Prague

Kryptonite

The AE bus is, or was the last time I used it 60Kc, drops you at the Palladium shopping centre or the main train station (Praha hlavní nádraží) 

If you want to go the quickest route, there are transit ticket machines in the baggage halls in Prague airport, I think a 3 day pass is about £12 you can get the 119 bus outside both terminals to Nadrazi Veleslavin which is on the green line, it goes right through the heart of the city. 

Taxi companies have booths in the terminal buildings and it would be about 700kc in to the city with 40% a return  fare. If you are getting a taxi, download an app for them and book it through that, I speak enough Czech to speak to drivers and I still get hit with the occasional attempt at a 1000% mark-up on the price. 

I've never used Uber as most of the locals complain about unlicensed Ukrainian drivers and taxis can be just as inexpensive with the right company. 

8 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you want to go the quickest route, there are transit ticket machines in the baggage halls in Prague airport, I think a 3 day pass is about £12 you can get the 119 bus outside both terminals to Nadrazi Veleslavin which is on the green line, it goes right through the heart of the city. 

^^^^^

100% this

11 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

The 119 then the metro to digs is how I did it, I think. Cheap, quick and painless.

On the subject of stag do's The city have been clamping down on the strip club industry in the last year, particularly in Prague 1.  Immigration raids found dozens of women working on tourist visas and were deported. Several clubs have been forced to close.  It looks like a deliberate move to try and finally clear its reputation of a sleazy, lads destination. 

I rarely go out in Prague 1 any more but I have noticed a reduction of the amount of stag weekends there and a lot more middle-aged couples. 

59 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you were on a stag do..........very

I've never had a problem with the people of CZ, always very friendly, Slovaks even more so. 

No, I was by myself.  I didn't have anyone being particularly nasty, but by and large they seemed awfully surly and cold.

No, I was by myself.  I didn't have anyone being particularly nasty, but by and large they seemed awfully surly and cold.

The place is absolutely overrun with tourists, some of whom have no idea how to behave. I can understand why some locals are less than effusive with their welcome just after Dazza'a stag do have been there with their zany antics

I know some Edinburgh people who hate the place when it's chock a block with tourists.

Can't say I found that in Prague either. People are a bit more serious and straight up rather than the smiley, almost false polite you get in the UK, but it isn't hostile or unfriendly. Nothing wrong with that. 

Slovakia I found to be different - the only place I've  been where was torn-faced and fucking miserable. Even then they weren't hostile or unfriendly, just miserable. 

• 3 weeks later...

Just back from a 'Prague Stag' and it was great.

The city itself is beautiful.  The architecture, the bridges,  all really great.  They love their beer there too the old Czechs.  We went to the Staropramen brewery and got to sample several different selections of their beers.  I was a fucking mess on Friday night so couldn't really enjoy it as much when sampling.  The shooting range we went to in the morning was fun too when I was absolutely rattling from the night before.  But my aim was still decent.

It was also fucking freezing.  One of the locals told us they had 2ft of snow just 10 days earlier.  Felt like we just missed it either side of our trip.

Would recommend to a friend, and some enemies.

2 hours ago, Comrie said:

I may be going to a stag do in Prague later this year, possibly during the tail end of September.

We went to the shooting range Top Gun Prague.  Which is actually 45 minutes north of Prague.  The manager is an ex-marine Geordie.  It's great fun and the trainers are all locals and great crack.  Really safe too and they have a bar where you get a beer and a baguette as part of the package.  Would recommend.

I really enjoyed wandering around the city, but good lord, how unfriendly are the locals?!
Yeah I found this. Obviously it's just your luck what kind of people you run into but for the most part they were c***s. Even looking around the tourist shops I felt they would rather I went elsewhere. I've always said I'd go back to the city in a heartbeat but the locals are what put me off. If you can't be fucked with tourists don't work in an area surrounded by tourists.

I found the locals were fine.  We were in an old school beer hall, complete with an accordion player walking around and playing his merry tunes for us,  and the guys next to us were pretty talkative, and were telling us the best places to go etc.  The barmen and barwomen were great too.