European draws

wastecoatwilly

4 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

Why would you want the EPL teams? I'd want to avoid them more than most of the others.

I really fancy a crack at Arsenal or Spurs. I reckon we'd give them a right good go.

But if it's not to be then I want the easiest draw possible to maximise win bonuses and coefficient points.

2 minutes ago, G51 said:

I really fancy a crack at Arsenal or Spurs. I reckon we'd give them a right good go.

But if it's not to be then I want the easiest draw possible to maximise win bonuses and coefficient points.

I get from the geographical rivalry standpoint, but take that away and the first sentence doesn't line up with the last six words.

Wouldn't you rather play the EPL teams in a Knockout round game?

5 minutes ago, AmericanFan said:

I get from the geographical rivalry standpoint, but take that away and the first sentence doesn't line up with the last six words.

Wouldn't you rather play the EPL teams in a Knockout round game?

Knockout stage or group stage, doesn't bother me.

It's not just geographical rivalry, though that's a major part of it for me. It's the fact that I genuinely don't think Spurs or Arsenal are top-tier and I'm interested to see where we match up against them.

31 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Scottish teams have not been beat over 90 minutes against English teams in the last 5 competitive matches.  

Unless my maths is wrong (and there's a good chance of that) there's a 44% chance of a Scottish club drawing an English club, so we might see if that gets extended.

Celtic & Rangers are paired, so will go into different halves, as are Arsenal and Spurs. Leicester are not paired. In one half of the groups there will be 2 English clubs between the 6 groups, so that's a 2 in 3 chance of them not being paired. In the other half there's a 5 in 6 chance of them not being paired. Multiplying them gives a 56% chance of neither being paired.

I so badly need to get a life.

1 hour ago, AmericanFan said:

Why would you want the EPL teams? I'd want to avoid them more than most of the others.

I find them more interesting. Celtic v Leicester would be more appealing to me than if Celtic got Qarabag. Also I'd prefer Rangers to draw Spurs than Gent. 

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

Unless my maths is wrong (and there's a good chance of that) there's a 44% chance of a Scottish club drawing an English club, so we might see if that gets extended.

Celtic & Rangers are paired, so will go into different halves, as are Arsenal and Spurs. Leicester are not paired. In one half of the groups there will be 2 English clubs between the 6 groups, so that's a 2 in 3 chance of them not being paired. In the other half there's a 5 in 6 chance of them not being paired. Multiplying them gives a 56% chance of neither being paired.

I so badly need to get a life.

Celtic can only get Leicester the other two are in the same pot as Celtic,There will be 3 groups out of 8 with English teams so sevco will have a decent chance of getting one.

3 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Celtic can only get Leicester the other two are in the same pot as Celtic,There will be 3 groups out of 8 with English teams so sevco will have a decent chance of getting one.

There are 12 groups in the Europa League

43 minutes ago, wastecoatwilly said:

A shit, yeah, forgot Celtic managed to fluke their way into pot 1. I'm not used to Scottish and English teams in the same pot. 

hey ho.

Edited by GordonS

5 minutes ago, GordonS said:

A shit, yeah, forgot Celtic managed to fluke their way into pot 1. I'm not used to Scottish and English teams in the same pot. 

Also forgot there are 12 groups, so I really couldn't have got that more wrong if I tried.

hey ho.

Can't believe we are in pot 1, the effect of the one off games has changed the qualifying, maybe something that should be put in place going forward.

Edited by wastecoatwilly

3 minutes ago, GordonS said:

I think Celtic needed Wolfsburg, Copenhagen, Basel, Sporting and Plzen all to get beat to get in the top pot and they all managed it. 3 of them at home as well.

19 minutes ago, Stevie67 said:
22 minutes ago, GordonS said:
Also forgot there are 12 groups, so I really couldn't have got that more wrong if I tried.
hey ho.

Earned ...not fluked .

The number of quality of teams ranked above them that had to be knocked out by lower ranked clubs was pretty surprising, at least. That wasn't in their control so it was luck.