European draws

wastecoatwilly

Toughies for Aberdeen, hopefully facing better opposition will get the best of of the team on the counter attack. Can see the sheep defending and defending deep and hopefully McInnes drills them in defending lots whilst counter attacking in numbers. I feel this would be Aberdeen's best strategy to get any sort of result.

Hibs look as if they have got a decent chance but we'll find out eventually. The defence needs sorted.

Sevco's chances might be totally against them as I think the Croat's are no mugs and their country is a conveyor belt of talent just behind Belgium. Didn't see anything from the previous round to suggest they will have it easy on the night or that they will score goals against far better opposition. Haven't seen their defence tested in any meaningful way either.

AEK Athens? I'll wait to see if Rosenborg can be beaten first although I have confidence Celtic will progress because Rosenborg appear to be a basket case atm. Only problem might be the new manager will get them firing on all cylinders playing as a coherent team.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Hibs are going to have the tougher draw if they get past molde when the draw gets made tomorrow.
Group 2 
seeded: FC Basel*, FC København*, NK Maribor*, FCSB* 
unseeded: Apollon Limassol*, Atalanta*, FC Ufa*, Rapid Wien* 
Group 3 
seeded: Zenit St. Petersburg*, Olympiakos Piraeus*, Racing Genk*, Sporting Braga*, Feyenoord* 
unseeded: RB Leipzig*, Brøndby IF*, Molde FK*, Sturm Graz*, Burnley FC*

2 hours ago, wastecoatwilly said:

Looks like Hibs are going to have the tougher draw if they get past molde when the draw gets made tomorrow.
Group 2 
seeded: FC Basel*, FC København*, NK Maribor*, FCSB* 
unseeded: Apollon Limassol*, Atalanta*, FC Ufa*, Rapid Wien* 
Group 3 
seeded: Zenit St. Petersburg*, Olympiakos Piraeus*, Racing Genk*, Sporting Braga*, Feyenoord* 
unseeded: RB Leipzig*, Brøndby IF*, Molde FK*, Sturm Graz*, Burnley FC*

Yeah that's unfortunate. Begging and hoping for Genk surely. 

I think Hibs will get past Molde tbf

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Remember that it's possible that one of those sides could end up losing, and Hibs/Molde could end up playing whoever beats them.

Indeed, although I can't see Zenit losing to Dinamo Minsk. The other seeds may have more difficulty, which is in effect another reason for Hibs wanting to avoid Zenit.

Rangers could get an even bigger diddy (e.g. Progres Niedercorn!!!)

Just noticed that the six losers in the ‘champions path’ of CL Q3 drop into the Europa league playoff (as per every other round).

However, controversially, the losers from the ‘non-champions path’ of CL Q3 seem to drop straight into the Europa group stage.

So you have clubs eliminated at the same stage of CL qualifying but some have to play a Europa qualifier whilst others don’t.

Have I got that wrong? It just seems blatantly unfair although it fits the UEFA mandate of assisting clubs from ‘bigger leagues’.

On 8/11/2018 at 10:05, Clyde01 said:

Just noticed that the six losers in the ‘champions path’ of CL Q3 drop into the Europa league playoff (as per every other round).

However, controversially, the losers from the ‘non-champions path’ of CL Q3 seem to drop straight into the Europa group stage.

So you have clubs eliminated at the same stage of CL qualifying but some have to play a Europa qualifier whilst others don’t.

Have I got that wrong? It just seems blatantly unfair although it fits the UEFA mandate of assisting clubs from ‘bigger leagues’.

No, you're correct. The losers from the non-champions part, in QR3 as well as the playoff, go straight into the EL group.

The only two exceptions to this are the two losers in CL QR2 (Basel and Sturm Graz), who are now playing in EL QR3.

Edited by JamesM82