European draws

wastecoatwilly

June 19, 2017 draw for 1st and 2nd qualifying round Champions League 
draw for 1st and 2nd qualifying round Europa League                                                                                                                                     
July 14, 2017 draw for 3rd qualifying round Champions League 
draw for 3rd qualifying round Europa League                                                                                                                                      
August 4, 2017 draw for 4th qualifying round (play-off round) Champions League 
draw for 4th qualifying round (play-off round) Europa League                                                                                                                                           

Scottish teams need to win at lease 16 games in this years European competition  
For me there is no rivalry here just helping the co-efficient so we can get rid of these qualifiers

Guest DAVIDB69
June 19, 2017 draw for 1st and 2nd qualifying round Champions League 
draw for 1st and 2nd qualifying round Europa League                                                                                                                                     
July 14, 2017 draw for 3rd qualifying round Champions League 
draw for 3rd qualifying round Europa League                                                                                                                                      
August 4, 2017 draw for 4th qualifying round (play-off round) Champions League 
draw for 4th qualifying round (play-off round) Europa League                                                                                                                                           

Scottish teams need to win at lease 16 games in this years European competition  
For me there is no rivalry here just helping the co-efficient so we can get rid of these qualifiers

Can't see us ever going back up the rankings galatasary in the second qualify round seems incredible. If any of the non Celtic teams get to the third qualifying round they have done well, beyond that would be unlikely

5 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Can't see us ever going back up the rankings galatasary in the second qualify round seems incredible. If any of the non Celtic teams get to the third qualifying round they have done well, beyond that would be unlikely

For me Scotland should be in the top 15
2nd qualifying round should give Scotland 6 wins maybe a bit optimistic but very possible

Guest DAVIDB69
For me Scotland should be in the top 15
2nd qualifying round should give Scotland 6 wins maybe a bit optimistic but very possible

They would need very favourable draws not something sides get that often, more likely trips to the burning july heat of somewhere like armenia

57 minutes ago, DAVIDB69 said:

They would need very favourable draws not something sides get that often, more likely trips to the burning july heat of somewhere like armenia

Thinking the 2nd qualifying is regionalize so hopefully teams a bit closer but maybe teams half way through their season like scandinavia 

Edited by wastecoatwilly

Guest DAVIDB69
Thinking the 2nd qualifying is regionalize so hopefully teams a bit closer but maybe teams half way through their season like scandinavia 

Sadly the regionalisation has been binned

1 hour ago, DAVIDB69 said:

Sadly the regionalisation has been binned

Looking at the stats from last year together we won 9 draw in 6 and lost 9 finishing 19th
With st johnstone and rangers coming in it looks a stronger quartet
i remain optimistic if we play between 20 and 30 games we should do better than last year

As usual the realistic aim should be everyone playing to their seedings.

That means Celtic reaching CL groups, Aberdeen and St Johnstone reaching EL QR3 and Rangers EL QR2. If someone does worse then we need someone else to do better (e.g. St Johnstone only reach QR2 but Rangers reach QR3). Ideally some WWs or WDs.

Where does this "need" to win "at least 16 games" stat come from? That's wildly optimistic and exceeds requirements. It wouldn't surprise me if we haven't done that since 1966-67.

Even in the heady heights of 2007-08... Celtic in CL Last 16, Rangers in UC Final, Aberdeen in UC knockouts... we "only" won 11.

We're currently 23rd; before any points generated in 2017-18 that's 24th; anyone upto 18th is realistically catchable mid-term, but in short-term 18th-19th is tall order and 20th quite tough; however anything 18th-24th doesn't affect slots or start points anyway.

EDIT: For context - in the season just ended Russia only won 16 games; Netherlands 16; Portugal 9. Lowest to win 16 was Israel (13th). We won 9. 

Edited by HibeeJibee

20 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

As usual the realistic aim should be everyone playing to their seedings.

That means Celtic reaching CL groups, Aberdeen and St Johnstone reaching EL QR3 and Rangers EL QR2. If someone does worse then we need someone else to do better (e.g. St Johnstone only reach QR2 but Rangers reach QR3). Ideally some WWs or WDs.

Where does this "need" to win "at least 16 games" stat come from? That's wildly optimistic and exceeds requirements. It wouldn't surprise me if we haven't done that since 1966-67.

Even in the heady heights of 2007-08... Celtic in CL Last 16, Rangers in UC Final, Aberdeen in UC knockouts... we "only" won 11.

We're currently 23rd; before any points generated in 2017-18 that's 24th; anyone upto 18th is realistically catchable mid-term, but in short-term 18th-19th is tall order and 20th quite tough; however anything 18th-24th doesn't affect slots or start points anyway.

EDIT: For context - in the season just ended Russia only won 16 games; Netherlands 16; Portugal 9. Lowest to win 16 was Israel (13th). We won 9. 

For me it's 4 wins each it's not much to ask
Yes Celtic could win more as the strongest team
But this is what is needed each season to get into the top 15
Teams get points for draws so it becomes the equivalent of 16 wins
If we do better in Europe it's a win win for the league and the teams who enter.

It seems an arbitrary and highly unrealistic figure: unless they get an easy team in QR1 and win home-n-away how realistic is it that (say) St Johnstone are going to win 4 games?

I've had a look and since Dundee Utd made the UEFA Cup Final 30yrs ago the only non-OF club to do it was Hearts in 1988-89 :lol:. It's been by no means common for Celtic or Rangers either.

It'd be nice to see one of the Europa teams reach at least the playoff round. Delay the usual hysteria that surrounds our teams exiting Europe for a while. Celtic should be looking at the CL groups obviously and depending on their draw, second/third. A last 16 apperance or progress in the Europa would be a job well done for them.

49 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

It'd be nice to see one of the Europa teams reach at least the playoff round. .

I think, realistically, that's about as far as any the 3 teams could go. It would be incredibly difficult for St Johnstone and Rangers in particular as only 6 teams out of 576 have ever made it to the groups from the first round. 

From a Rangers perspective, ideally they'd get to at least the 3rd round with hopefully some big crowds at Ibrox for the money.

Getting to QR3 will be an achievement for all three Scottish EL teams. Rangers could play the likes of Galatasaray in QR2 as they're unseeded while even the unseeded sides will be relatively handy. The seeds in QR3 will include the likes of Athletic Bilbao and Everton. The chances of anyone getting to the playoff round are effectively zero barring seeded teams crashing out early combined with kind draws and a big slice of luck.

We should have made the playoff the year we went out to Minsk-but badly missed out on the luck element, losing a home game we absolutely dominated having beaten them in Belarus before losing a penalty shoot out. I'm pretty sure we only ended up with such a pish opponent that season because they'd maybe unexpectedly beaten someone decent in QR2? We certainly weren't seeded for it.

I think, realistically, that's about as far as any the 3 teams could go. It would be incredibly difficult for St Johnstone and Rangers in particular as only 6 teams out of 576 have ever made it to the groups from the first round. 
From a Rangers perspective, ideally they'd get to at least the 3rd round with hopefully some big crowds at Ibrox for the money.

It's a ridiculous things there's so many qualifying rounds, although, I suppose it's our own fault for falling so low we have to enter so early.