My daft laddie Junior football questions

GordonS

I'm not immersed in Junior football history, and though I've grown to love it over the years I feel I'm missing a lot of stuff that everyone just seems to know. So I thought the off season was a good time to ask my daft laddie questions 

Why do Irvine Meadow have 'XI' in their name?

What's that eeka-peeka-lala-po thing Talbot fans do?

Why are Bonnyrigg Rose known as the big rose? Is it genuine or ironic?

Any help?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, GordonS said:

I'm not immersed in Junior football history, and though I've grown to love it over the years I feel I'm missing a lot of stuff that everyone just seems to know. So I thought the off season was a good time to ask my daft laddie questions 

Why do Irvine Meadow have 'XI' in their name?

What's that eeka-peeka-lala-po thing Talbot fans do?

Why are Bonnyrigg Rose known as the big rose? Is it genuine or ironic?

Any help?

I understand that Irvine Meadow XI was the name of the youth or amateur team who started playing at Meadow Park when they became tenants to the then owners Irvine Celtic. When Irvine Celtic folded, Irvine Meadow XI continued playing at Meadow Park, although they weren't the owners at the time. The club developed to Junior status and retained the original name.

Something like that anyway. 

Why are Kilwinning Rangers called the Buffs?

According to the History of Kilwinning Rangers F.C. published in 1999 there's no definitive answer, but they've been called that since at least 1900.

It is suggested it could be taken from the same nickname of an army regiment one of the players served in; or a name suggested by a prominent fan with "buff" being a slang term at the time for smashing/brilliant; or the author of the book suggests that it was because they wore "buff" coloured jerseys (dull yellow) at some point in the early days.

8 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Why are Kilwinning Rangers called the Buffs?

Because in the olden days they all lived up the Old Woodwynd and were forest dwellers with no clothes and used to play in the nudie, true thing, part of old Kilwinkie legend myths.

Abbey Park is on the site of the former ' BUTTS ' which was where they held shooting practice, bows and arrows, darts, pea-shooters, spud-guns and muskets and sawn-off elephant guns.  Perhaps, ( a big perhaps, perhaps) the soldiers known as the 'BUFFS' had a connection to the shooting of rifles, who really knows, it's all conjecture anyway. 

Eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka
eeka peeka
eeka peeka pukka po!

Talbot had a deaf and dumb supporter who used to join in the terrace sing songs and his favourite was "We'll support you ever more" when he sang along it sounded like "Eeka peeka pukka po" so in the 1970's the Talbot support adopted his rendition. It's now the best known song in the Scottish non league scene and has now become the club anthem.

Just now, A.M said:

Eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka pukka po
eeka peeka
eeka peeka
eeka peeka pukka po!

Talbot had a deaf and dumb supporter who used to join in the terrace sing songs and his favourite was "We'll support you ever more" when he sang along it sounded like "Eeka peeka pukka po" so in the 1970's the Talbot support adopted his rendition. It's now the best known song in the Scottish non league scene and has now become the club anthem.

Is he still with us?

1 minute ago, Shanner said:

Kilbirne / blasties. Could never work that one out.

only learned this season that Beith The Cabes related to the cabinet making industry in the town.

Kilbirnie, BLAST FURNACES, where they used to make pigs out of iron and slide them into Kilbirnie Lake to make a big splash and light up the night sky.  Passed for fun in old Bridget's Toon.   I briefly sojourned in Avils Hill, then they knocked it down. (perhaps from the Latin 'Avila@ for a wee birdie

Ardrossan Winton Rovers.

The Earls of Eglinton (Montgomeries - whom built Eaglesham, Ardrossan and its harbour, and originated in Normandy at the place of the same name, nearly, Mont Gommery, but were before that bloody Vikings) who were masters of most of all they surveyed in North Ayrshire and by marriage into polite Edinburgh Society, namely the Setons and the Wyntouns, hence Seton Street and Winton Street, so the Rovers could have called themselves Winton because they pitched up at the top of Winton Street, although it's almost possible that the street was named after them ( kidding) given that this was at least their 3rd venue.  There is a book and website on t'internet with their history.

As a little aside for lovers of Ardrossan history, my first official paid by wages job was with Ardrossan Town Council out of Kilmahew House and in the surveyors' department I was shown the original Town Plan, as instructed by the then Earl of Eglinton, and Seton Street and Winton Street were projected much further into Saltcoats but this was interrupted by the Railways.  

The Eglintons were big investors in their New Age of Industrialisation project of a canal from their harbour at Ardrossan to Glasgow via Paisley.   Land was purchased, stolen, suborned, whatever and construction at various parts completed, especially the Paisley Canal to Eglinton Docks in Glasgow's Southside. (READ.ALL.ABOUT.IT - Great Canal Ferry disaster 1800 canteen) and he changed the whole scheme over to Railways. 

There was a competing railway from Glasgow to Ardrossan, that's why there were 5 Railway Stations in Ardrossan, namely Montgomerie St & the Pier.  South Beach, Ardrossan Town, Ardrossan Harbour.

20 minutes ago, fan of the juniors said:

The blast furnaces in Kilbirnie were actually Glengarnock . Big story & 1 which I couldn't do justice . Will leave that to clash city rocker who can explain the whole story . Part I know refers to Burns who bought a horse in Kilbirnie

Of course, I could be wrong, but, check out this old map of the area and it shows the Ladeside Football Ground at the end of Mill Road ( Ladeside - geddit?) and it's in Kilbirnie on the road leading from the Cross named as Maybole Street becoming Mill Road).

The current ground is nearer Glengarnock and is also shown on the map, so perhaps that could have been Glengarnock Cherrychuckers and the Blasties had their own place and were plagued by Threadpullers or RopeTwisters or even Bumble Bees, AKA Blasties, which could also account for their team colours.

http://maps.nls.uk/view/75662158

1 hour ago, Marlowe said:

Kilbirnie, BLAST FURNACES, where they used to make pigs out of iron and slide them into Kilbirnie Lake to make a big splash and light up the night sky.  Passed for fun in old Bridget's Toon.   I briefly sojourned in Avils Hill, then they knocked it down. (perhaps from the Latin 'Avila@ for a wee birdie

1 hour ago, cmontheloknow said:

Is it not some Burns reference?

Cheers, the Burns one sounds more plausible to me but I suppose there are no right or wrong answers to these things. 

2 hours ago, glensmad said:

I understand that Irvine Meadow XI was the name of the youth or amateur team who started playing at Meadow Park when they became tenants to the then owners Irvine Celtic. When Irvine Celtic folded, Irvine Meadow XI continued playing at Meadow Park, although they weren't the owners at the time. The club developed to Junior status and retained the original name.

Something like that anyway. 

Yes that's it. The tradition at the time was that lower teams associated with a higher team adopted the higher team’s name followed by the ground and rounded off with “XI”. So in the past we have had Kilmarnock Rugby XI, Queen’s Park Hampden XI,  Rangers Ibrox XI and Hibernian Easter XI. Irvine Celtic, a Junior club, played at Meadow Park. When a Juvenile team’s request to play at Meadow Park was accepted they followed convention and called themselves Irvine Celtic Meadow XI. When Irvine Celtic disbanded in 1895 the Juvenile club continued to play at Meadow Park but dropped the “Celtic” part from its name.

Archived