Good Scottish bands

Miguel Sanchez

There used to be a fantastic unsigned band called John Wean, they were on the scene about five years ago.

They hailed from Uddingston. I never had the opportunity to see them, something that I regret.

You can imagine my surprise when I walked into a cafe at a ski field over here in New Zealand the other week only to see the singer playing a set.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/07/2017 at 10:04, bob the tank said:

You remember Blue..I thought I was the only person who did that. One good album of pop rock then disappeared

The first "Blue"album was superb and two great singles - "Red Light song" and "Little Jody"; they did have a second album "Life in the Navy" released in 1974 and opened that tour at the Caledonian Hotel in Inverness, one off the first gigs I attended.  

Edited by PRS
additional info

The Blue Nile. Particularly the first two albums, is enough to make them not just the best Scottish band ever but probably my favourite band off all time;

Big Country around the time off the "Crossing" were wonderful live.  Remember seeing them early 1983 at the Nite Club above the Playhouse in Edinburgh around the time "Fields of Fire" charted and remains the most exciting concert I have ever been to

11 hours ago, sandros5 said:

Figure 5

Apart from wee Baba the drummer, they were utter bawz.

Hanging about McChuills like it was Parnaby Street circa 1966. Cringe. About as psychedelic as my last jobby.

On 17/06/2017 at 18:08, 8MileBU said:

The Exploited are fucking class.

Biffy are overrated art-student dross.

Glasvegas should have every bit of their music wiped from existence and never be spoken of again.

the exploited did they do the  opening song for 'made in britain'  

Most of my favourite (and least favourite) bands have already been mentioned but ...

Mull Historical Society and Neon Waltz are also worth a mention.

Davy Henderson's stuff is always worth a listen (Fire Engines, Win, Nectarine No.9 etc)

James Yorkston along with 'Fence Records' associated acts Beta Band, Lone Pigeon, Pictish Trail, King Creosote etc. have more than a good few albums between them.

Withered Hand also worth a wee shout.

Biggest surprise is no mention of the Incredible String Band.

Just remembered The Phantom Band and Superstar (possibly the most underrated Scottish band).

Edited by mighty meadow
Forgot about

4 hours ago, Boostin' Kev said:

We don't have many good bands really do we? 

Yes and no.

We have a really vibrant live music scene, particularly in Glasgow.

We have a decent enough collection of bands that have released good music over the years. Not necessarily right now - we tend to go through phases where we have some interesting bands and phases where we really struggle for anybody decent at a local/national level.

We've only really had a handful of genuinely massive bands over the years.