League 1 - 2017/18

On 6/19/2017 at 10:00, Raithie said:

I suppose I should start paying more attention to this league and the teams in it.

Guess so.

Dunfermline took 3, 4 seasons of big budgets to get promoted from here.

And all the while their posters went on, and on, and on ....

about how they were too good for League 1.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, beefybake said:

Guess so.

Dunfermline took 3, 4 seasons of big budgets to get promoted from here.

And all the while their posters went on, and on, and on ....

about how they were too good for League 1.

I think there's a slight degree of sarcasm from some of our posters. A lot of us know the league will be tough (our squad isn't even completed yet)...and the fact it's Raith Rovers and we know what the rollercoaster that is following our club involves.

• 9 months later...
On 6/18/2017 at 20:27, Gordon EF said:

1st: Raith Rovers - Think their relegation was more a case of horrendous management rather than them having bad players. They've got the core of a very good squad at L1 level and Buchanan and Spence are cracking signings. Barry Smith's a good manager working with what should be the biggest budget in the league. I think he'll do the job and win the title.

2nd: Ayr Utd - They were at least competitive in the Championship last season and are full time so you'd expect them to be there or thereabouts. Not too much change in the squad but their signings look quite impressive, particularly Moffat and Geggan. I can see them having a ding-dong battle with Raith but just losing out.

3rd: Alloa - I'm not sure their squad looks quite as strong as last season. Losing Spence and Kirkpatrick will blunt them significantly. Most of their signings look pretty solid but I'm not sure they're as good as the players they've lost. Goodwin's first full season in charge should be a test for him. I'd be surprised if they didn't finish top 4 but doubt they'll push for the title.

4th: Stranraer - Gibson seems like he'll be missed but their signings have been impressive. Farrel obviously got a bit of improvement from the squad last season and they'll definitely be looking to take a play-off spot this year.

5th: East Fife - Obviously a fair bit of change but I think the appointment of Darren Young is a good one. I'm also pretty pleased with the players we've retained and signed. Willis and Miller seem solid signings and Mark Docherty should be an excellent one. Getting the likes of Kyle Wilkie and Chris Duggan back to full fitness will seem like new signings. If we can keep key players fit, we should be making a serious play-off push.

6th: Arbroath - Look a decent team from last season and haven't changed much around. Pinching O'Brien and Denholm from Forfar seems a good bit of business. Campbell's an experienced manager and the continuity they've got from last season should see them looking to make a serious tilt at the top 4.

7th: Airdrie - They have the biggest questions marks over them in the league at this stage. The situation seems to be a bit of a shambles with Wilson being punted at the end of June. Gut feeling is they'll get someone reasonably experienced in and have enough cash to build a passable L1 squad but I can't see them challenging near the top of the league. How well they do will depend heavily on whether they keep Andy Ryan.

8th: Queen's Park - Losing McGeever is a blow but it looks like business as usual at Hampden. Their success is dependent on whether Gus McPherson can keep unearthing gems from the juniors. He always seems to be able to do it though.

9th: Albion Rovers - Big changes here so difficult to predict. They've lost a lot of the team that's done reasonably well over the past couple of years and the replacements so far have been a bit of a mixed bag. Marr, Holmes and Trouten seem like excellent signings, Victoria and Higgins maybe not so much. A lot will depend on Brian Kerr's unknown managerial ability. I do think it'll be a relegation struggle for Rovers this season though.

10th: Forfar - Seem to be in a bit of turmoil. For all they did well to win the play-off, they had a poor end to last season and nobody really seems to rate Bollan. Not much new blood been brought into the squad. You'd think Denholm and O'Brien should be missed but haven't really been replaced so far. McBride is a decent player but they'll need more to avoid a relegation scrap.

Pretty happy with that prediction tbh. Obviously got Raith and Ayr the wrong way round but did predict a "ding-dong battle" to the end . Then it was only underestimating Arbroath and Forfar by two spots. And, to be fair, Forfar wrong-footed by by ditching Bollan early and brining in a proper manager.

5 hours ago, Gordon EF said:

Pretty happy with that prediction tbh. Obviously got Raith and Ayr the wrong way round but did predict a "ding-dong battle" to the end . Then it was only underestimating Arbroath and Forfar by two spots. And, to be fair, Forfar wrong-footed by by ditching Bollan early and brining in a proper manager.

Don't think there's any doubt we'd have finished last if we'd stuck with  Bollan.

I think there's a slight degree of sarcasm from some of our posters. A lot of us know the league will be tough (our squad isn't even completed yet)...and the fact it's Raith Rovers and we know what the rollercoaster that is following our club involves.

Called it.

On 16/06/2017 at 23:53, itzdrk said:

IMO

1. Ayr

2. Stinlar

3. Raith 

4. Alloa

5. East Fife

6. Arbroath

7. Queens Park 

8. Forfar

9. Airdrie

10. Albion Rovers

Fucked it but not an awful effort

On ‎05‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 14:25, ayrunitedfw said:

1. Raith Rovers

2. Stranraer

3.Arbroath

4. Alloa Athletic

5. Ayr United

6. East Fife

7. Albion Rovers

8. Queens Park

9. Airdrieonians

10. Forfar Athletic

Ha-ha, get it right up me.

Getting closer to the season starting so I figured I might as well jump on the bandwagon.

1. Ayr United
2. Alloa Athletic
3. Raith Rovers
4. Stranraer
5. East Fife
6. Albion Rovers
7. Airdrie
8. Arbroath
9. Queens Park
10. Forfar Athletic

Pish

Got the only team that matters right though

On ‎6‎/‎18‎/‎2017 at 12:52, Rovers1992/1993 said:

To be fair, I think only one poster has predicted us to finish out with top 4. Most people has us finishing top or at the very least 2nd to Ayr.

2nd to Ayr. Did it in style :lol: The best bit o bottle crashing  (HEEEEEE , HEEEEEEEEEEEEE ) :thumsup2 

On 04/07/2017 at 09:19, AyrTroopMajor said:

1. Ayr United

2. Raith Rovers

3. East Fife

4. Stranraer

5. Arbroath

6. Alloa

7. Airdrie

8. Queen's Park

9. Forfar Athletic

10. Albion Rovers

First managerial sacking: Gaz B to be punted from Station Park pre-Hallowe'en.

Highest crowd: 3762 (Ayr United v Albion Rovers, crowning of the Champions)

Lowest crowd: 312 (Albion Rovers v Stranraer, midweek wash-oot)

Called 1st place (yaaaassss), called 2nd place, called last place and called the punting of Gary Bollan. Will 100% take that. 

• 3 weeks later...

Came across the posts today and historical reviews made interesting reading. I think most of us thought it would be between Ayr and Raith and whilst I was unwilling to predict I did get it right that we would toil but thankfully we did survive all the off field distractions and on field poverty. Just did enough to make it less of a sweat thanks to everybody else cutting each others throats. I was really surprised at how Albion sank in those last seven weeks, and the guys who got rid of Gary Bollan , turned Forfar around. Arbroath did take me aback by how good they were for so long but it was no shock for Alloa to go up. We were never in the top 5 for most of the season so anything better this year will cheer me up. I will go for a 1-10 when I see the assembled squads but Raith and Arbroath will be in top 4. Looking forward to it.

Archived