Mayweather vs. McGregor

BradHorse

Someone suggested a dedicated topic for this to save cluttering both sports' topics with the expected shit-storm coming, and I think it's a good idea. 

To start? My stance is McGregor doesn't have strictly *no* chance. I like a bet so when I weigh up a fight I normally put a number on the percentage I think they are to win a fight and if the bookie lines are in my favour in regards to my estimations then I'll take a punt.

My guess on this is McGregor has a 5-10% chance of victory. Currently the lines are something utterly ridiculous at like 4/1 and anyone taking that against Mayweather deserves to lose their money imo. 

The build up is gonna be fun though eh? Part of the reason I felt this fight deserved it's own thread. It's not an exaggeration to say that nobody can own a crowd and get in an opponent's head the way McGregor can since Ali. That's the reason the 5% chance I give him could be potentially a 10% chance. 

Let's be honest, we're all gonna watch it eh? 

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best boxers on the planet, many destined for the hall of fame and a couple of all time greats, having been trying and failing to punch Floyd Mayweather for the best part of 20 years.  He's facing a man who's boxing skills have looked limited at best, when sparring.  It's an exhibition fight and nothing else.

Agreed though, anyone putting money on McGregor at 4/1 needs sectioned.

20 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

The best boxers on the planet, many destined for the hall of fame and a couple of all time greats, having been trying and failing to punch Floyd Mayweather for the best part of 20 years.  He's facing a man who's boxing skills have looked limited at best, when sparring.  It's an exhibition fight and nothing else.

Wouldn't argue with a single word here.

All the casuals are going on about McGregor's size, reach, power and youth advantage - and these things all definitely do play a factor - but he's swimming in different waters. He's a badminton player going for a tennis match. 

Having said that though, and personally thinking that psychology is an extremely underrated part of elite sport, McGregor has a really weird, unique mindset. I've never seen anyone with more self-confidence and I truly think he could get in Mayweather's head and get him to fight a fight that suits McGregor. Fanciful, maybe. But that, along with his power, is what I think just makes him a plucky underdog. 

I'd put a bet on him at 10/1. Definitely.

4/1 is just baiting the idiots and the bookies must be laughing taking those bets.

McGregor has a punchers chance, as every boxer has.
That a guy with limited amateur experience is being allowed into the ring with possibly the best boxer of this generation, & one of the all time greats, is ridiculous, verging on the nigh on dangerous.
His chances of success range between 0 & 2% &, IMO, the fight ends when Floyd decides it does.
It is not an MMA bout.

I give him a 1/100 shot and I think that's being generous. Canelo had size, reach, power and youth over him and got nowhere near him.

Expecting someone to get inside Mayweather's head is a bit daft as well given what he's done over the years. Multiple people have tried and failed

If you guys think that McGregor has a 1 or 2% chance then I'd suggest hitting the bookies. 

Mayweather is 1/6 right now and at that price you're printing money if you're right.

A guy that's been outboxed by Nate Diaz is to box a guy that stopped Ricky Hatton in his pomp.

Anything short of a total lesson for McGregor and I'm calling serious shenanigans.

McGregor wouldn't even beat a notorious glass jaw like Amir Khan.  I like BradHorse's comment - he's a badminton player going for a tennis match.

5 hours ago, JakeSAFC said:

Mayweather won't KO McGregor, but he will certainly win.

If Nate Diaz can punch him that much that he ultimately surrenders on the floor then I'm pretty sure Floyd can knock him out.....if he wants to.

For all of those who are saying it's just an exhibition fight can I please ask you all to take a minute to remember the horrors that were inflicted on us when Apollo Creed fought Ivan Drago in what was supposed to be an exhibition fight.

If Nate Diaz can punch him that much that he ultimately surrenders on the floor then I'm pretty sure Floyd can knock him out.....if he wants to.

Floyd's not knocked anyone out in years, can't see him knocking out McGregor.

Will go all the way and Floyd will win it on points.

Archived