Scottish Cup 2018-19 qualifying

HibeeJibee

1 hour ago, HibeeJibee said:

March 31st is league promotions.

Scottish Cup is June 30th, IIRC.

That’s good news. LTHV deserve a cup run after running Kelty so close for the League this year.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, Marten said:

The cut off for Scottish Cup entry was 31st March. They got their license after that date, so they won't enter this season's cup. They will enter next season.

I've asked before and no one has been able to come with a source for that cutoff date. Suppose we'll just have to wait until the format and team are published by the SFA or until the draw in early July.

18 hours ago, Marten said:

The cut off for Scottish Cup entry was 31st March. They got their license after that date, so they won't enter this season's cup. They will enter next season.

There’s no cut off for entry to the cup other than the rules say that the club needs to be licensed for the current season. The arbitrary date for the start of the new season is 1st July so, providing LTHV are awarded a license/full membership before then, they’ll be included in the draw for the PR.

Edit to add, despite that tweet from Haddington, I don’t think they have officially been awarded their license as yet. Assuming the ESL have been forced to take a punt that they will based on the feedback they’ve had from the club/SFA.

2 minutes ago, Hughsie said:

There’s no cut off for entry to the cup other than the rules say that the club needs to be licensed for the current season. The arbitrary date for the start of the new season is 1st July so, providing LTHV are awarded a license/full membership before then, they’ll be included in the draw for the PR.

Ok, thank you. I stand corrected. :)

On ‎06‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 23:24, ShrimpLok said:

So with the influx of ex Junior teams to the EOS I was trying to work out how many more teams could get a license without causing a problem for the current Scottish Cup format. 

To my surprise there is only room for three more teams to be licensed before you have a potential problem.

Once LTHV are confirmed, on paper there's only space for 2 more clubs, i.e. if every qualifying slot was used. Most likely that'll be surpassed in the coming season. However a similar situation occurred 2yrs ago when the number of members was patently going to exceed the space in R1, but instead of dealing with it advance it endedup a total mess with SFA Board putting members outside SPFL/HL/LL into a 2-stage preliminary - including randomly drawing some to play in PR1 - then having it approved at AGM the next year. Aside from the basic principle of members clubs who invested in licensing not getting to enter the competition proper, and only 6 clubs outside SPFL/HL/LL ever being able to reach the competition proper... this also produces glaring oddities like Hawick (relegated from tier 5) possibly entering in PR1, while Coldstream (4th bottom of tier 6), Girvan (not in pyramid at all) or Wigtown (in abeyance last season) might enter in PR2.

No-one in their right mind would advocate doing that elsewhere in the competition - e.g. randomly drawing Championship byes and then seeing Ross County or Dundee United enter in R3 while Morton or Ayr got byed to R4.

On ‎07‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 08:54, craigkillie said:

I posted about this a couple of months ago - the easiest solution is to make every Championship club enter at Round 3 rather than having some of them enter at Round 4.  If you do that, then you free up tons of spots in the earlier rounds and don't even have to worry about preliminary rounds.

If you eliminated all 4 Championship and 2 HL & LL byes you'd have 24 extra places in R1. Even eliminating half those byes would provide 12.

11 hours ago, sunnysider said:

When is the 1st pre lim draw made 

the  shortlees boys are looking for an away day out

Not sure about this year but it was 10th July last year so probably  still got a while to wait.

9 hours ago, mrman2011 said:

Really should have the North Caledonian League winners & A Welfare team 

Problem with Welfare football is it’s mainly summer teams and I think all the winter teams play Sunday football. Of the ten leagues I think only Greenock, Montrose and NE Scotland play winter football and Greenock don’t play in the National winter cup. 

But you could give a place to the Donald McNair cup winners without too much difficulty. 

Would be good to see the North Caledonian Cup winners in too to give Shetland and Lewis & Harris a chance to qualify. 

Could allow both Alex Jack and Southern Counties FA Alba Cup winners entry in their own right too instead of just the playoff winner, giving the smaller south teams a chance to qualify. 

That would only be max four extra teams but would spread the reach of the Scottish Cup much wider.

On 10/06/2018 at 22:06, Bundesliga Boy said:

Is their no official link confirming that Lothian Thi are now licensed? 

The nearest to an official link is the East of Scotland FA facebook posting in the comments saying "Yes we are draw soon we may get a bye Tom" (presumably that is Tom Allision of LTHV who is admin of their Facebook page).

1 hour ago, ShrimpLok said:

But you could give a place to the Donald McNair cup winners without too much difficulty. 

Would be good to see the North Caledonian Cup winners in too to give Shetland and Lewis & Harris a chance to qualify. 

Could allow both Alex Jack and Southern Counties FA Alba Cup winners entry in their own right too instead of just the playoff winner, giving the smaller south teams a chance to qualify. 

Welfare football has dwindled away very badly. Down from 500 clubs in their heyday to under 250 a decade ago... under 150 clubs 5yrs ago... and now under 100. Many of those don't play in the cup, which only had 27 entrants last season despite being the Saturday & Sunday cups combined. Only the Greenock (6 clubs) and Montrose (11 clubs) play a regular season and both are Sundays.

I'm not aware of North Caledonian League ever having lobbied for a slot. Only a few years ago they were down to 6 clubs albeit now rallied to 9 or maybe 10. They haven't joined the pyramid.

Though both are separate organisations the South & East of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield was successfully lobbied for by East + South leagues in order to achieve parity with the Juniors... as for 10yrs Junior clubs had 2 routes in (by winning their regional league or their national cup), whereas senior clubs only had 1 route (by winning their regional league). I suppose you can argue the North Caledonian League should do a cup for first-teams except Golspie and you could rename it the "Scottish Cup-Winners' Shield" - but in all probability it would just involve their entrant making/receiving a long journey to get humped. It must always be remembered the North Caledonian League is only senior in a technical sense. In other respects they'd be unremarkable amateurs.

36 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Welfare football has dwindled away very badly. Down from 500 clubs in their heyday to under 250 a decade ago... under 150 clubs 5yrs ago... and now under 100. Many of those don't play in the cup, which only had 27 entrants last season despite being the Saturday & Sunday cups combined. Only the Greenock (6 clubs) and Montrose (11 clubs) play a regular season and both are Sundays.

I'm not aware of North Caledonian League ever having lobbied for a slot. Only a few years ago they were down to 6 clubs albeit now rallied to 9 or maybe 10. They haven't joined the pyramid.

Though both are separate organisations the South & East of Scotland Cup-Winners' Shield was successfully lobbied for by East + South leagues in order to achieve parity with the Juniors... as for 10yrs Junior clubs had 2 routes in (by winning their regional league or their national cup), whereas senior clubs only had 1 route (by winning their regional league). I suppose you can argue the North Caledonian League should do a cup for first-teams except Golspie and you could rename it the "Scottish Cup-Winners' Shield" - but in all probability it would just involve their entrant making/receiving a long journey to get humped. It must always be remembered the North Caledonian League is only senior in a technical sense. In other respects they'd be unremarkable amateurs.

Or a long journey north. Get Orkney in as NCL Champions this year with a special guaranteed PR1 tie in Kirkwall for the Junior Cup qualifiers...

Can anyone confirm (HJ?) when Partick Thistle enter the fray this season?

We don’t have a league game on 3rd round day (24th Nov) but I didn’t think we would be entering that early.

Can anyone confirm (HJ?) when Partick Thistle enter the fray this season?

We don’t have a league game on 3rd round day (24th Nov) but I didn’t think we would be entering that early.

Unless it has changed for this year, 4 Championship teams start in Round 4 of which Thistle would be one. The other six come in at Round 3 so no league games are scheduled.

Cheers.

Out of interest, why would we be one of the ones entering?

I thought they would start from the bottom up?
They do - read it again. Partick start in Round 4, others start a round earlier. Which is rubbish since you have a free Saturday at a time of year when you want a game on.

They do - read it again. Partick start in Round 4, others start a round earlier. Which is rubbish since you have a free Saturday at a time of year when you want a game on.

I thought I had managed to delete my post quick enough without anyone noticing!

[emoji16]

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, Shanner said:

Still no word on the first draw date yet?

Dragging their arses somewhat. 

The draw is a week today - 19 Clubs (7 ties and 5 byes) -

1 Club from the ESL, SSL and Other Leagues

Tynecastle (South & East Cup Winners Shield Winners)

3 Clubs from the Scottish Junior FA

Bonnyrigg Rose (East Junior Super League Winners)
Auchinleck Talbot (Scottish Junior Cup Winners)
Beith Juniors (West Junior Super League Winners)

1 Club from the Scottish Amateur FA

Shortlees AFC (Scottish Amateur Cup Winners)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14 Clubs from the ESL, SSL and Other Leagues (NCL approved)

Banks O’Dee (North Junior Super League Winners)
Burntisland Shipyard
Coldstream
Girvan
Glasgow University
Golspie Sutherland
Hawick Royal Albert
Linlithgow Rose
Lothian Thistle Hutchison Vale (Pending Club Licensing Decision)
Newton Stewart
Preston Athletic
St. Cuthbert Wanderers
Threave Rovers
Wigtown & Bladnoch

Archived