Scottish Cup 2018-19 qualifying

HibeeJibee

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Probably do with a proper Scottish Cup 2018-19 thread.

In the meantime... Selkirk FC appear to have folded after their remaining committee resigned, suffering with debts which had reached almost £200,000 and having 6 of 7 games cancelled for lack of players.

This appears to mean 6 clubs will be eliminated from PR2 this Saturday, but someone will then receive bye in R1.

• 6 months later...

Thought I'd dig up this old thread instead of create a new one for next season just now.

With the dozen or so clubs in the EoS & now Cumnock applying for a license.

What's the earliest anyone would hear on the Scottish Cup format being revised?

It looks like there be enough new members that either an additional preliminary round is needed, but more likely guaranteed entry at certain rounds would have to be reviewed.

52 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Thought I'd dig up this old thread instead of create a new one for next season just now.

With the dozen or so clubs in the EoS & now Cumnock applying for a license.

What's the earliest anyone would hear on the Scottish Cup format being revised?

It looks like there be enough new members that either an additional preliminary round is needed, but more likely guaranteed entry at certain rounds would have to be reviewed.

I think the fairest would be to let all Championship clubs start in round 3 instead of 4 starting in round 4. That frees up 16 spots in round 1, so there will be a total of 22 spots for teams outside the SPFL/HL/LL. Assuming the 17 license applicants all get one and there are no new ones following later, that will mean a total of 30 licensed clubs + 6 qualifiers (assuming the EOS winners are already licensed, SOS winners are Stranraer Reserves (ineligible) and no Junior clubs qualify via more than 1 route) = 36 clubs. Only 1 preliminary round would be needed in which 8 clubs would have a bye. If there are more clubs getting licensed than the 17, they can easily be added and there will simply be fewer byes (or keep 2 preliminary rounds if needed, but that is unlikely). 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎01‎/‎03‎/‎2019 at 13:05, Marten said:

I think the fairest would be to let all Championship clubs start in round 3 instead of 4 starting in round 4. That frees up 16 spots in round 1, so there will be a total of 22 spots for teams outside the SPFL/HL/LL. Assuming the 17 license applicants all get one and there are no new ones following later, that will mean a total of 30 licensed clubs + 6 qualifiers (assuming the EOS winners are already licensed, SOS winners are Stranraer Reserves (ineligible) and no Junior clubs qualify via more than 1 route) = 36 clubs. Only 1 preliminary round would be needed in which 8 clubs would have a bye. If there are more clubs getting licensed than the 17, they can easily be added and there will simply be fewer byes (or keep 2 preliminary rounds if needed, but that is unlikely). 

So in other words, if most of the clubs waiting to be Licenced ARE Licenced, then we may be looking at only 1 preliminary round?

Mind you, this is the SFA, will they be prepared to dump 4 Championship clubs into Round 3?  If they don't, then what?

17 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

So in other words, if most of the clubs waiting to be Licenced ARE Licenced, then we may be looking at only 1 preliminary round?

Mind you, this is the SFA, will they be prepared to dump 4 Championship clubs into Round 3?  If they don't, then what?

In my opinion, this would be a sensible way to deal with an influx of licensed clubs. As I think this idea is sensible, it's pretty much ruled out the SFA will do it though...

• 4 weeks later...

Another shout would be to make the two top HL and LL teams start in Round 1, with the bottom two HL sides starting in the Final Qualifying Round.

Then there would be 32 automatic starters in R1, and that would create an additional six slots for teams who make it through the Preliminary Rounds.

This gives 44 teams playing in R1, with 12 of those being winners from Qualifying/Prelim.

15 minutes ago, Marr1 said:

Still find it bizarre that reserve sides are allowed in the pyramid at Tier 6.

Well given there's no other tier for the them to play in, tier 6 is the only option. Stranraer and Annan are smaller clubs and outliers geographically so it makes sense for them to play in a regional league like the SOS. Once we have tier 7 and then 8 in the east, a team like Stirling Uni reserves will be further down the pyramid - same if we ever get one in the west as well.

In my opinion teams like Stranraer reserves should not be counted when deciding which team qualifies for the Scottish Cup or EOS/SOS play-off (if licensed). If Stranraer win it, the runners-up should be considered "champions" for things like that.

I'd agree but that's how it works. It would be wrong if such sides were allowed outwith the bottom tier.

It's only really a factor in SOSL - who have admitted these 2 sides since pyramid began - and even then Annan Athletic SOS will finish rock bottom this season.

For reasons of historical quirk Stirling University have a team in EOSL, but they'll be in the bottom tier next season (and actually have their own ground).

Archived