What Future for Amateur Clubs.....and Possible answers

As someone who has been involved with Amateur Football since 1975 as a player then administrator, I wonder what we can do [ if anything ] to prevent the massive loss of clubs and the reasons behind clubs folding.

I would say one of the reasons has to be the lack of interest and commitment from the younger generation also they have more alternative options to do with their time

Also now we work a 7 day week could be a reason

And this may sound stupid but is a possibility the excellent new drink driving laws also have effect as most clubs players always went back after the game for a pint now that's totally taboo therefore clubs lose out on one of the major sponsors of the Amateur game.

But I believe the SAFA should shoulder some of the blame with the financial pressures put on clubs with the fees and compulsory insurance policies that have to be taken out.

They will be many other reasons,, but what are the solutions if any........

THIS IS MY VIEW

1. Regionalise Leagues

2. No Leagues to have Divisions with more than 10 Teams thus cutting out midweek football

3. No League can have more than 2 Domestic cups for clubs to play for [ some leagues have 4/ 5 6 cups plus national / district cups]

4. League fees,Compulsory insurance and the Leagues fund raising dinners all scrapped [ Leagues would make the monies from fines and sponsorship  ]

5. 6 Week break over Christmas/ New Year

6. Season start 4th Saturday in August to accommodate Holidays

7. Every club who enters Scottish Amateur Cup given 2 free tickets to encourage more people to attend [ lets face it most players lose interest once their club has been knocked out ]

8. All kick offs to be between 12 and 3pm to accommodate 3g Parks

9. No cup replays or extra time straight to penalties [ thus saying on travel especially the Scottish ]

10. limit on number of players clubs can register.

Now not for one minute do I think this will prevent any clubs folding but will go a bit of the way to assist the clubs as we have to attempt to do something as the current situation can not remain static....................

So u want to take out what 7 weeks worth of Saturdays and about 10 weeks worth of midweeks? I can see a few fixture issues even with the cut down in league and cup games. Something needs to change and possibly agree to cut out or down as many midweek games as possible but don't think that's going to help much at all.

At the Sunday central we tick the boxes on no 2/3/4/5/8/9/10
We have grown to 64 clubs this season, there are no league fees plus each team gets two match balls.

We have a very unique league set up that allows clubs to find their level each season, which encourages teams to develop as every league is tight till nearly the end.
I believe we have gotten most things right but we strive to improve and always look to see if change is better.

Open to ideas always

From my knowledge of the reason clubs fold is more aligned to the fact that they can't attract enough players, not anything to do with money. I may be wrong but I'm just taking about the clubs I'm aware of who have folded.

I'm not against looking at ways to improve the amatuer game and I'm sure people will have some ideas of how that could be facilitated. I'm not sure the SAFA are to blame for the reduction in clubs, as I said earlier I believe that this is more aligned to the fact that the number of players playing amatuer has reduced. I have my own views on why that is the case and it's certainly no one fault. 

From my knowledge of the reason clubs fold is more aligned to the fact that they can't attract enough players, not anything to do with money. I may be wrong but I'm just taking about the clubs I'm aware of who have folded.
I'm not against looking at ways to improve the amatuer game and I'm sure people will have some ideas of how that could be facilitated. I'm not sure the SAFA are to blame for the reduction in clubs, as I said earlier I believe that this is more aligned to the fact that the number of players playing amatuer has reduced. I have my own views on why that is the case and it's certainly no one fault. 

I would agree with you on this. Most teams fold due to struggling for numbers on match days. There is definitely a different attitude towards playing football these days.

I think the main reason for clubs folding is simply down to the struggle to get enough players. The op mentions a few reasons for this and agree not nearly enough interest now from younger generation. One reason I believe causes this is the experience some boys have when in the pro youth system, which eventually sickens them and before they are in their 20s have chucked it. Seen so many young boys that should be playing at top amatuer or junior level that are no longer playing at all. One of a number of reasons I think is causing teams to fold not only in the amatuer game but in the under 21s/19s

I posted a pretty lengthy post about this a while back on my old forum. It's still here...

http://www.scottishamateurfootballforum.com/post93592.html#p93592

It's a huge post, so didnt want to copy and past here.. if I can figure out how to stick it in a spoiler I will. But the link works just fine. But I have pasted what I believe might be a good idea to help improve things in certain aspects: 

This is something I thought of and chatted about to a few mates over the years. It's not something I've pursued (I don't know if anyone else has) before. But here goes...

How about a 'Development League' ran by a committee not aligned with a specific league. The purpose of the development league is for new teams to participate in for 2 seasons. To allow them to understand what is involved in running a club, to fight the battles of getting players and sponsors. To see if they can stand the test of time. Call it a 'vetting period'. And at the end of 2 seasons - competing against other teams that are in a similar position as they are - if they are still going and want to move into a properly established league, then they can apply for membership. 

The benefits are there for all IMO. It lets new teams find their feet without disrupting an established league by teams dropping out. It lets new teams find their levels and see what they need to do to get better - without getting battered every week... I don't think anyone likes seeing teams getting beat 18-0. 

From the established leagues perspective it means they are only getting applications from teams who have came through a period of development. Teams who've been going for a couple of seasons and have a far better chance of survival in a league. 

Oh - and another thing... everyone likes to talk about what the SAFA should do about the money in the bank. The numbers mooted range from £200k-£350k depending on who you listen to. But regardless of the amount, I believe that the development league gives teams a better chance of dealing with one of the biggest obstacles facing Amateur teams, and that is finances. I think that new clubs in the development league could have their participation subsidised in order to help them understand what financial outlay is involved in the game. Perhaps year 1 50% subsidy, year 2 subsidy is 25% then when they move on to an established league they are on their own. But they know what to expect.

I think a development league would benefit everyone in the game. It would better prepare teams for joining the Amateur leagues properly. It would see better, more established teams joining the proper leagues. It would cut down the impact on leagues when teams fold/drop out mid season as the quality of whats joining is better.

Anyways, there you go. That's some of my thoughts on the game at the moment. I find myself questioning some of the points I've raised, so feel free to pick it apart. If nothing, I hope it gets you all looking at the sport we play with a view to helping it improve. 

There's also far too many clubs and leagues for the size of The West of Scotland. It's the same at senior level, 4 divisions of professional clubs with a country of 5.5m people is far too much.

Simple supply and demand. This will sort itself out in time though as if clubs keep folding then you will have more players looking for clubs which will keep other clubs afloat.

Archived