Premier League 2017-2018

On 30/06/2017 at 09:09, nsr said:

£25m seems like a heck of a lot of money for him.

Compared to £17M for Harry Maguire, £20M for Nathan Ake, Jordan Pickford £25M?

While the BBC gossip page has Leicester waiting to bid on Ben Gibson from Middlesborough as they think £25M is too high.

This is the problem with the teams in the Premier League having so much money at their disposal, it just means the 'standard' price for players is higher, especially if the transfer is between Premier League clubs.

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, s_dog said:

While the BBC gossip page has Leicester waiting to bid on Ben Gibson from Middlesborough as they think £25M is too high.

This is the problem with the teams in the Premier League having so much money at their disposal, it just means the 'standard' price for players is higher, especially if the transfer is between Premier League clubs.

Exactly, and they wonder why so many clubs look abroad in the hope of finding better players for less money.

7 hours ago, s_dog said:

Being a Boro fan I'm obviously going to say this, and am happy to be criticised on it, but I think Gibson is a better player than Keane and definitely worth more. If Keane is £25m and Maguire £17m then I'd be looking for at least £25m for Gibson.

On 30/06/2017 at 22:52, virginton said:

When West Brom or someone are spunking £12 million in Jay Rodriguez in August then we'll be looking at in terms of relative value to other deals.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/11698/10933764/west-brom-set-to-sign-jay-rodriguez-in-15m-deal-from-southampton

£15m. Close enough.

Maybe it's me being a Saints fan, but I'm never sure Pulis deserves the flack he gets. He'll never manager a title winning team, but I'm fairly confident he'll take West Brom into Europe in the next few seasons, which is a remarkable achievement

8 minutes ago, gc_smfc said:

I'd be wanting to attempt to sign Harry Kane for that amount of money.

Saying that Lukaku will do perfectly well at Utd.

I think Spurs would be holding out for close to £100m for Kane.

Lukaku banged goals for fun against shite teams - and that was a real problem for united.

I wonder if Jose told him he'd be warming the bench on the big games?

As for the price tag, don't get me started.

15 hours ago, Only one David Marsh said:

Surely this is going to self implode one day players are going for crazy prices now 

I really hope it does and have said so multiple times to my EPL-team supporting mates. This is all supported on the idea that the TV deal continues to support clubs and continues to get bigger and bigger. I just get the feeling, which might be nonsense, that eventually the TV companies will see viewership drop or something that will make them want to stop paying this much. It would be hilarious to watch these clubs scramble around.

Fair play to Everton they've rinsed some amount of cash out of the two Manchester clubs over the years. People talk about levy at spurs being a good negotiator but Everton are masters at selling jobbers for tens of millions. Eta not claiming lukaku is a jobber but £75 million is crazy cash.

They've had a very good transfer window. The #AMF brugade will be haemorraghing at the thought, but it'll be interesting to see which of the probably seven teams looking for a CL place next season will be papped into the Europa League places and go into the usual internal turmoil instead. Early days yet but I would expect Manchester City to be in no serious danger, probably Manchester United as well if they secure the Lukaku deal. Chelsea's squad doesn't look strong enough yet to deal with European games as well; Liverpool and Arsenal are always vulnerable to dropping out. Tottenham have a good enough squad to be fine but may well struggle playing out of Wembley. 

Archived