Premier League 2017-2018

• Replies 6.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mark Hughes gone. No surprises there although I didn't realise he'd been there 4 and a half years.
1st manager the Stoke owners have sacked during a season according to the media

Ryan Giggs favourite for the job. WTF?

Ryan Giggs! [emoji1]

Well, Big Sam and Alan Pardew are otherwise engaged. I bet they’re probably absolutely desperate to bring back Tony Pulis back but are afraid he’ll tell them to GTF.

4 hours ago, forameus said:

Not really the right place to put it given it's the FA, not the League, but looks like the totally not tokenism Rooney Rule is going to be put in place for FA jobs.  Yay.

Paul Ince would have been delighted, but apparently any BAME candidates have to prove their capable of the job first.  Sorry Paul.

Surely that's positive discrimination...getting an interview purely because of your skin colour.

Are there even that many BAME coaches/managers kicking about?

Think the problem comes from further down the ladder if there aren't. Premiership squads are full of black players and have been for years. No chance are clubs actively discriminating against them and I don't doubt that those candidates would be interviewed were they seen as suitable candidates.

Fact is, there aren't many prominent black coaches at the highest level. Look closer at addressing that issue rather than bringing this in.

12 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

Surely that's positive discrimination...getting an interview purely because of your skin colour.

if I was of BAME stock (and who's to say that I'm not, by the way. so just watch what you say here...) I'd advertise on-line as being prepared to submit an application for any job, and travel to interviews, for a small fee plus costs, with absolutely no intention of taking up any offers - just so the recruiting company could say they've met whatever quota-based "obligations" they may feel they have to fulfill - tidy little earner, I reckon; if I were to develop a nasty limp (leave it) and a predilection for cap-sleeved tee-shirts and latex glitter shorts, they could tick three boxes at the same time...

This. I find it totally bizarre tbh but maybe that's because I've never witnessed any form of persecution. I struggle to believe that English clubs, who are all absolutely driven by getting the EPL money, would purposely hire a worse manager purely on the colour of their skin.

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:
40 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

This. I find it totally bizarre tbh but maybe that's because I've never witnessed any form of persecution. I struggle to believe that English clubs, who are all absolutely driven by getting the EPL money, would purposely hire a worse manager purely on the colour of their skin.

Exactly...I'm sure if a black manager with the management ability of Pep Guardiola went for a job he wouldn't be passed over for Tony Pullis

Archived