Massive fire at high rise flats in London

3 hours ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Just hearing about this, total Towering Inferno scenario. The idea of being trapped by a fire on a high floor terrifies me and its why i could never move into a tower block, i honestly sleep better knowing that in a worse case scenario i can open my window and just climb out with my cat. 

The cat would have left you to burn at the first hint of smoke.

Probably would have barricaded the window to stop you escaping out of pure spite.

1 hour ago, Cerberus said:

It's good to see people helping out by bringing essentials like water and Kit Kats-

Women with food and water

Also wid.

Can't help but feel they are a bit late with the water.

Unforgivable negligence from the council up to the government. Let's hope we get a proper inquiry and not some whitewashed bullshit.

A prime example of poor people just being a fucking inconvenience for those with money and power.

A while back I was in bed on a Saturday night.  I could hear something ringing but was still half way between sleep and being awake.  I thought it was my alarm clock.  Then I was shook awake - it was a police woman telling me "you have to get out now!"  I tried to get dressed but got told there was not time, just to get out.  So I went out the flat to get outside.  I wasn't really sure what was happening but when I went out the door I could hear the fire alarm and the stairwell was thick with smoke.  It was only three floors down but it was scary.  Couldn't see anything, couldn't breath.  It's amazing to think stairs I run up and down every day could become so bewildering and confusing.  I didn't know where I was or the way out, had no idea where I was.  Hard to believe but true, a very frightening experience.

When I got out we were taken to a grassy area away from the flats.  It was January and snowing and I was only had a t-shirt and undies on but the thing worse than being cold and was standing there watching the fire brigade fighting the fire and thinking "I could lose everything I own".  Probably the worst feeling I've ever experienced in my life.

As it happened the fire was on the ground floor and got put out.  We were all able to go back to our flats that night.  All the damage was contained to the flat the fire had started in.

I got lucky that night but my heart goes out to the people who have lost everything cos I've been in that position where I thought it was going to happen.

Edited by Ya Bezzer!

3 hours ago, Ross. said:

Happened to me a while back while staying in the Hilton Grosvenor at the top of Byres Road. Alarm went off 3 or 4 times at 3am on the Saturday morning. First time they evacuated and we spent an hour standing outside with them handing out tinfoil jackets to keep folk warm. Mostly I was annoyed at it being too late to head to Oran Mor, though whether they'd have let me in half pished half asleep and in shorts and a tee shirt I am not sure.

That's why I don't get paranoid about setting off the alarms with a wee roll up in the bogs with the hot tap steaming away. They can't shove hundreds of people out in streets every time a drunken businessman lights up in his hotel room any more.

Edited by welshbairn