Massive fire at high rise flats in London

Anyone else get the feeling this is just the thing to start another summer of rioting.
Families burning in their own homes next door to yours is the type of thing that motivates people rather than the closure of the Erasmus programme.

Kensington, Chelsea, Notting Hill massively affluent areas next to horrendously poor ones. Cover the scums ugly high rise cages in cheap cladding so as not to spoil Tarquin & Priscilla's view, but not fix the lifts.
Said cladding goes up like a shell suit covered in meths and despite individually fantastic responses for emergency services, massive cuts won't go unnoticed.

All conjecture but, yeah. Has all the elements.

Just now, NorthernJambo said:

On that point...
aebd28433b68ca7d3e26686b9d316127.jpg I've taken this from twitter. Pretty reliable source so I trust the figure but apologies if they're wrong.

Think the figure being quoted was 72 Tory MPs voted against making homes 'fit for human habitation.' Philip Davies also filibustered the bill. If Mhairi Black is gonnae batter whoever's in government maybe she could start with him.

5 minutes ago, NorthernJambo said:

On that point...
aebd28433b68ca7d3e26686b9d316127.jpg I've taken this from twitter. Pretty reliable source so I trust the figure but apologies if they're wrong.

If any good can come from such a tragic event, it might be running this shower of cùnt's out of office.

44 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I was dozing at 7am with the radio on, vaguely taking in the news when the hotel fire alarm went off, and a loud voice shouting from a speaker somewhere saying "Fire! Evacuate Immediately!" Fair shat myself but wasn't sure if I was dreaming or awake. False alarm.

Happened to me a while back while staying in the Hilton Grosvenor at the top of Byres Road. Alarm went off 3 or 4 times at 3am on the Saturday morning. First time they evacuated and we spent an hour standing outside with them handing out tinfoil jackets to keep folk warm. Mostly I was annoyed at it being too late to head to Oran Mor, though whether they'd have let me in half pished half asleep and in shorts and a tee shirt I am not sure.

17 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

In the region of 200 dead, apparently. Christ, that's awful. 

ETA: Actually, that number is utter shite. Was from a fake story on Facebook. :rolleyes:

That time of day in that size of tower block it's going to rise substantially beyond 6 in any case.

19 minutes ago, SweeperDee said:

In the region of 200 dead, apparently. Christ, that's awful. 

ETA: Actually, that number is utter shite. Was from a fake story on Facebook. :rolleyes:

Obviously you edited that quickly, but had you delayed 30 seconds and checked the source it would have saved you the bother. Unfortunately it makes the original version look a bit like an attempt to be 1st with the tragic news.

23 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Breathe in the fumes and hopefully asphyxiate before having to make the choice.

You generally don't have much of a choice about it.  Smoke gets absolutely everywhere, particularly higher levels, hence inhalation will easily get you first in the vast majority of cases.

Anyway, as the TheGoon was asking about jump vs stay, you will jump out the window if you are conscious and the option is there rather than be incinerated.  You just need to look at many of the 9/11 jumpers, but also the Piper Alpha guys who never expected to make it*.  It's a non-voluntary mental reaction.

*if I remember correctly, most survivors from that were the folk that jumped (albeit with horrific burns from just a few seconds mid-air). Of course, they had water rather than concrete.

Edited by Hedgecutter