Massive fire at high rise flats in London

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Every story like a towering inferno needs a local hero.  Step forward the guy who catches baby thrown from 10th floor (according to that site anyway):

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/london-fire-grenfell-tower-baby-caught-by-stranger-after-mother-threw-it-10th-floor-1626237

Well there's no shortgae of villains.

10th floor does seem a bit unlikely. However, sounds like there will a tons of stories of heroism and just awful, awful things coming out of this. 

Fast spreading, high rise fire in the middle of the night, 1 exit stairwell, residents told to stay in and bugger all alarms. A body count of < 100 should be regarded as a miracle. 

There's hoping that this becomes the 'Piper Alpha' of residency regulation that gets HSE prioritised.  A zillion changes were suggested after that which are rather fiercely enforced today. 

(although obviously this building didn't collapse with the death of 150+ people)

3 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

There's hoping that this becomes the 'Piper Alpha' of residency regulation that gets HSE prioritised.  A zillion changes were suggested after that which are rather fiercely enforced today. 

(although obviously this building didn't collapse with the death of 150+ people)

We should already have had it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2009_Lakanal_House_tower_block_fire

Edited by williemillersmoustache

The heroism stories are all very well, but there's a rake of "such and such have offered a few bottles of water" pish clogging up news feeds. Find out the c***s who made money out of this pishy accommodation, prosecute the fuckers, and stop it from happening again.

We seem to be pretty good at post-tragedy pointless gestures and not so good at preventing tragedies fucking happening.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Now's the time to invest in companies that inspect high rise external facades.

Darn. I shouldn't have ploughed all my money into the bollard industry. 

This Conservative government has created a culture whereby Health and Safety is viewed as being red tape and something that business needs to pay little heed to. Horrific episodes like this are indicative of this culture and I hope that the book gets thrown at those involved.

It may may be too early to speculate but looking at what the resident's committee have described previously - that there is not a suitable and sufficient Fire Risk Assessment in place then i would say the Responsible Person for the premises is likely to be looking at a corporate manslaughter charge and rightly so. 
Edited by jessmagic

Just hearing about this, total Towering Inferno scenario. The idea of being trapped by a fire on a high floor terrifies me and its why i could never move into a tower block, i honestly sleep better knowing that in a worse case scenario i can open my window and just climb out with my cat. 

4 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Just hearing about this, total Towering Inferno scenario. The idea of being trapped by a fire on a high floor terrifies me and its why i could never move into a tower block, i honestly sleep better knowing that in a worse case scenario i can open my window and just climb out with my cat. 

@Dee Man's missus likes this post.

8 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

^^^just up.

9 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

Obviously.

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Every story like a towering inferno needs a local hero.  Step forward the guy who catches baby thrown from 10th floor (according to that site anyway):

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/london-fire-grenfell-tower-baby-caught-by-stranger-after-mother-threw-it-10th-floor-1626237

Sounds exceptionally dubious though.

Unfortunately he was a goalkeeper. He bounced it twice and kicked it over the A40.

I was dozing at 7am with the radio on, vaguely taking in the news when the hotel fire alarm went off, and a loud voice shouting from a speaker somewhere saying "Fire! Evacuate Immediately!" Fair shat myself but wasn't sure if I was dreaming or awake. False alarm.

28 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Wid

Much worse if it had been.

Sorry see what you mean now,

Just now, welshbairn said:

I was dozing at 7am with the radio on, vaguely taking in the news when the hotel fire alarm went off, and a loud voice shouting from a speaker somewhere saying "Fire! Evacuate Immediately!" Fair shat myself but wasn't sure if I was dreaming or awake. False alarm.

False alarm about which evacuation, the hotel or your bowels?