Massive fire at high rise flats in London

Why shouldn't it be seen as a lottery win for anyone involved?
The establishment are only bothered about cash, the higher the payouts the better as far as I'm concerned.

It shouldn't be seen as a lottery win because the payout will be from public funds, ultimately? The compensation should be appropriate , no more and no less. I don't agree it should become a trough that everyone is eating from.

Why shouldn't 'The Establishment' (whatever that may be) be worried about the cash, they are exactly tasked to do this, surely?

About the only potential justification for making US-style compensation awards would be to either punish those to blame or to prevent such accidents in future - given the deep involvement of public servants in the events, I seriously doubt either justification could be argued.

Just my opinion though.

43 minutes ago, hk blues said:

It shouldn't be seen as a lottery win because the payout will be from public funds, ultimately? The compensation should be appropriate , no more and no less. I don't agree it should become a trough that everyone is eating from.

Why shouldn't 'The Establishment' (whatever that may be) be worried about the cash, they are exactly tasked to do this, surely?

About the only potential justification for making US-style compensation awards would be to either punish those to blame or to prevent such accidents in future - given the deep involvement of public servants in the events, I seriously doubt either justification could be argued.

Just my opinion though.

How much is appropriate for a life or for the trauma caused? I think it's worth a lottery win, don't you?

Don't see much wrong with it being treated as a political football by those who are campaigning for safer housing and less flagrant disregard for the life of poor people. It's political action that will address this.

If the assumption is that a "fix" is going in, it doesn't really matter who the judge is does it? 
Labour want a woman or an ethnic minority judge, I shit ye not. Never mind this is a very senior appeal courts judge with 50 years experience in Commercial law, he's the wrong colour and gender. FFS!
I don't think Labour particularly care who the judge is and they don't particularly care about the residents, as evidenced by their role in the regulations and housing over decades. All they want to do is disrupt the enquiry, turn it into a race/class conflict, ensure the Tories get blamed and somehow try to force a General Election.

Speaking of tinfoil hat drivel [emoji38]

How much is appropriate for a life or for the trauma caused? I think it's worth a lottery win, don't you?

Difficult to put a value on a life/trauma but the insurance companies etc do it all the time. Not seeing many lottery type awards being made by them.

Don't see much wrong with it being treated as a political football by those who are campaigning for safer housing and less flagrant disregard for the life of poor people. It's political action that will address this.

I agree with you - assuming the politicking is aimed at dealing with the issues you mention.

2 hours ago, hk blues said:

Difficult to put a value on a life/trauma but the insurance companies etc do it all the time. Not seeing many lottery type awards being made by them.

I know a lady that got over £1m for a bit of brain damage due to a RTA, she still functions normally with a bit of nutjob thrown in, a nine figure payout would do the establishment the world of good IMHO.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Sponsor a Dundee player.

The Grenfell Commuity fund would like to promote Paul Mcgowan with a sponsorship of 20 million pounds.

We hope his achievements will give us warmth and happiness that no roof could ever bring.

• 3 months later...