Massive fire at high rise flats in London

1 minute ago, GordonD said:

JR-M.JPG

I've seen memes like this all over the place. Are there any links to the bills and who voted against them?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would simply vote against having smoke alarms fitted in properties unless of course they were a landlord and stood to lose a shitload of cash to fire alarms. Wait...

1 hour ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Well done Fide for taking this opportunity to attack Theresa May and her government. I guess to your warped mind, it is inconceivable that this could have happened with a labour government in place.

FWIW I am not a supported of the Tory Govt, but I certainly wouldn't blame them for this.

People who try and take the moral high ground by refusing the politicise the results of political decisions are the absolute pits.

If you want to say it's the whole political system to blame rather than one party then fair enough but either way this should be a catalyst for change.

The housing system in this country and particularly SE England has been brewing something like this up for a long time and parliament absolutely has to take the blame.

See David Ames on news night last night describing how nothing has been done by parliament after the recommendations from the report after Camberwell.

39 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

I've seen memes like this all over the place. Are there any links to the bills and who voted against them?

I find it hard to believe that anyone would simply vote against having smoke alarms fitted in properties unless of course they were a landlord and stood to lose a shitload of cash to fire alarms. Wait...

The bill referred to private landlords, it wouldn't have had any effect on Grenfell from what I've read.

Edited by Kennboy1978

17 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

People who try and take the moral high ground by refusing the politicise the results of political decisions are the absolute pits.

If you want to say it's the whole political system to blame rather than one party then fair enough but either way this should be a catalyst for change.

The housing system in this country and particularly SE England has been brewing something like this up for a long time and parliament absolutely has to take the blame.

See David Ames on news night last night describing how nothing has been done by parliament after the recommendations from the report after Camberwell.

I really don't think it's a time for political point scoring at least until some kind of preliminary enquiry has been completed.

Right now all we should be concerned with is doing what we can to help the victims of this awful event.

If this is coming across as an attempt to assume some kind of moral high ground, then so be it.

They should certainly be getting paid more than they currently are.

I agree but the people posting the memes are usually the same ones calling them "enemies of the state"etc etc if they dare to threaten strike action for better pay and conditions

I have a feeling that the construction industry has a lot of scandals just under the surface.  Apparently this building was refurbished at the cost of £10m last year?  Hopefully the investigation covers what that £10m was spent on and if the refurbishment dealt with safety issues.  I have a feeling that a lot of contractors look at public sector and government contracts as a soft touch and that local government are too incompetent to do anything about it.  

There are examples in Scotland of this - the current FAI into the death of a pupil at an Edinburgh school after a wall collapsed is one and the other is the Statutory Notice scandal that happened in Edinburgh a few years ago, which was like something out of the Sopranos.

29 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

I really don't think it's a time for political point scoring at least until some kind of preliminary enquiry has been completed.

^^^^ Private landlord

29 minutes ago, ICTJohnboy said:

Right now all we should be concerned with is doing what we can to help the victims of this awful event.

If this is coming across as an attempt to assume some kind of moral high ground, then so be it.

Sorry, people posting on Pie and Bovril should not have any opinion but instead should be spending their time helping the victims? What, exactly, are you doing and what exactly should we all be doing to help the victims?

It's not so much an attempt at assuming the high ground, it's a massive hand wringing Helen Lovejoy post of the highest order. I think you should stick to Facebook.

3 hours ago, ICTJohnboy said:

So many harrowing and distressing facts emerging from this horrific disaster - final messages issued to loved ones, etc, etc. People screaming for help before jumping to their deaths. Almost reminiscent of 9/11 - so much distress - an absolutely appalling catastrophe.

Well done Fide for taking this opportunity to attack Theresa May and her government. I guess to your warped mind, it is inconceivable that this could have happened with a labour government in place.

FWIW I am not a supported of the Tory Govt, but I certainly wouldn't blame them for this.

Calm down mate.  If you're going to take the moral high ground, at least have a pop at everyone having a go at the Tories.  Your choice of who you go after is telling.

Calm down mate.  If you're going to take the moral high ground, at least have a pop at everyone having a go at the Tories.  Your choice of who you go after is telling.

Just ignore him, he is a walloper. Nothing wrong wth criticising Tories when they have made big cuts to the fire brigade.

1 hour ago, Rugster said:

Sorry, people posting on Pie and Bovril should not have any opinion but instead should be spending their time helping the victims? What, exactly, are you doing and what exactly should we all be doing to help the victims?

It's not so much an attempt at assuming the high ground, it's a massive hand wringing Helen Lovejoy post of the highest order. I think you should stick to Facebook.

Praying and/or sending your heart out to those affected.

I agree but the people posting the memes are usually the same ones calling them "enemies of the state"etc etc if they dare to threaten strike action for better pay and conditions

As I said, they should be getting more pay. However I also believe that it should be written into their contracts that they can't strike.

I assume the law is different in England when compared to Scotland as far as private landlords go? I had to have fire alarms and carbon monoxide alarms fitted along with a few other checks carried out and have to have them tested annually before I am allowed to let out the flat I have.

Am I the only one who was naive enough to assume that this insulation they've been using to clad the buildings was fire retardant? Never even crossed my mind that you would be allowed to use stuff that would go up like a roman candle.

I would imagine they'll be local authorities across the country being bombarded with concerned tenants and rightly so. I know that the remaining multis in Dundee were all given a face lift over the last couple of years