Massive fire at high rise flats in London

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:

Fire Brigade saying there are "Several fatalities". It's almost miraculous if there have only been a few deaths looking at the footage and images on BBC. 

I reckon that will rise sharply over the next day or so. 

4 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Fire Brigade saying there are "Several fatalities". It's almost miraculous if there have only been a few deaths looking at the footage and images on BBC. 

I guess we won't know for a while as after they finally get the fire out they'll have to make sure the whole building is stable which looks like it'll be quite a task.

I don't envy the firefighters then having to go from flat to flat once that's done - from what I gather that's altogether the grimmest part of the job.

I guess we won't know for a while as after they finally get the fire out they'll have to make sure the whole building is stable which looks like it'll be quite a task.
I don't envy the firefighters then having to go from flat to flat once that's done - from what I gather that's altogether the grimmest part of the job.

That's if the building doesn't collapse. That's the next worry

2 hours ago, supermik said:

The building may possibly have a dry riser running up inside it for the fire brigade to connect their hoses to at the bottom and have the water pumped to each floor but from the look of the damage then I very much doubt if they would have had the chance to use it. 

By the way, if I had designed and installed that new outside cladding I would be heading for the hills. You can just imagine the feckers at some poncey champagne reception, giving each other slaps on the back at a job well done after the completion of the works.

If I was a council official responsible for granting the contract I'd be heading for the hills, they're the ones who bear the greatest responsibility.

Edited by ayrmad

1 minute ago, Ross. said:

Hot Topic? f**k sakes Div, have some #RESPECT

We've got BBC news on in the canteen at work. About 5 o'clock this morning the presenter started his bulletin with "A very warm welcome" with a video of the flats burning in the background.....

14 minutes ago, Kennboy1978 said:

We've got BBC news on in the canteen at work. About 5 o'clock this morning the presenter started his bulletin with "A very warm welcome" with a video of the flats burning in the background.....

:lol:

I shouldn't laugh but you can't help it with a comment like that.

Whatever the case it sounds here like a monumental f**k up composed of lots of small f**k ups. I always thought high flats were essentially self contained units bolted together in order to try and prevent something like this. I would also have assumed that the cladding had to be fireproofed for the same reason. That's before you go onto fire alarms, fire proofing, sprinklers and everything else that would help minimise the risks/damage.

Has to be a few people being dragged over the hot coals for this....

Edited by Ross.