Massive fire at high rise flats in London

1 minute ago, ICTJohnboy said:

The building will surely collapse.

The building looks like it is mainly built from concrete and as concrete is relatively fire proof. The problem if it collapses is any asbestos in the building getting released into the surrounding area. 

The building may possibly have a dry riser running up inside it for the fire brigade to connect their hoses to at the bottom and have the water pumped to each floor but from the look of the damage then I very much doubt if they would have had the chance to use it. 

By the way, if I had designed and installed that new outside cladding I would be heading for the hills. You can just imagine the feckers at some poncey champagne reception, giving each other slaps on the back at a job well done after the completion of the works.

1 hour ago, supermik said:

The building may possibly have a dry riser running up inside it for the fire brigade to connect their hoses to at the bottom and have the water pumped to each floor but from the look of the damage then I very much doubt if they would have had the chance to use it. 

By the way, if I had designed and installed that new outside cladding I would be heading for the hills. You can just imagine the feckers at some poncey champagne reception, giving each other slaps on the back at a job well done after the completion of the works.

As far as I'm aware, and this could be further researched, the only building regulation requirement for external insulation relates to it's u value not to it's fire retardant qualities..

External insulation is most often made from polysterene or a resin type material coated in silicone/cement  rendering  as  these offer a greater u'value and an overall lesser thickness than mineral wool systems..

The mineral wool is less likely to combust whereas the other materials .......!!

I know these living there probably don't have a choice but f**k living in a tower block.

A few reports saying the superficial cladding recently installed to the outside of the building helped spread the fire quickly.....

Just now, buddie06smfc said:

https://grenfellactiongroup.wordpress.com/2016/11/20/kctmo-playing-with-fire/

A statement released by the residents last year. Pretty much predicts exactly what has happened.

Saw that earlier.  Parts of it are horrifically prescient:

"Unfortunately, the Grenfell Action Group have reached the conclusion that only an incident that results in serious loss of life of KCTMO residents will allow the external scrutiny to occur that will shine a light on the practices that characterise the malign governance of this non-functioning organisation."

"It is our conviction that a serious fire in a tower block or similar high density residential property is the most likely reason that those who wield power at the KCTMO will be found out and brought to justice!"

"The Grenfell Action Group predict that it won’t be long before the words of this blog come back to haunt the KCTMO management and we will do everything in our power to ensure that those in authority know how long and how appallingly our landlord has ignored their responsibility to ensure the heath and safety of their tenants and leaseholders. They can’t say that they haven’t been warned!"

3 hours ago, ajwffc said:

Depends on the age and design of the building.

Aye, but according to reports that estate was refurbished recently, you'd have though fire prevention measures would have been incorporated to contain any fire to a flat/floor. And according to reports the fire alarms didn't go off, either.

Also according to 5live (from a post on Facebook or a blog from one of the resident associations) that in the case of a fire You were to stay inside your flat.

giphy.gif

No mention of 'windows down, heating up full blast'.