Will this be Spartans year?

The Crafty Dafty

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Spartans were pathetic today. Did they win their place in this game in a raffle? No way they won an actual league.
They learned how to beat the lower placed teams and did heehaw against the top 4. It seems like we're all bitter when we say they'll get pumped.

Hope Cove go all the way

7 hours ago, selfassemblyshire said:
On 25/04/2018 at 22:44, tamthebam said:
Good luck to Spartans- I think a lot of people have underestimated them thinking Cove will skoosh it. Well, they did the same to City and look what happened..
Also I miss the derby games! 

Lol

now now, there's still the second leg and as I always say "It's not over until the fat b*****d scores (Spartans 5 (Allum 5)  Cove 0)..." :lol:

Having come down the A90 from Peterheid the day I was going to nip into Cove and see if I could see the new stadium taking shape (well, I know now it's at Nigg). But I don't remember seeing a turnoff sign for Cove, just Portlethen*. Will this change if they get into the Scottish League? 

(*on my one visit to watch a Cove game at Allan Park in 1991 I took the bus from Aberdeen)

now now, there's still the second leg and as I always say "It's not over until the fat b*****d scores (Spartans 5 (Allum 5)  Cove 0)..." :lol:
Having come down the A90 from Peterheid the day I was going to nip into Cove and see if I could see the new stadium taking shape (well, I know now it's at Nigg). But I don't remember seeing a turnoff sign for Cove, just Portlethen*. Will this change if they get into the Scottish League? 
(*on my one visit to watch a Cove game at Allan Park in 1991 I took the bus from Aberdeen)

You’re well south of Cove if you’re seeing signs for Porty. The roads around where Cove are going are a shambles the now. The whole operation should be done in the summer with the ground scheduled for a game between the Police and Fire Brigade in early June.

3 minutes ago, Jimmy Shaker said:

You’re well south of Cove if you’re seeing signs for Porty. The roads around where Cove are going are a shambles the now. The whole operation should be done in the summer with the ground scheduled for a game between the Police and Fire Brigade in early June.

I remember Cove's prolific striker Mike Megginson being a Scotland International for the Fire Brigade alongside Meadowbank's Jim McQueen and Airdrie's Evan Balfour (IIRC) so perhaps its fitting to have a Polis v Fire Brigade match to kick things off there. 

41 minutes ago, surely not! said:

Serious question, has Sammy ever lost a game as badly? Either at spartans or previously at the uni, I can’t remember his teams ever being skelped as much as 4-0

:(

Recall EU getting crushed in a South Challenge Cup Final at Meadowbank.

If he managed Edinburgh Uni from 2003-2012 and Spartans 2012-present then without considering BUCS football:

2003-04 ... Spartans 4-0 Edinburgh Uni

2004-05 ... Edinburgh Uni 0-4 Annan

2006-07 ... Annan 4-0 Edinburgh Uni
2006-07 ... Cowdenbeath 5-1 Edinburgh Uni (Scottish Cup R2)

2008-09 ... Spartans 6-0 Edinburgh Uni (South Challenge Cup Final at Meadowbank)

2013-14 ... QotS 4-0 Spartans (SPFL Challenge Cup R1)

2016-17 ... Stranraer 7-1 Spartans (SPFL Challenge Cup R2)
2016-17 ... St Mirren 5-1 Spartans (Scottish Cup R3)

2017-18 ... Cove 4-0 Spartans (SPFL2 Playoff SF 1st leg)

[emoji20]

Recall EU getting crushed in a South Challenge Cup Final at Meadowbank.

If he managed Edinburgh Uni from 2003-2012 and Spartans 2012-present then without considering BUCS football:

2003-04 ... Spartans 4-0 Edinburgh Uni

2004-05 ... Edinburgh Uni 0-4 Annan

2006-07 ... Annan 4-0 Edinburgh Uni
2006-07 ... Cowdenbeath 5-1 Edinburgh Uni (Scottish Cup R2)

2008-09 ... Spartans 6-0 Edinburgh Uni (South Challenge Cup Final at Meadowbank)

2013-14 ... QotS 4-0 Spartans (SPFL Challenge Cup R1)

2016-17 ... Stranraer 7-1 Spartans (SPFL Challenge Cup R2)
2016-17 ... St Mirren 5-1 Spartans (Scottish Cup R3)

2017-18 ... Cove 4-0 Spartans (SPFL2 Playoff SF 1st leg)

Looking at each of those results ( and I was at the 6-0 cup final at meadowbank- what a terrible choice of stadium btw) they all came as a huge underdog where bookies odds would reflect just how difficult it would have been.

Yesterday a far different story. To lose a first leg game when no doubt the plan was to keep it tight and then win the home tie will come as a huge shock

Decent record from Sammy as these hammerings from 2013 onwards are all in national competitions. Obviously have to get in first with the next rank of results by 3 goals :lol:

Both from spring 2016

WW 4 Spartans 1 Challenge Cup semi

WW 5 Spartans 2 LL

On 28/04/2018 at 21:43, Clayhole Blue said:

Seems like you’re bitter tbh...

Shire fans are normally pretty easy going, although quite vocal. 

We may have the odd chip on our shoulder though. 

Given that Spartans campaigned for years to have us chucked out of the League, to be replaced by another club. Let's say that club could be, for instance..........oh, Spartans! 

You could say we were a wee bit miffed at that. 

Then there was the Steedmans, back in the 60s, who took us to Clydebank and changed our name to ES Clydebank. We soon put paid to that however and years later we played them in a Scottish Cup tie at Firs Park, where 3,000 Shire fans turned up , most of whom had never been in years, just to hate Clydebank! 

Of course, fast forward a few years and Clydebank are bought by a group of Airdrie fans and renamed Airdrie.........oh the irony. 

So, aye, we get a wee bit hot under the collar sometimes. 

Archived