Junior Committee Vacancies

ScottL90

Hi everyone,

Have seen from alot of comments on numerous threads that Junior football is in need of new bodies for ageing committee's so thought I would make up a thread for clubs to post any roles they are needing people to fill and for those interested in getting involved to note their interest for any prospective clubs.

Although I have limited knowledge and experience I would be interested to hear from clubs in Aberdeen + Shire about potentially getting involved and helping out.

Hopefully this can help some teams out in some way.

Cheers

I'd certainly say to anyone out there thinking about going onto the committee of their team to go for it!.
It's hard work,can be extremely frustrating,costs you a fortune!!,but every now and again you have a wee moment that makes it all worthwhile.Ive had a couple spells at it and must admit I miss it all.It's amazing the people you meet and friends you make.You'll certainly never be short of story to tell.

The hard work feels less like hard work the more of a connection that you have to the side. To the OP, I say take a few months to visit grounds and clubs and find the one that you're most drawn to. Get to know the existing committee, offer your help. I was asked to join the Pollok committee when I was only 25 and had a great time over the following 6/7 years but the smaller the committeee the more the burden falls on fewer shoulders (ok not a problem at Pollok per se but there still were drawbacks). Midweek games are the pits - kicking off at 6.30pm means committee being on site well before kick off to get things set up and gates manned etc... The more it bites into 'work' time the more attractive it is to the retired and less attractive to people with families etc.

Is it any wonder some clubs can't get anybody to help. Half the gate men look at you as if your up for an armed robbery. Any raffle tickets, naw. And then there's the pie and bovril/bar staff, usually some poor wummin that doesn't want to be there, nae pies, the ovens broke, the bar's shut or in Yoker's case they manage not have a licence on the night i arrived. No wonder young folks stay clear. Possibly a Junior trait in general, i've been along to a couple of rugby games and folk actually said hello. Maybe some Junior folk gave up smiling in 1963. I understand a Pollok not having time, fair enough. But clubs with an average of 30 punters. You'd think they'd go out the way to give a couple of strangers a nod. They might even come back. 

Most of them must have been Corpy bus drivers in a previous life with the one word answers.

Btw, as a St Roch's supporter who visited 20+ away grounds last season, the friendliest of away committees one chap stood out for just stopping to say hello on a very busy day at a highly charged game..........

Yer man at Larkhall Thistle.

Btw, as a St Roch's supporter who visited 20+ away grounds last season, the friendliest of away committees one chap stood out for just stopping to say hello on a very busy day at a highly charged game..........
Yer man at Larkhall Thistle.

There a good committee them Larkhall boys

It also helps to have a rough idea of what you can offer the club when you approach them; if you're good with your hands for example then offer to help with ground maintenance, if you've got the gift of the gab you might be good at fundraising and approaching sponsors, if you're okay with IT you can offer to help along the lines of website/programme editor and so on.

Admittedly most committee members can find themselves doing virtually anything over the course of a matchday, but the better run clubs I've seen seem to assign defined responsibilities to specific committeepeople according to their strengths...we've all seen one or two clubs where two or three guys run around like crazy seemingly doing everything whilst some of their committee just seem to be around to hang a club tie off of.

It also helps to have a rough idea of what you can offer the club when you approach them; if you're good with your hands for example then offer to help with ground maintenance, if you've got the gift of the gab you might be good at fundraising and approaching sponsors, if you're okay with IT you can offer to help along the lines of website/programme editor and so on.
Admittedly most committee members can find themselves doing virtually anything over the course of a matchday, but the better run clubs I've seen seem to assign defined responsibilities to specific committeepeople according to their strengths...we've all seen one or two clubs where two or three guys run around like crazy seemingly doing everything whilst some of their committee just seem to be around to hang a club tie off of.

That's a very good point.I personally wouldn't have a problem spreading ten ton of sand on the pitch but bring in sponsorship?......I couldn't.
Any successful club has a well balanced committee in this respect.

One point I would add is that many clubs need help, you dont have to go down the line of joining the committee if you dont have enough spare time but offering an hour here or there would be greatly appreciated especially now when most if not all clubs are doing off season work to improve their grounds. Just pop along with some old clothes and maybe a paintbrush and I am sure youll get a warm welcome and maybe a coffee.

4 hours ago, Nugent4nil said:

One point I would add is that many clubs need help, you dont have to go down the line of joining the committee if you dont have enough spare time but offering an hour here or there would be greatly appreciated especially now when most if not all clubs are doing off season work to improve their grounds. Just pop along with some old clothes and maybe a paintbrush and I am sure youll get a warm welcome and maybe a coffee.

Absolutely. We have a number of non-committee members who help out on a regular basis, and their input is invaluable.

Archived