Worst pub in Scotland

3 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

And you lived to tell the tale... I only went in once - that was more than enough.

It must've shut late 70s, early 80s and had absolutely no observance of licensing laws

http://www.oldglasgowpubs.co.uk

I'll repost this link to jog some memories.

3 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

It must've shut late 70s, early 80s and had absolutely no observance of licensing laws

Excellent website. I'll spend a few hours remembering the good old days. Bar 82 was still open in 1985 and it probably lasted till John Lewis got built, no doubt the land getting sold for a fortune.

Just now, RockMusic said:

Excellent website. I'll spend a few hours remembering the good old days. Bar 82 was still open in 1985 and it probably lasted till John Lewis got built, no doubt the land getting sold for a fortune.

I remember it be it practically empty even on nights with five at The Apollo and a wee old woman serving. She was too daunered or too disinterested to ask ages. Once I was 18 I moved on to more sophisticated establishments... The Bay Horse, Buchanan Hotel, The Red Parrot...

30 minutes ago, RockMusic said:

The Buchanan Hotel was the student choice of pub in the mid-80s. The vast majority of me and my peers grant money ended up in the tills in there.

University of Life, me. School of Hard Knocks. Still drank in those shite holes though and was knocked hard on several occasions, none that I didn't deserve to be fair.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

I only ever saw one fight in the Buchanan and it was quite strange. I was early before meeting my girlfriend so went in for a quick pint. Very quiet - just me, a guy standing at the bar next to me and two guys sitting down at one of the tables. Out of nothing, no raised voices or anything, one of the guys at the table quite calmly stood up and cracked one of the chairs over his pal's head. He then calmly walked out and the guy who got hit got up holding his head and also calmly walked out. Me, the guy at the bar, and the barman just looked at each other in astonishment. A mere 30 seconds after the incident you'd never have thought anything had happened.

Just spent a good hour or so reading through that website, thanks for posting it. Think I’ve probably been in most of the still open pubs in Shettleston, Sandyhills and Tollcross in the last 10+ years, and a few that have since closed down. Love visiting a pub that’s new to me.

20 hours ago, ayrshire_nomad said:
22 hours ago, fuzzydunlop said:

This doesn’t count as in England(yep worst pbs in England for this pish.., but thought I’d mention anyway).

After about a few weeks of moving down here(Leicester) one Saturday afternoon me the g/f had a massive argument about something stupid as usual.

I stormed out the hoose and with nowhere really to go, I decided a pint was in order at the nearest boozer.  Despite living here for a few weeks and visiting numerous times before I moved,  I hadn’t been to the nearest boozer to the house as the g/f had never been keen.   It hadn't bothered me as despite being closest, it was in the opposite direction to town, so never really had the notion of popping in.  So now I had an ideal opportunity to check out my new local.

Saturday 2pm and the place was mental. As I walked to the entrance two women were having a full on scrap.  Well I say ‘scrap’ both grabbing onto each other and trying to push each other over.

At that point I should have turned and left but was already in a mood and you had a big walk up through to car park to get to the entrance so would have looked like a shitebag if I’d turned round. (Please note when I first moved to England I had this inbuilt thing where I thought being Scottish I could handle anything here.  For example, I once walked through a so called ‘rough’ part of the Leicester unaware that it was a bad part of town. When I told my missus what route I’d taken she was genuinely worried/shocked. Obviously I replied “ach it was nothing, you’ve never been to Possil”(in my best Begbie/Scheme voice) – not sure if any other P&B’rs who have spent time down here have experienced this weird reaction to living outside Scotland..as if to say “everything is much shitter in Scotland” was some sort of thing to be proud of).

Anyway, back to the pub.. Inside wasn’t much better. Some dodgy dance music was blaring from the P.A.  

I went for a p*ss and there was a queue in the Gents for the only mens cubicle with a bunch of young cokeheads waiting in line for their go.  Rows of urinals free, but massive cue at the cubicle.  As I’m having a slash one of them tells me he’d just got out of Strangeways so is celebrating.

Then when I ordered at the bar, the guy next to me asked the barman for two eccies, which were duly produced and money exchanged in full view.   It was pretty much the closest I’ve come to the pub out of Shameless. 

The rest of the clientele were either wide boys or complete freaks.  The women were a mix of complete and utter tramps or those council estate birds that you wid but then regret it immediately when you had to visit the doctor or you find out that their boyfriend Dean is after you.

Luckily the pub was quite big so I could get away from the mayhem and hide away at the back and watch the scores coming in but then the afternoon karaoke started and some p*shed woman was up wailing along to Alanis Morrisette – pint was finished sharpish and I was out of there. Much rather face the wrath of the missus!

Place closed down about a month later. Now bulldozed and in its place a Lidl.

Maybe not the worst pub but definitely one of the worst pub experiences I’ve had.

leicester_empire.jpg.056fb575c355c30db871b84fb6c61112.jpg

Your breaking point was Alanis Morissette

aye...i'd say it was

• 2 years later...

Brazen head gets my vote as the roughest drinking hole in glesga, drank in there between roughly 1997 and 2011(pardon the pun)  so not been there in a while mores to pity...

Always remember going there at first in the taxi and the site of the massive Paolo Di Canio poster if you like on the building always brought me smiles and warmth before entering, Di Canio of course did not stay long but we certainly went back,, great crack and we got friendly with the locals,bar staff and the main bands early on like gary from eire og and alan from shebeen.... defo was a few skirmishes when we were tho or should i say brawls,, really bizzare and lucky tho as we always seemed to luckily be at the other side of the pub thankfully when the shit hit the fan,, there was even one or 2 occasions where i was too pissed and still in party rebel mode singing along to even realise there was battles happening right beside me, one of my sensible sober friends told me the next day what happened tho.

Dirty nellies upstairs from the brazen i hear had some battles but i defo did see that when i was present,,, either too pissed or focused on the other sex to realise what was happening i suppose:-)

We were also in there i think must have been around 1999 or the year 2000 when Robert Duvall walked around the pub, we later realised he was there to try and work on his glesga accent for his upcoming movie a shot at glory with ally mcoist.

Great pub tho and do miss it, need to go back for a guiness...

Brazen head gets my vote as the roughest drinking hole in glesga, drank in there between roughly 1997 and 2011(pardon the pun)  so not been there in a while mores to pity...
Always remember going there at first in the taxi and the site of the massive Paolo Di Canio poster if you like on the building always brought me smiles and warmth before entering, Di Canio of course did not stay long but we certainly went back,, great crack and we got friendly with the locals,bar staff and the main bands early on like gary from eire og and alan from shebeen.... defo was a few skirmishes when we were tho or should i say brawls,, really bizzare and lucky tho as we always seemed to luckily be at the other side of the pub thankfully when the shit hit the fan,, there was even one or 2 occasions where i was too pissed and still in party rebel mode singing along to even realise there was battles happening right beside me, one of my sensible sober friends told me the next day what happened tho.

Dirty nellies upstairs from the brazen i hear had some battles but i defo did see that when i was present,,, either too pissed or focused on the other sex to realise what was happening i suppose:-)

We were also in there i think must have been around 1999 or the year 2000 when Robert Duvall walked around the pub, we later realised he was there to try and work on his glesga accent for his upcoming movie a shot at glory with ally mcoist.

Great pub tho and do miss it, need to go back for a guiness...
You sound like the worst sort of person.

The Vale Hotel in Fyvie would take some beating. The hotel restaurant side was alright if you ignored the view of the scrapyard out the back. The bar itself was absolutely stinking, a combination of the locals and the dog stuck in the cage. I'm almost certain that the toilets were the inspiration for that scene from Trainspotting.

3 hours ago, Aidan said:

The Vale Hotel in Fyvie would take some beating. The hotel restaurant side was alright if you ignored the view of the scrapyard out the back. The bar itself was absolutely stinking, a combination of the locals and the dog stuck in the cage. I'm almost certain that the toilets were the inspiration for that scene from Trainspotting.

Was the dog in the cage not the Bonnie Lass o' Fyvie? 

The Rising Sun in Elgin was a classic shithole pub. It has weird jelly oozing from the walls in the bogs, mushrooms growing out the wall where the pool table was and the owner used to house Vietnamese pot belly pigs which would occasionally roam free in the place.

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

The Rising Sun in Elgin was a classic shithole pub. It has weird jelly oozing from the walls in the bogs, mushrooms growing out the wall where the pool table was and the owner used to house Vietnamese pot belly pigs which would occasionally roam free in the place.

Did they serve pork pies in there?