Worst pub in Scotland

The Anchor in Glasgow’s Gallowgate is at best, grim. That said, no sign of potential trouble, just a lot of poor souls.

Tam o Shanter in Leith’s Great Junction Street is horrific. I’m sure this hell hole will have merited a mention on this or similar threads. Absolutely dreadful place, not for the faint hearted.

The worst pub I’ve been in recently was before Ayr away last month. We done a decent pub crawl through the town centre before the game and ended up in the Harvest Bar. I had been in a couple of years ago and it was fine, but the pandemic clearly hasn’t been kind to it.

The only draught beer was the worst pint of Tennents imaginable and the other options were cans of Fosters, Guinness or Strongbow. Clientele was a mix of local alcoholics and a bus load of bigoted knuckle draggers over from Belfast for armistice day. 

4A875809-6EFF-4C7B-B695-A63D517474EA.jpeg

Edited by Hammer Jag

On 29/04/2019 at 14:57, fuzzydunlop said:

This doesn’t count as in England(yep worst pbs in England for this pish.., but thought I’d mention anyway).

After about a few weeks of moving down here(Leicester) one Saturday afternoon me the g/f had a massive argument about something stupid as usual.

I stormed out the hoose and with nowhere really to go, I decided a pint was in order at the nearest boozer.  Despite living here for a few weeks and visiting numerous times before I moved,  I hadn’t been to the nearest boozer to the house as the g/f had never been keen.   It hadn't bothered me as despite being closest, it was in the opposite direction to town, so never really had the notion of popping in.  So now I had an ideal opportunity to check out my new local.

Saturday 2pm and the place was mental. As I walked to the entrance two women were having a full on scrap.  Well I say ‘scrap’ both grabbing onto each other and trying to push each other over.

At that point I should have turned and left but was already in a mood and you had a big walk up through to car park to get to the entrance so would have looked like a shitebag if I’d turned round. (Please note when I first moved to England I had this inbuilt thing where I thought being Scottish I could handle anything here.  For example, I once walked through a so called ‘rough’ part of the Leicester unaware that it was a bad part of town. When I told my missus what route I’d taken she was genuinely worried/shocked. Obviously I replied “ach it was nothing, you’ve never been to Possil”(in my best Begbie/Scheme voice) – not sure if any other P&B’rs who have spent time down here have experienced this weird reaction to living outside Scotland..as if to say “everything is much shitter in Scotland” was some sort of thing to be proud of).

Anyway, back to the pub.. Inside wasn’t much better. Some dodgy dance music was blaring from the P.A.  

I went for a p*ss and there was a queue in the Gents for the only mens cubicle with a bunch of young cokeheads waiting in line for their go.  Rows of urinals free, but massive cue at the cubicle.  As I’m having a slash one of them tells me he’d just got out of Strangeways so is celebrating.

Then when I ordered at the bar, the guy next to me asked the barman for two eccies, which were duly produced and money exchanged in full view.   It was pretty much the closest I’ve come to the pub out of Shameless. 

The rest of the clientele were either wide boys or complete freaks.  The women were a mix of complete and utter tramps or those council estate birds that you wid but then regret it immediately when you had to visit the doctor or you find out that their boyfriend Dean is after you.

Luckily the pub was quite big so I could get away from the mayhem and hide away at the back and watch the scores coming in but then the afternoon karaoke started and some p*shed woman was up wailing along to Alanis Morrisette – pint was finished sharpish and I was out of there. Much rather face the wrath of the missus!

Place closed down about a month later. Now bulldozed and in its place a Lidl.

Maybe not the worst pub but definitely one of the worst pub experiences I’ve had.

leicester_empire.jpg

All of that sounds class.

3 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkay said:

The Rising Sun in Elgin was a classic shithole pub. It has weird jelly oozing from the walls in the bogs, mushrooms growing out the wall where the pool table was and the owner used to house Vietnamese pot belly pigs which would occasionally roam free in the place.

Melanius walked in with a pig under his arm

"How dare you bring such a filthy creature into my pub" said the landlord

"It's not my fault" replied the pig "I've just won him in a raffle .."

1 minute ago, tamthebam said:

Melanius walked in with a pig under his arm

"How dare you bring such a filthy creature into my pub" said the landlord

"It's not my fault" replied the pig "I've just won him in a raffle .."

Varied to...

Man walks into a pub with a pig under his arm. Barman asks what the f**k's that?

It's a Vietnamese pot bellied pig.

It's the pig I'm talking to.

On 12/06/2017 at 12:29, Adam said:

Had to laugh at someone saying the Chrystal Bell being rough, pretty sheltered pub visits if you think that's rough. There's a few absolute shiteholes in the east end, the Cottage Bar and Sheddens being two.

Years late but agree. Anyone who thinks the CB is rough has moved to the Trongate and only drinks in Saint Luke's.

8 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The worst pub in Scotland is any All Bar One

8 hours ago, 101 said:

Ftfy

Nah Asim is right. Wetherspoons is shite but doesn't have any pretensions and is usually the cheapest joint in the area to have a drink. All Bar One and (to a lesser extent) Yates are much worse because they have a weird perception among patrons of not being a shitehole. I still remember chatting to someone after a night out who excitedly told me they'd spent the night in ABO and Yates and I just had to offer my condolences. Sounds grim as f**k.

Nah Asim is right. Wetherspoons is shite but doesn't have any pretensions and is usually the cheapest joint in the area to have a drink. All Bar One and (to a lesser extent) Yates are much worse because they have a weird perception among patrons of not being a shitehole. I still remember chatting to someone after a night out who excitedly told me they'd spent the night in ABO and Yates and I just had to offer my condolences. Sounds grim as f**k.
ABO is prime " Its Gin O'Clock!" territory.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

Nothing in Scotland compares to some of the utter kowps you get in London as anyone who has gone for a pint near Spurs will know. The buildings are literally falling down and reek of piss.

never been in a pub for over well over a decade, but i've been in a few rough as f**k joints in Salford, apparently i missed someone getting shot in the face by a couple of weeks.

1 minute ago, Meldrew said:

never been in a pub for over well over a decade, but i've been in a few rough as f**k joints in Salford, apparently i missed someone getting shot in the face by a couple of weeks.

I was in a pub when the bouncer got shot. He lived...just. The bloke that shot him killed himself shortly afterwards though.

The now closed Bob Lawrence's Bar in Woodside, Aberdeen,

The place you walk into and it goes quiet. We bought a round and were drinking and chatting (as you do) and after about 2 minutes we were told "either drink or talk. If you want to talk f**k OFF!"

Last I knew it was a funeral home, and probably much happier for it!

Obviously Finnieston is hipster heaven these days, but it wasn't always thus. A group of us were heading to a gig in the Garage maybe 20 years ago and decided to walk from the west end into town and hit a few boozers on the way.

We'd stopped off at the old Bar Booshka and the Park Bar, and our next port of call was one of the unreconstructed Finnieston pubs - for the life of me I forget which one, either the Sandyford or the Berkeley - which in common with today featured a distressed interior, although back then it wasn't done as a fashion statement.

Anyway, we'd collectively decided we were on to the shorts: "Two vodka and cokes and two Jack Daniel's and cokes..."

"Who?"

"Jack Daniel's. Bourbon?"

"No' got that."

"Just make it four vodka cokes, then"

"Nae coke"

"Lemonade"

"Nae lemonade. Got a bottle of Irn Bru somewhere..."

Proceeded to rummage under the bar and produced a half full glass bottle of Bru swimming in floaters.

Edited by Hillonearth

4 hours ago, Hammer Jag said:

The worst pub I’ve been in recently was before Ayr away last month. We done a decent pub crawl through the town centre before the game and ended up in the Harvest Bar. I had been in a couple of years ago and it was fine, but the pandemic clearly hasn’t been kind to it.

The only draught beer was the worst pint of Tennents imaginable and the other options were cans of Fosters, Guinness or Strongbow. Clientele was a mix of local alcoholics and a bus load of bigoted knuckle draggers over from Belfast for armistice day. 

4A875809-6EFF-4C7B-B695-A63D517474EA.jpeg

I wonder what the significance is of the two surprised looking polar bears.