'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Right guys, lets make our voices heard. Get this filled in

Edit: For those of you on the app who can't see the Tweet, here's a link to the survey

http://www.scottishsupporters.net/2966-2/

Of the six things in the cons section, four things "will" or "would" do something, one "could" do something and the other has "potential".

Of the five cons, three things "may" lead to something, one thing "could lead to something" and the only "will" is the obvious thing that it will lead to increased costs.

I know who wrote that piece for the website and he's dead against colt teams so I assume that stuff has been lifted from the document that has been sent to the clubs. Good to see there isn't an attempt to give them the answer the SPFL want!

The whole notion of colt teams is an affront to decency.

How would fans feel playing in a league with 3 or 4 colt teams? Effectively having only 6 teams playing for the chance of promotion and relegation because the colt teams would likely be strong favourites to be highly placed in the league table? The team finishing 3rd or 4th going up as champions because a colt team finished top of the table but is restricted from being promoted any higher?

It doesnt matter if it's several thousand fans following a Championship team or a few hundred following somebody in League Two. Colt teams would be a massive slap in the face of every club that struggles to get by and provide football for it's local community.

If playing lower league football is now the strategy for improving our young players then get them attached to proper lower league clubs and let them be part of a proper competitive football season. 

Would this lead to league reconstruction and if so would the colt teams be represented and given a vote each? As it stands doesn't each lower league members have one vote to count towards one whole vote representing that league going towards a SPFL vote?

Would it not undermine the whole decision making in the SPFL and any team that has a colt team in the SPFL would have an unfair advantage. It might swing the decision making back to the the bad old days when Celtic and Rangers only voted for what they want and veto the rest. Down the line in a few years if an arms race kicks off between Celtic and Rangers they are not going to give a stuff about the rest of the SPFL only obsessed with beating each other by any means in their power.

I don't think inserting colt teams into the league has anything to do with improving our young players there are other ways that make more sense to do this. This is about giving power back to the biggest clubs, all Doncaster thinks about is money and that going through the Celtic and Rangers 'the cash cows' is the quickest way to do it rather than lets say showing an interest in an inclusive approach to lets say Junior football. Some of the bigger Junior clubs would equal or surpass in attendances what any colt team could manage in regular league games. I'm not saying Junior clubs should be introduced at level 4 that wouldn't be right but it just seems a better option to speak to these clubs and try to convince them to move over. I'm hoping Kelty Hearts are the start of a migration.

I've read this three times and still don't understand what you mean. Either I'm too tired or this is fucking nonsense.

Essentially a Scotland U21 squad playing as a colt team but restricting the number of players from any single club.
I should add that I'm not for any colt teams at all but if they are being forced upon us this would be better than the two OF teams.

4 minutes ago, spratte said:

Essentially a Scotland U21 squad playing as a colt team but restricting the number of players from any single club.
I should add that I'm not for any colt teams at all but if they are being forced upon us this would be better than the two OF teams.

That's restrictive in itself and doesn't help as there will be young players especially from smaller clubs that won't get a game.

Look it doesn't matter what this new teams called or who it's made up of. Any team who's main goal isn't to win, but to develop players and use league games as training sessions, can go take a run and jump.

2 hours ago, spratte said:

No-one can force anything, as the proponents of this or any other scheme are the servants of the member clubs - at least that is the theory, but not one which will be subscribed to by the likes of Peter Lawwell or his Ibrox counterpart.

What is required is for fans to make strong representations to their individual clubs; I've already contacted our Community Director who has passed on my own and apparently a growing number of other fans' concerns.  I would hope that the clubs could collectively grow a pair and resist this, but I am not at all confident given that even the prospect of a few crumbs from the table might sway too many, my own included.

Every Director and Chairman would do well to remember this however; we are all of us, supporters, officials, players, whatever, only ever guardians of our clubs at any point in time and as such the club and the wider Scottish football community is bigger than all of us.  We must at all times act with that philosophy in mind.

On 2017-6-17 at 20:04, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Given that we are now more than a week on from the release of this proposal document the silence from clubs and the Scottish football media has been deafening - and that is in a 'dead' period of the calendar.

I'd like to think that there are two reasons for that; either those who are promoting have by this time realised that the public has seen thro this idea for the crock of shit it represents and will now quietly return it to the pending tray, or more likely they will now go ahead and foist it anyway without even cursory discussion, with everyone aware that the proposal was never anything more than a PR fig leaf.

For what it's worth the Dalbeattie Star chairman has spoken out against it: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/dalbeattie-star-chairman-against-idea-10654809

I appreciate they're not a big club, however part of the case I've already seen being made in favour of colt teams is that they'll bring bigger crowds and generate cash for smaller clubs. The Dalbeattie chairman doesn't seem too concerned about that.

Saw a Celtic fan claim earlier that colt teams mean that clubs will no longer be able to rely on bigger clubs for their players and have to develop their own. Quite right too. I'm sick of guys like Patrick Roberts and Jason Denayer taking away first team chances for Scottish kids.

9 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

He posted that ages ago. He's not at it again is he?

Sorry, I just read it today but he does say he posted it last September, he's just regurgitating it. Still, another awful piece of "journalism" from him.

Archived