'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

15 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

So how did the meeting go guys ?

DAFC "will never support colt teams" I think that pretty clear :thumsup2

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Anyone cynical like me to think that this has very little to do with developing young players, but instead to give the OF a justification in a few years to continue to field clubs in the SPFL once they finally move into the EFL or Atlantic League or whatever shit League they propose to end up in for their own selfish financial benefit?

I agree that it has nothing to do with developing players as Rangers young talent has been utterly hopeless in the U20's league and both Celtic and Ranger along with the other colt teams have made no impact in the cup competition, however I don't think Celtic or Rangers will ever leave Scotland they love being the biggest fish in the pond and so do their fans also who would touch them Celtic have some friends in Europe but Rangers are toxic look at how negatively they were portrayed in America singing the billy boys and such, they will also be lucky to make it through the seaons I think

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don’t doubt it. Eventually they’d be bringing in enough cash that they could spend enough that their “colt” team ends up being better than Aberdeen and the Edinburgh clubs, so they’d be able to use it as a backdoor to the champions league

Yes. Exactly my thinking. So for the moment they can only play in League Two but they invest and up the investment and standard such that they win League 2 each year, and we relax the rules and they get promoted to League One.

Then it’s the Championship and then once the core OF clubs move out the door opens for the Premiership.

I agree that it has nothing to do with developing players as Rangers young talent has been utterly hopeless in the U20's league and both Celtic and Ranger along with the other colt teams have made no impact in the cup competition, however I don't think Celtic or Rangers will ever leave Scotland they love being the biggest fish in the pond and so do their fans also who would touch them Celtic have some friends in Europe but Rangers are toxic look at how negatively they were portrayed in America singing the billy boys and such, they will also be lucky to make it through the seaons I think

We kind of agree.
The OF want to retain their investment in the SPFL and the revenues from the Champions League.
However I also think it’s pretty clear they want other lucrative opportunities such as the EPL or some form of European League too irrespective of how they are perceived.
This potentially opens the door as such.

Also, if you look at Spain and Portugal where this has been implemented, your Barcelona B’s and Real Madrid Castilla’s of this world aren’t even breeding grounds for young players really. Those who go on to be great are in the first team from a young age, so the Colt teams end up being a mixture of jobbers who are playing at the exact level they should be but wearing a Real Madrid shirt instead of Almería or Real Valladolid, and 18 year olds that are never going to make it and have already fallen a long way behind the cream of the crop for their age group. Honestly this proposal is a terrible one with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

We kind of agree.
The OF want to retain their investment in the SPFL and the revenues from the Champions League.
However I also think it’s pretty clear they want other lucrative opportunities such as the EPL or some form of European League too irrespective of how they are perceived.
This potentially opens the door as such.

I agree to an extent but Celtic would barely compete if the worlds biggest teams decided to branch off and make a super league Rangers probably wouldn't be invited to join the league as neither team has enough cash to even start the ball rolling. Also If the colt teams cant be relegated which I think was the plan they will they ever be promoted or are we saying that at seasoned pro in league 2 can step into the first team of a premiership team.

I agree to an extent but Celtic would barely compete if the worlds biggest teams decided to branch off and make a super league Rangers probably wouldn't be invited to join the league as neither team has enough cash to even start the ball rolling. Also If the colt teams cant be relegated which I think was the plan they will they ever be promoted or are we saying that at seasoned pro in league 2 can step into the first team of a premiership team.

I don’t disagree that Celtic and Rangers are not at the ‘top table’ so probably would not be admitted initially. But remember plans have previously been mooted about an alternative such as an Atlantic League or, who knows, a European second division with lower investment costs needed to participate or revenues,but still significantly more revenue than in the SPFL.
The point re whether colt teams can be promoted would become irrelevant when this happens, and we are being sold that Scottish Football still needs a strong Rangers and Celtic. They will quickly lose the ‘colt status’ and become an established second OF with investment in players to match aspirations of winning the Scottish Premiership.

If they can’t be promoted or relegated then their points tally doesn’t matter, but results against them count which makes a fucking mockery of the whole thing. At very most they should be allowed to play centralised friendlies like what France did during the Euro 2016 qualifiers, so results against them don’t count. Even that’s not a great idea but actually counting the results against them is a farce.

I don’t disagree that Celtic and Rangers are not at the ‘top table’ so probably would not be admitted initially. But remember plans have previously been mooted about an alternative such as an Atlantic League or, who knows, a European second division with lower investment costs needed to participate or revenues,but still significantly more revenue than in the SPFL.
The point re whether colt teams can be promoted would become irrelevant when this happens, and we are being sold that Scottish Football still needs a strong Rangers and Celtic. They will quickly lose the ‘colt status’ and become an established second OF with investment in players to match aspirations of winning the Scottish Premiership.

To be honest if the the OF successful parachute 2 teams into the SPFL then it shows they have the power to do what they like, I think Aberdeen Hearts and Hibs were also looking at Colts team as well however they would just hold onto the coat tails of the OF who will attempt force this through, if you offered me Celtic and Rangers using the colts teams to keep representation in Scotland as they go off into the world I would take that as I think the colt teams will slide down into the lowland leagues and then be disbanded leaving the Scottish game stain free

If they can’t be promoted or relegated then their points tally doesn’t matter, but results against them count which makes a fucking mockery of the whole thing. At very most they should be allowed to play centralised friendlies like what France did during the Euro 2016 qualifiers, so results against them don’t count. Even that’s not a great idea but actually counting the results against them is a farce.

To play against teams that have no competitive need to beat you just seems ludicrous to me too. Can’t think I would be too keen to watch games of that nature either.
OF fans are a strange breed but I genuinely wonder how many supporters they would attract to these games.

To be honest if the the OF successful parachute 2 teams into the SPFL then it shows they have the power to do what they like, I think Aberdeen Hearts and Hibs were also looking at Colts team as well however they would just hold onto the coat tails of the OF who will attempt force this through, if you offered me Celtic and Rangers using the colts teams to keep representation in Scotland as they go off into the world I would take that as I think the colt teams will slide down into the lowland leagues and then be disbanded leaving the Scottish game stain free

I wish I had your optimism. I think the opposite.
Let’s assume the core clubs join a European League and resign their status from the SPFL. They would then use some of that additional revenue from that to buy in players of adequate quality to play in their colt clubs knowing that colt status would quickly disappear and the door opens to the revenue from increased attendances through promotion to the Scottish Premiership.
Of course it’s all nothing but speculation but you can see where this could lead to....

Also, if you look at Spain and Portugal where this has been implemented, your Barcelona B’s and Real Madrid Castilla’s of this world aren’t even breeding grounds for young players really. Those who go on to be great are in the first team from a young age, so the Colt teams end up being a mixture of jobbers who are playing at the exact level they should be but wearing a Real Madrid shirt instead of Almería or Real Valladolid, and 18 year olds that are never going to make it and have already fallen a long way behind the cream of the crop for their age group. Honestly this proposal is a terrible one with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

You do know Messi, Xavi and Iniesta all played for Barcelona B team? ????????‍♂️

7 hours ago, Adam101 said:

DAFC "will never support colt teams" I think that pretty clear :thumsup2

Good for you guys. An emphatic, unambiguous statement that the OF and their brown-nosing lackeys can GTF on this. 

Over to you,  madam chairwoman; we’ll have the very same statement please, just as soon as you like. 

8 hours ago, Donathan said:

As will disciplinary points if anyone gets booked or sent off, which could effect the outcome of later games.

20 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Good to see Jim McInally coming out and speaking against this. I understand clubs want to consult supporters before officially going against it and that's leading to a lot fence sitting esque statements but there is nothing stopping individuals getting their opinions out there.

On yerself Jim. Hopefully more follow his lead.

Here's his interview for anyone who might have missed it...

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/scottish-football/peterhead-boss-slams-colts-idea-from-old-firm-clubs-he-says-are-out-to-bully-way-in/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Yes, noticed this in the mornings papers.  It's the "football" people are the sharp end like him who should be consulted.  Hopefully his BoD take heed of his feelings and other Managers back him and tell their Boards the same. There are a few pitfalls in the proposals as other posters have mentioned,  definitely more minuses than pluses in the idea at the moment as far as I can see. 

Both 'quality' Scottish Sunday papers have articles about OF Colt teams. Neither is overtly critical of the idea. Perhaps I was expecting to much to have any In depth analysis as the game and media perception of it in this country always seems to revolve around two( and if we get the colts four) teams.

I see Murty is quoted as claiming that generations of OF rising stars will be lost to the game without colt clubs.

I'm not even going to bother countering that argument, it actually makes me very angry - unreasonably so, the level of inequity and conceit is incredible.

Anyone who even proceeds to analysing the proposals is doing the game a disservice, because they have  failed beforehand to consider some fundamentals.  Firstly, and as I won't stop banging on about, there is the violation of the democratic principle of one club/one team.

Secondly, national association representatives, club BoD's, Managers, teams, and even fans are only temporary custodians of the game here, and with that comes responsibility to do the right thing for the benefit of all and look well beyond narrow self-interest.

Thirdly, and staying on that 'do the right thing' theme, what are we to make of a national association willing to sanction the principle of financial inducements being offered to member clubs in order to smooth the passage of a partisan and highly divisive proposal ?  It may not be illegal but it is tantamount to bribery and as such is almost certainly unethical, and the SPFL deserves to be called out on it. 

We can expect no help from the supine football media in this country, so it falls to supporters to take a stand.  I've now contacted my club and I encourage everyone else to do likewise. 

I smell utter shite.

Archived