'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

I'd have zero interest in watching a 'superstar' swan about in a kids game against my team. Wtf. It isn't about the quality of football on show, that's not why any of us go to watch lower league football. It's about the competition and digging out points and results. It could be a Colt team from any Premiership side or it could be a world 11 containing Ronaldo and Messi I genuinely wouldn't give a flying f**k as it would ruin the one special thing about it. THE COMPETITION.

I have heard, now there's nothing official from the club, that we are 100 percent categorically against it no matter what circumstances. Which is great. There's been a big backlash from supporters about this to the club I believe so I would urge fans of all other clubs to raise this with people at their club too. Everyone can make a difference here.

Malky Mackay can go f**k himself the fat b*****d.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I despise this "it's not working so change eveything" mantra.

Football is cylindrical, everyone has ups, then downs, then ups. Clubs are all getting more money and every top flight now seriously invests in their youth systems, our u17 side is apparently the best group we've ever had and eight were given senior contracts this Summer. The country is on its way back up, so let's not hinder that because we're all too blind to actually notice what's happening

8 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I despise this "it's not working so change eveything" mantra.

Football is cylindrical, everyone has ups, then downs, then ups. Clubs are all getting more money and every top flight now seriously invests in their youth systems, our u17 side is apparently the best group we've ever had and eight were given senior contracts this Summer. The country is on its way back up, so let's not hinder that because we're all too blind to actually notice what's happening

And you know what the authorities can do with their cylinder, up and down! :P

[emoji38] 
Football is what? "Cylindrical"? I think you meant "cyclical".[emoji6]

I did indeed [emoji38]

Point still stands though, the game in this country is on the up.

On 15/06/2017 at 13:24, football maniac said:

I think it could have potential in certain circumstances.

1 If the Old Firm move down south and are allowed to include some overage players it may well be that the chance to see some potential stars would appeal to fans. E.g someone coming back from injury. If the Old Firm somehow moved down to England I have no doubt they could attract just about anyone they want and therefore the chance could be there for Gayfield to see a genuine superstar which could keep crowds high and interested. Maybe making it mandatory to have to include so many overage players could be done?

2 Playing consistently together as a team rather than dotted out on loan all over the place could eventually help the national team. Playing together at a good level will help these boys so much.

3. How are attendances and perception of B teams viewed in Spain? How do attendances of Barca B teams compare to the average segunda league match?

4. We are very closed to change but this attitude has seen us been truly dog shite lately both in Europe with club teams and in qualifiers for majors. What we are doing now is clearly not working and even though I'm a Qos fan and shouldn't care about this stuff it bothers me our teams are consistently put out by no hopers. Something needs to change as the young players we have produced haven't been good enough. Look at Hearts when they were docked points! They were basically a colts team but the forced inclusion of these boys together made them a right good team. Nicholson, Walker, Paterson, McGhee, McKay, King may never of got a chance and this shows playing at a good level consistently can speed up improvement. If our national team, coefficient and everything else improves who knows maybe this could benefit us no end? It probably wont but folk shouldn't be so quick to dismiss an idea before its given a chance

I got as far as here and had a wee chuckle, then read on and had a chuckle some more.

The reality is English football doesn't want them or need them, where would they be inserted into the Football League, surely they would have to start at the bottom, tier 8 or something like that?  If they are given any favour from the English FA, they will be absolutely hated by every English club and supporter as football clubs work hard to keep their place and try to improve each season, neither Celtic or Sevco would have earned it. Nope if it ever happened these fuckers should start just like any other at an entry level league. It would be an insult to every football fan of every club affected if they were inserted into the Football League above them and as for us up here in Scotland and especially on this site we would find it very difficult after a few weeks of watching the shitstorm develop in England to find enough popcorn to go around.:lol:

Also lets see if UEFA are quite happy to allow two clubs from one country and Football Association play in another country with a different Football Association. But don't let this stop the sense of entitlement the mouth pieces come out with and read and hear their sobbing tantrums when they are handed a dose of reality. Its one of Scottish football endless comedy acts this OF to play in England.

I don't see the connection between colt teams and how well our clubs perform in European competition, but I do read a sense of entitlement and disrespect towards what you call no hopers. Also if you include overage players then by definition the team ceases to be a colt team, so you are making a contradiction there as the inclusion of overage players in a colt team would mean less game time for young players which is the whole point and argument of having colt teams in the first place.

I do, when this comes up, wonder why they haven't already done exactly that. Form Cumbria Celtic & Northumberland Rangers or something & start at the very bottom & work their way up then just switcheroo whenever they feel like it makes sense.

They could have done it 15 years ago and be finished by now.

I do, when this comes up, wonder why they haven't already done exactly that. Form Cumbria Celtic & Northumberland Rangers or something & start at the very bottom & work their way up then just switcheroo whenever they feel like it makes sense.
They could have done it 15 years ago and be finished by now.

And where would these teams play their matches? Think the problem is they have not yet worked out how to move Glasgow south of the border yet.

On 2017-6-11 at 20:35, FairWeatherFan said:

That basically already happens with the Red Bull & Man City clubs. Also the likes of Atletico Madrid having their involvement with one those Indian Super League clubs.

Atletico Kebab  Kolkata

Given that we are now more than a week on from the release of this proposal document the silence from clubs and the Scottish football media has been deafening - and that is in a 'dead' period of the calendar.

I'd like to think that there are two reasons for that; either those who are promoting have by this time realised that the public has seen thro this idea for the crock of shit it represents and will now quietly return it to the pending tray, or more likely they will now go ahead and foist it anyway without even cursory discussion, with everyone aware that the proposal was never anything more than a PR fig leaf.

On June 16, 2017 at 07:31, CityDave said:

I got as far as here and had a wee chuckle, then read on and had a chuckle some more.

The reality is English football doesn't want them or need them, where would they be inserted into the Football League, surely they would have to start at the bottom, tier 8 or something like that?  If they are given any favour from the English FA, they will be absolutely hated by every English club and supporter as football clubs work hard to keep their place and try to improve each season, neither Celtic or Sevco would have earned it. Nope if it ever happened these fuckers should start just like any other at an entry level league. It would be an insult to every football fan of every club affected if they were inserted into the Football League above them and as for us up here in Scotland and especially on this site we would find it very difficult after a few weeks of watching the shitstorm develop in England to find enough popcorn to go around.:lol:

Also lets see if UEFA are quite happy to allow two clubs from one country and Football Association play in another country with a different Football Association. But don't let this stop the sense of entitlement the mouth pieces come out with and read and hear their sobbing tantrums when they are handed a dose of reality. Its one of Scottish football endless comedy acts this OF to play in England.

I don't see the connection between colt teams and how well our clubs perform in European competition, but I do read a sense of entitlement and disrespect towards what you call no hopers. Also if you include overage players then by definition the team ceases to be a colt team, so you are making a contradiction there as the inclusion of overage players in a colt team would mean less game time for young players which is the whole point and argument of having colt teams in the first place.

I genuinely thought when Rangers went bust that instead of Sevco joining the bottom league, that they would have bought a conference side and worked their way up the English leagues. Obviously moving a team from England to Scotland and renaming them would have been a challenge but MK Dons renamed a side and having Welsh sides in their leagues sets a precedent.

To be honest if they genuinely want in, that looks their best route.

Then the rest of us can get back to fitba.

15 hours ago, Torfason said:

I genuinely thought when Rangers went bust that instead of Sevco joining the bottom league, that they would have bought a conference side and worked their way up the English leagues. Obviously moving a team from England to Scotland and renaming them would have been a challenge but MK Dons renamed a side and having Welsh sides in their leagues sets a precedent.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/rangers/9346342/Rangers-proposed-purchase-of-Bury-roundly-rejected-by-the-League-One-club.html

Not to do with the English Leagues but this was highly suspicious at the time -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/17411645 

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/st-mirren/9166363/Gary-Withey-controversy-puts-St-Mirren-board-in-turmoil.html

It shows how ruthless some business people can get when it comes down to making money for themselves, sentiment has nothing to do with it, football clubs are treated just like any other business and the idea of a club that belongs to a community is irrelevant.

Probably better for both Celtic and Rangers as examples to have feeder clubs or link up with clubs that can take a good number of youngsters into the English Leagues where they can get 1st team experience at a decent and appropriate level gaining experience alongside experienced professionals.

Lets say Celtic loan out a group of 7 eighteen-twenty year olds to ------- club and 8 to another and they are involved in the 1st teams and get games against lets say Blackpool or Plymouth or maybe in the league below against the likes of Wrexham or Tranmere who are professional clubs rather than play in a colt team against Scottish part time clubs like Annan or Montrose (no offence) where these young players would also feel more included and involved in a 1st team environment, surely this would help these players a lot better make them more mature and professional in their development than the colt team option that is discussed in this thread. I don't see the point in a large group of young players who would end up playing at a much lower standard such as against semi pros week in week out than if they were loaned out to other teams. The more I think about colt teams especially for Celtic and maybe Rangers I think its not a such great idea if its motivated by improving our young players. The idea of the colt teams I believe is financially motivated.

Many of our better but smaller clubs in Scotland tend to have more youngsters involved in the 1st team, sometimes through necessity rather than anything else but the result of that is that these clubs like Hamilton bring through more young players into the 1st team and are more likely to play them regularly even though there are less of them in the whole club than say much bigger clubs like Celtic. Young players grow up quicker and show more maturity if they are mixed with older players at a young age.

Another thing is that once players reach between the age of 20 and 24 many don't progress once they are out of the youth system. Between the age of 20 and 24 is where we tend to lose players and the potential that they once showed. This gets ignored or passed over a lot and I reckon this is where we have a real problem in this country. I'm sure everyone knows of a player who looked a really good prospect as a teenager but once they reach their early twenties they just stop progressing. Someone could and should look into this issue on why this keeps happening.

On 17/06/2017 at 22:40, Torfason said:

you're missing the point if the ugly sisters move south their colt teams will no longer be restricted to the lower leagues, they will still want to f*ck scottish football.

if it wasnt fr the fact it would fall flat on its face as it would only hurt half the clubs i would suggest we have a no colts day when we pick a day and all boycott a match.

yeah i know crap idea

Archived