'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

Tucked away on the right-hand column of Page 71 of today's Sunday Mail is an article by Gordon Waddell that in my opinion should seriously alarm every Scottish football fan who believes in the fundamental principle of democracy in the professional game in this country.
Basically, the long-trailed idea of (presumably) the bigger clubs, and especially Celtic and Rangers, being able to enter 'Colt' teams into the league structure is now coming much closer to reality via a formal proposal document which was circulated to all 42 senior clubs on Friday.  I won't to go into much detail here, other than to add that it is understood that these 'Colt' clubs would initially enter the structure at Highland and Lowland League level and would be permitted to ascend only as far as League One.  It is also believed that the costs involved would debar all but the two Glasgow clubs, although it is understood that Aberdeen and Hibs have also shown interest.
I'll leave it there other than to add two things; if this idea comes into practice then my 57-year attachment to Scottish football in general and Dumbarton FC in particular will cease, and I will be contacting my club to actively encourage their opposition; secondly I would encourage others who feel strongly that the democratic principle of 'one club, one team' in Scottish league football must remain inviolate to also lobby their clubs on this issue.

You buy the Sunday Mail?

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is fucking shite. Not only is it fucking shite, it's fucking pointless shite. 

1. Celtic will still bitchslap the top league for several more seasons unchallenged.

2. Rangers will still be a country mile behind them

3. Celtic will inevitably get their arses handed to them in the CL Group stages

4. Rangers will inevitably be fucked out by some no-marks from Finland. 

This will continue to happen year on year. Totally cunting up the League and pissing off a shitload of fans with this half-arsed proposal will make absolutely no improvement at all. 

Utter shite. 

24 minutes ago, Nowhereman said:

You buy the Sunday Mail?

You don't have to buy a paper to read it - I often read links to papers that I normally wouldn't countenance. The point is that if, and it is an "if", The Mail are right, then all fans should be worried because this is an abomination of an idea.

7 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

This is fucking shite. Not only is it fucking shite, it's fucking pointless shite. 

1. Celtic will still bitchslap the top league for several more seasons unchallenged.

2. Rangers will still be a country mile behind them

3. Celtic will inevitably get their arses handed to them in the CL Group stages

4. Rangers will inevitably be fucked out by some no-marks from Finland. 

This will continue to happen year on year. Totally cunting up the League and pissing off a shitload of fans with this half-arsed proposal will make absolutely no improvement at all. 

Utter shite. 

You're talking utter shite man. Rangers won't always pumped out by no mark teams from Finland, no mark teams from other country's will pump them too. 

Celtic U20s were fucked by Livingston this season, while Rangers U20s finished nowhere near the top of their league to the point theyve rage quit it. No idea why anyone thinka it would improve anything, apart from the young players are both sides, as the senior players at the senior times wouldn't learn anything from playing kids.

With that in mind, I'd struggle to maintain interest in a league structure which is literally entirely there to benefit two teams.

I'm sure mumping and moaning on the internet will stop this in it's tracks.

What else is there to do? Fans haven't been asked, petitions failed to prevent Sevco getting fast tracked into the league system and clubs who've complained about this proposal so far are just being completely ignored. What's your plan?

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

What else is there to do? Fans haven't been asked, petitions failed to prevent Sevco getting fast tracked into the league system and clubs who've complained about this proposal so far are just being completely ignored. What's your plan?

Told you, mumping and moaning on the internet.

Though I think the prospect of slashed season ticket revenues had a lot to do with Sevco being put into L2 rather than the Championship.

Unfortunately the one and only chance us diddies had - and will never get again - was squandered, when the Govan pestilence were reprieved from their exile into oblivion.  All Cockwomble and the toadying press will ever look out for is the OF, as we all know, rather than coming up with some progressive ideas to improve the lot of everybody else. The real scandal is that the other 40 clubs don't collectively grow a pair and tell them to ram it.  Turnbull Hutton remains a desperately sad loss to all the rest of us. 

Unfortunately the one and only chance us diddies had - and will never get again - was squandered, when the Govan pestilence were reprieved from their exile into oblivion.  All Cockwomble and the toadying press will ever look out for is the OF, as we all know, rather than coming up with some progressive ideas to improve the lot of everybody else. The real scandal is that the other 40 clubs don't collectively grow a pair and tell them to ram it.  Turnbull Hutton remains a desperately sad loss to all the rest of us. 

Whilst I'm in no way trying to discount Turnbull Hutton...

The only difference between him and other chairman who voted similarly was that he was more vocal about it and liked getting the chance to shout about it to the media. Other than that what else did he do?

This move by the SPFL should come as a surprise to no-one. It's been on the cards since the formation of the new set-up and the trialling of it via the challenge cup will make colt teams in the senior game inevitable. For every principled supporter who burns his scarf and season ticket in protest and gives up following his or her team, they will be replaced by the sky sports young uns who really don't care about such things. Sadly for some having Celtic and Rangers in any form in their midst is an attraction. If the SPFL bigwigs are talking about it then you can be assured it's a done deal. Clubs, if history is any judge, will just roll over and accept it, banking literally on the green and blue pound. Fact of Scottish football life. Blaming Doncaster is all very well and he's a good target, but he's only doing what the clubs tell him. He's not a decision maker, he's an employee. 

46 minutes ago, Benito Robles said:

This move by the SPFL should come as a surprise to no-one. It's been on the cards since the formation of the new set-up and the trialling of it via the challenge cup will make colt teams in the senior game inevitable. For every principled supporter who burns his scarf and season ticket in protest and gives up following his or her team, they will be replaced by the sky sports young uns who really don't care about such things. Sadly for some having Celtic and Rangers in any form in their midst is an attraction. If the SPFL bigwigs are talking about it then you can be assured it's a done deal. Clubs, if history is any judge, will just roll over and accept it, banking literally on the green and blue pound. Fact of Scottish football life. Blaming Doncaster is all very well and he's a good target, but he's only doing what the clubs tell him. He's not a decision maker, he's an employee. 

What are the positives for any of the lower league clubs through this anyway? I can only see positives for Celtic and Rangers as they get their youngsters playing competitive football every week. The cup showed that old firm fans aren't at all interested in watching these teams so its not as if your going to see an increase in attendances through this.

I am not in any way in favour of this but there must be financial incentives jn offer, I don't know how or how
Much, but for them to vote in favour they must be getting something in return

I'm 100% against Colt teams in the league (can't say I'm a fan of them in the Challenge Cup either but it looks like that ship has sailed). However if we are going to have Colt sides why should Rangers get a side in the league? Their development / colt team is shite. Surely it should be the best teams coming in i.e. Ross County and Hamilton?

1 hour ago, Benito Robles said:

I don't dispute any of that but I'll still f*** off and leave the field clear for the young uns in their over-priced Barcelona tops. And I'll be safe in the knowledge that I've long since seen the best that Scotland had to offer in both club and international football terms - they will be very unlikely ever to make that claim, especially with this latest crock of shit.  If clubs wish bank on the blue and green pound, then all the more reason to exit.

Archived