'Colt Clubs' & The Democratic Principle

Tucked away on the right-hand column of Page 71 of today's Sunday Mail is an article by Gordon Waddell that in my opinion should seriously alarm every Scottish football fan who believes in the fundamental principle of democracy in the professional game in this country.

Basically, the long-trailed idea of (presumably) the bigger clubs, and especially Celtic and Rangers, being able to enter 'Colt' teams into the league structure is now coming much closer to reality via a formal proposal document which was circulated to all 42 senior clubs on Friday.  I won't to go into much detail here, other than to add that it is understood that these 'Colt' clubs would initially enter the structure at Highland and Lowland League level and would be permitted to ascend only as far as League One.  It is also believed that the costs involved would debar all but the two Glasgow clubs, although it is understood that Aberdeen and Hibs have also shown interest.

I'll leave it there other than to add two things; if this idea comes into practice then my 57-year attachment to Scottish football in general and Dumbarton FC in particular will cease, and I will be contacting my club to actively encourage their opposition; secondly I would encourage others who feel strongly that the democratic principle of 'one club, one team' in Scottish league football must remain inviolate to also lobby their clubs on this issue.

• Replies 520
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's a shit situation indeed.

One of the most enjoyable moments following a "diddy" team is winning your league.

The possibility of the bigot brother's colt teams finishing at the top of league one year after year, occasionally swapping places, should be pretty distasteful to the other teams in the league.

They should be told to go and f**k themselves. However, as P475 says, it would seem it's a foregone conclusion, even if lots of clubs were to oppose the idea.

Would be interested to know what the finances are like regarding this. You can only assume that, if it's allowed to happen, it'll be because the inevitable bribe to the wee clubs will be considered worth the drop in attendances. That, and the fact that the authorities keep trying to force through major changes to our game without the fans even finding out, demonstrates that our financial support is being considered more unnecessary as time goes on.

But aye, I've got more important things to spend my money on than propping up other clubs' ridiculous reserve pool of players, and will make that point to the club, however futile that may be.

One issue I have with 'colt' teams is that I see it as an inevitability that the OF versions will win League One at some point and there will be a push to get them in the Championship. 'Colt teams will be in the pyramid system next season. It already happening. If Stranraer can have a 'B' team in the pyramid there's no argument against allowing Celtic or Rangers or Heats or Cowdenbeath one.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I'll leave it there other than to add two things; if this idea comes into practice then my 57-year attachment to Scottish football in general and Dumbarton FC in particular will cease, and I will be contacting my club to actively encourage their opposition; secondly I would encourage others who feel strongly that the democratic principle of 'one club, one team' in Scottish league football must remain inviolate to also lobby their clubs on this issue.

I still can't get over the 'two clubs, one team' Rangers are still trying to pull.

31 minutes ago, Enigma said:

One issue I have with 'colt' teams is that I see it as an inevitability that the OF versions will win League One at some point and there will be a push to get them in the Championship. 'Colt teams will be in the pyramid system next season. It already happening. If Stranraer can have a 'B' team in the pyramid there's no argument against allowing Celtic or Rangers or Heats or Cowdenbeath one.

Do teams at that level that Stranraer have fielded a B team in have anything close to resembling a fanbase or is such a level all about participation and nothing more? 

Do teams at that level that Stranraer have fielded a B team in have anything close to resembling a fanbase or is such a level all about participation and nothing more? 

No idea. As of next season there is nothing, AFAIK, to prevent Stranraer 'B' rising through the leagues if they had they had the inclination to do so.

No idea. As of next season there is nothing, AFAIK, to prevent Stranraer 'B' rising through the leagues if they had they had the inclination to do so.

They can't get promoted, b teams are banned from the professional structure (Tier 5 and upwards)

Doncaster was also on about the Irn Bru Cup could open the door for Celtic and Rangers going to England. It's as if hes representing 2 clubs instead of 42. 

Yup. I'm sure the sponsors notice this too. Say he does get his dream and the OF do somehow move to England, how will he possibly promote our game?

Rules as they currently stand (no B teams in tier 5 or above) are perfect. No call whatsoever for the OF colt sides getting into the structure, nothing stopping the young lads from both going on loan to existing successful clubs down the ladder to experience gametime.

This is all starting to come together now for Doncaster's bigger plan .  Just last week he announced that there is more than a distinct possibility that the OF could be playing in England in the not too distant future. By introducing the colt teams this would be the "sweetener "  for the SPFL in that  if and when the main lot go they will still be represented.  

He has basically steamrollered through with talks despite the general disaproval of the majority of non OF fans in Scotland.   We have absolutely no say in the matter .  It will be done regardless. :(

1 hour ago, Enigma said:

Can't see OF going to England. Opens the door for Benfica moving to Spain etc. Or a Real Madrid 'B' team in MLS or China.

That basically already happens with the Red Bull & Man City clubs. Also the likes of Atletico Madrid having their involvement with one those Indian Super League clubs.

Archived