Did Labour split the vote in Scotland?

On ‎11‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 15:31, Monkey Tennis said:

I actually agree.

Sturgeon was not at her best the other night generally, but she really flapped uncharacteristically when pressed on that claim though.

Yeah that was a mistake by Sturgeon - I understand her frustration 'cos with the council election data known by the time of the debate on the 6th she must've had a good indication of where the polls were going. She seemed to lose it for a second and I reckon she knew she'd made a mistake even before RD jumped in with her "did you really say that" but  by then the damage was done.

I guess it's unknowable but it didn't seem to do any good in terms of results and I'd imagine any chance of improving the relationship between Sturgeon & Dugdale and hence the two parties is out the window for the foreseeable future. Scottish Labour & even Ruth Davidson seemed to accept there was some degree of justification for a second IndyRef in the immediate aftermath of the Brexit one before they and the Lib-Dems settled on their joint "no desire" policy.

I live in Ayr and as I've said elsewhere this was the first time I've not been canvassed by Labour and the first time there was no Labour candidate at my local polling station. Labour were second behind the SNP in the 2015 GE but in the May Council election they were third behind the Conservative & SNP and they seemed happy enough to stay there.

Who knows maybe if Labour had campaigned hard they could have come second in Ayr (and in Scotland as a whole they were only 40,000 behind the Tories)  but they didn't and they've allowed Davidson who appeared as brittle as May at times during the campaign to come out of this election with an enhanced reputation - and then some.

11 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Wots happened ????

Numbers wise across 59 Scottish constituencies it works out Corbyn got SLAB about 170 extra votes in each seat.

And SNP voters stayed away in droves.

On 2017-6-11 at 13:59, McSpreader said:

Well, everything should be considered.......and then some will be rejected. 

A private conversation should be just that......private.

Sturgeon did herself few favours by revealing that conversation on live TV with no way to verify her claims......a low moment for Sturgeon that!

shame

there's

no

way

to

verify

that

of course, she flip flopped & u-turned all over the place the next day after she got a row from the bosses.

5 hours ago, GoTeamGaz said:

shame

there's

no

way

to

verify

that

of course, she flip flopped & u-turned all over the place the next day after she got a row from the bosses.

That's a cleverly constructed post - I like it.

That Dugdale was on record as saying similar things became Sturgeon's defence the next day.  It's all about perception though and it did sound and look like Sturgeon had betrayed a confidence that she very quickly regretted.

I don't suppose it made much difference to anything, but it was a slip for such an accomplished political performer.

Archived