Did Labour split the vote in Scotland?

Without a shadow of a doubt.  Kezia Dugdale actively told people to vote Tory in certain areas to keep out the SNP.

It could very much be argued that if it weren't for Dugdale and some of her Slab pals, Corbyn would be in number 10 right now.

So, essentially, extrapolating that out, Scottish Labour, out of hatred for the SNP, have given us a Tory Government, allowed the DUP to enter the main stage of politics and threatened the Northern Irish peace process.

Good going Kezia!

Scottish labour by and large ain't Corbyns labour.

Wish more folk in Scotland had realised this.

Voting for slab in the general election has just given them an adrenaline shot whilst they were on their deathbed.  At some point in the future their new red tory mp's will assist in knifing Corbyn in the back. No doubts.

Without a shadow of a doubt.  Kezia Dugdale actively told people to vote Tory in certain areas to keep out the SNP.
It could very much be argued that if it weren't for Dugdale and some of her Slab pals, Corbyn would be in number 10 right now.
So, essentially, extrapolating that out, Scottish Labour, out of hatred for the SNP, have given us a Tory Government, allowed the DUP to enter the main stage of politics and threatened the Northern Irish peace process.
Good going Kezia!

If anyone's to blame it's the SNP for the absolutely awful Brexit strategy they've employed the last year:

- Demand another referendum even though a huge chunk of their party (including membership) are anti-EU.

- Ignore the 38% that voted Leave. Not the yawning chasm she thinks, and just more of an excuse for tactical voting against the SNP.

- Even planning a referendum when polls still show us at only around 45%. Absolute suicide.

- Scaremongering. Wasn't really any of that in 2015. It was a pretty positive message. Went out the fucking window here though. Leaflets telling pensioners that their pensions would be in trouble if the Tories got back in. Stunning hypocrisy given the (justified, in fairness) criticism about Project fear back in 2014.

I'll get abuse for this but I voted SNP on Thursday. I am pro-independence as well. People can choose to take criticism on board or not. If we don't then it's just giving the Tories a chance to take more Holyrood seats next time, and nobody of a progressive persuasion wants that.

I wanted Corbyn to win the election but couldn't bring myself to vote for a party whose Scottish branch leader advocated voting for the Tories in the election. Last time I checked advocating voting for a party other than the party that you're a member of is an offence worthy of being expelled from that party.

If anyone's to blame it's the SNP for the absolutely awful Brexit strategy they've employed the last year:

- Demand another referendum even though a huge chunk of their party (including membership) are anti-EU.

- Ignore the 38% that voted Leave. Not the yawning chasm she thinks, and just more of an excuse for tactical voting against the SNP.

- Even planning a referendum when polls still show us at only around 45%. Absolute suicide.

- Scaremongering. Wasn't really any of that in 2015. It was a pretty positive message. Went out the fucking window here though. Leaflets telling pensioners that their pensions would be in trouble if the Tories got back in. Stunning hypocrisy given the (justified, in fairness) criticism about Project fear back in 2014.

I'll get abuse for this but I voted SNP on Thursday. I am pro-independence as well. People can choose to take criticism on board or not. If we don't then it's just giving the Tories a chance to take more Holyrood seats next time, and nobody of a progressive persuasion wants that.

Tbf the Tories were threatening the triple lock and other methods that would hammer the grey vote. Big difference between that and what happened in 2014.

There's a mobilisation under way to drag Scottish Labour as left as Corbyn but it'll be a tough fight because the big hitters up here are fucking hopeless union obsessive.

33 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

No mention then of Kezia telling people to vote Labour, or Ruth, Kezia and Willie only having "send Sturgeon a message" as their only campaign manifesto?

No one is saying the SNP are perfect.  There are obviously things that need worked on, but it's not a patch on Kezia encouraging people to vote Tory,  She has enabled the shitstorm we're now embroiled in.

2 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

Scaremongering. Wasn't really any of that in 2015. It was a pretty positive message. Went out the fucking window here though. Leaflets telling pensioners that their pensions would be in trouble if the Tories got back in. Stunning hypocrisy given the (justified, in fairness) criticism about Project fear back in 2014.

There's a massive difference in Project Fear's approach to pensions – effectively lying about them – and the SNP's, which was to point out the Tories' intention to abandon the triple lock. That was stating the truth.

I think there's things you can criticise the SNP for in this campaign. But let's not conflate the horrendous deception of Project Fear with what's actually a pretty accurate summation of where pensions will be under the Tories.

1 hour ago, Fide said:

No mention then of Kezia telling people to vote Labour, or Ruth, Kezia and Willie only having "send Sturgeon a message" as their only campaign manifesto?

No one is saying the SNP are perfect.  There are obviously things that need worked on, but it's not a patch on Kezia encouraging people to vote Tory,  She has enabled the shitstorm we're now embroiled in.

Kezia had a brilliant campaign.

Her passion, positivity and focus in the debates was in stark contrast to Sturgeon's miserable, mumbling , fear based vaccuous approach..

She got her tactics dead right and has reaped the rewards.

SLAB are poised to conquer many more low majority SNP seats next time.

The girl done good......

2 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Her passion, positivity and focus in the debates was in stark contrast to Sturgeon's miserable, mumbling , fear based vaccuous approach..

The girl done good......

But just after the EU referendum she told Nicola in a private conversation that she might have to consider supporting SNP demands for an indyref2.

Well, everything should be considered.......and then some will be rejected. 

A private conversation should be just that......private.

Sturgeon did herself few favours by revealing that conversation on live TV with no way to verify her claims......a low moment for Sturgeon that!

1 hour ago, McSpreader said:

Sturgeon did herself few favours by revealing that conversation on live TV with no way to verify her claims......a low moment for Sturgeon that!

I actually agree.

Sturgeon was not at her best the other night generally, but she really flapped uncharacteristically when pressed on that claim though.

I wanted Labour to win the election overall but can't vote for a party who are going to turn around and declare that said vote means something it didn't.

Which is exactly what the SNP have done by taking ownership of the entire Remain vote. All this talk of the 2 to 1 "Unionist vote" on Thursday gives the SNP an opportunity for much better elections in the future. As long as they don't show the same contempt and tbh arrogance that they have in the recent past and the Unionists are showing right now.

1 hour ago, McSpreader said:

The girl done good......

:lol:

If Scottish Labour didn't exist, Labour would have gained a lot more seats in Scotland and might even have the keys to number 10 right now. Jeremy Corbyn was their Leigh Griffiths and Kez was their Craig Gordon.

No, in the northern seats the tories won, labour had a minimal vote to switch to the Tories. Therefore it was soft SNP voters switching to the Tories that caused TOSIT (RIP) to lose. Of course the Tories won seats with substantial labour votes like Ayr, Dumfries and East Ren but the evidence suggests there was enough switchers from the SNP to the Tories to allow them to win.

5 hours ago, McSpreader said:

The girl done good......

That's just an AWFUL trolling attempt, m9.

Complete revamp of Scottish Labour needed, stop alienating 45% of the country with a "SNP is bad and second referendum is never going to happen" stance. It's not impressing the Tory voters, they'll still vote Tory. Need to try and tap into the SNP vote by focusing on social and economic issues in Scotland, and try and ignore the independence debate for the moment.

Archived