Ayrshire Cup Final

Dipple burn

Well done to Talbot they were clinical in front of goal.  Felt 5-1 flattered them slightly but they put the ball in the net when it mattered.

I thought the referee was poor (as he always is) in two key decisions 1) he pulled it back for a freekick when McRobbie was clean through on goal at 0-0 & 2) Hyslop (who I feel is Talbots best player by a mile) staying on the park after three fouls when he had already been booked, Tucker quite rightly substituted him.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As a neutral I thoroughly enjoyed the game, was a beautiful Ayrshire night for Football. Meadow park has a wonderful playing surface and that stand is an amazing piece of history. Drive there and back was nice and relaxing. Crowd of close on 1k was very pleasing to see aswell. Well done Talbot, and hard lines to Cumnock.

11 hours ago, ladeside77 said:

Thought it was a good game, Talbot front 2 were the difference, were clinical and gave Cumnock back-line a torrid time, great save from Leishman at 2-1 and Talbot go straight up the park and score, could have been more in the end, bit of stupidity from Talbot sub Stevenson shelling the ball at Cumnock fans at the end ,only sour note of an enjoyable game for a neutral.

Was it not the cumnock no8 that kicked the ball into his own fans as i saw some of them going bonkers at him.

at 2-1 the bot keeper made a great save the crucial point of the game when it could have went to 2-2 with the momentum in Cumnock's favour . then talbot went up the park and made it 3-1 . i thought cumnock were the best side in the first half ! but then that is football amigo ! good to see a big turn out and a good match Long live the Ayrshire cup !

Congratulations Talbot. Deserved winners, although as others have said the Leishman save and subsequent restoring of the two goal lead was pivotal.

Surprised that no-one has mentioned the ref leaving Latta off the pitch for nearly two minutes after treatment. Bizarre. Not allowing McRobbie to play advantage was also poor.

Anyway looking forward to the summer break as pre-season training doesn't start for nearly six days.

2 hours ago, geo 1909 said:

Was it not the cumnock no8 that kicked the ball into his own fans as i saw some of them going bonkers at him.

Graham Wilson it was m8. Left his foot like a rocket and crack the ladie square on the forehead! 

2 hours ago, geo 1909 said:

It was the Talbot no.18 mate,volleyed it right into a group of ladies in the stand,was a minor issue in what was an enjoyable game 

at 2-1 the bot keeper made a great save the crucial point of the game when it could have went to 2-2 with the momentum in Cumnock's favour . then talbot went up the park and made it 3-1 . i thought cumnock were the best side in the first half ! but then that is football amigo ! good to see a big turn out and a good match Long live the Ayrshire cup !

I couldn't agree more. Leishman's save was the turning point as within 60 seconds Cumnock went from "nearly" being 2-2, to 3-1 down, which realistically was game over. Cumnock then lost their discipline and got picked off chasing the game.

We've had a good first season back in the top flight, with the challenge now for those involved being to kick on and build from this platform.

Congratulations to Talbot and we'll see you in a couple of weeks in the Ardagh!

I thought it was a fairly even match up until the third goal with Talbot being clinical for their two goals. However our midfield was guilty of sitting back even when they were not under pressure giving Cumnock a free reign in the middle of the park. This nearly backfired when Cumnock scored and it took a wonder save to keep us in front. As was said when the third went in it was a procession. Unlucky Cumnock but we both have to raise the bar next season as there is a new kid in town.

2 hours ago, Blackie Gold said:

I thought it was a fairly even match up until the third goal with Talbot being clinical for their two goals. However our midfield was guilty of sitting back even when they were not under pressure giving Cumnock a free reign in the middle of the park. This nearly backfired when Cumnock scored and it took a wonder save to keep us in front. As was said when the third went in it was a procession. Unlucky Cumnock but we both have to raise the bar next season as there is a new kid in town.

well said blackie gold.

22 hours ago, Shanner said:

read in today's ET that this is the 46th week of the season. Absolute mentalness at this grade. Players will be back training in, what, three weeks?

anyway that's by the by . Well done Talbot on an emphatic result.

Agreed shanner, last game of season should be the scottish final. All they need to do is get rid of the group stages start of season make it straight knock out midweek and get the league start straight away on a Saturday get rid of the back logs.

Was just updating the roll of honour in the match programme and amazingly that Ayrshire Cup win has meant that out the last 40 seasons Talbot have only failed twice in not having any silverware in the trophy cabinet. 2000/01 and 2003/04. Some record.

Was just updating the roll of honour in the match programme and amazingly that Ayrshire Cup win has meant that out the last 40 seasons Talbot have only failed twice in not having any silverware in the trophy cabinet. 2000/01 and 2003/04. Some record.

Was 2009/10 not a trophyless season as well ?

Archived