20TH JANUARY

NEILSTON ( HOME ) LEAGUE MATCH

27TH JANUARY

EAST KILBRIDE THISTLE ( HOME ) LEAGUE MATCH

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
A review of 2017
The year began with the candy faithful in boyant mood and we had decided to shoot for the moon with a league and cup double .
A fine 4-0 win over local rivals petershill sent us into orbit and fully believe the mission candy glory could be achieved.
Expectionations and excitement had reached fever pitch when in march we played larkhall at home and 800 of the candy support had passed through the gates .
A crowd that had the old ground bursting at the seams and a crowd not witnessed in many a year .
The cup runs saw us visit pollok which was a highlight for me as I have always held the club in the highest of regard and to play them at newlandsfield is one of the best tests you can have in junior football
We lost 3-1 but did ourselves proud and again the candy support came out in great numbers .
In the other cup we put top flight rob roy to the sword as were glencairn .
Appollo 1920 was heading firmly to its target on the home straight but football like life is never easy or straight forward and with mission accomplished in our sights we crashed and burnt
We took over 200 to larkhall for a winner takes all shot at glory and tbh the better team won on the day but to be part of and see so many leave from jmp in search of glory that day still fills the heart with pride and then 3 days later we lost our cup quarter final to yoker on pens.
A season that promised so much had ended in the bitterest of endings but the journey had been special and filled with every emotion possible and one that will live long in the memory.

This season has been a bit up and down with a new squad new backroom staff and a different playing style but due to the weather not many games have been played so this season's mission is still in its infancy and we have yet to fully see the direct we are going but either way it will certainly be exciting as the one thing the candy never can be is dull.

Off the field it never stops and the work done by the club and volunteers is at times breathtaking and inspiring everything from easter parties , summer football coaching for the kids to getting a new roof and a proposal for a new terrace cover to xmas parties for the elderly and homeless by the club to fans ( not just st rochs but fans from all over the UK and Ireland ) buying the club a new kit and training gear, the creation of the club shop online and a stall at the ground on match days , the formation of a new supporters bus to ensure as many of our fans get to as many games as possible, raising over a grand on go fund to ensure club had easter party for the local kids and could make repairs after club was broken into, to the recent foodbank /toybank collection shows that st rochs football club is more than just 11 guys kicking a ball around a park it's the centre of the community and the focal point for people to meet make new friends and join to together to improve not just our lot but the lot of others .

The wakes even wrote us a fantastic song " football at the heart " Not many clubs have there own official song .

So if 2018 is as half as good or exciting as 2017 then we are all in for another special year following st rochs football club.

Merry Christmas and a happy new year to everyone connected with st rochs and to fans of junior football everywhere

A good read and a very good re-cap of the past year all the very best for the New Year and the rest of the season

On 24 December 2017 at 16:35, griffiti on the wall said:

FIXTURE NEWS

FRIDAY 29TH DEC

EAST KILBRIDE AMS ( HOME ) FRIENDLY

4TH JANUARY

VALE OF CLYDE ( GREENFIELD PARK ) FRIENDLY

6TH JANUARY

BENBURB ( HOME ) LEAGUE MATCH

13TH JANUARY

THORNIEWOOD ( AWAY ) LEAGUE MATCH

20TH JANUARY

NEILSTON ( HOME ) LEAGUE MATCH

27TH JANUARY

EAST KILBRIDE THISTLE ( HOME ) LEAGUE MATCH

Tomorrow's friendly is off, frozen pitch.

Temperature set to rinse but also bringing more rain so more than likely be flooded
Well looking at the current weather here in the garngad I think the benburb game will be off. Fresh covering of snow on top of frozen snow on top of frozen ground. For me it will not thaw out in time.

Being a CandyFan in 2017 brought me the love and the joy and the rage and the passion and the pain and the fear and the hurt and eventual salvation that only being part of something special can bring. It was a year that filled the soul and thrilled the heart and pulled and dragged us all across the country, following the stars and dreaming of the universe and all that was in it being ours. There is no fool like an old fool and to expect anything else was, looking back on it now, naive and innocent. Football can give you so much if only your heart and mind allows it in. They did and it did. I was open and willing and it didn’t disappoint.

As Old Father Time turned the calendar into 2017 my Old Father and I had a festive football spring in our step as winter sprang toward Spring. Blind faith promised promotion and a good cup run, we were still in the hunt and some great results against Cambuslang had the dreamers dreaming and the doubters doubting themselves. I always think that with football your gut is a good barometer and the mind outweighs the heart. If you are like this then I feel you lose some of the fabulousness of fanhood. I am and although I
Count myself a CandyFan and passionate and vocal and at times partisan, my “sane side” is always on my shoulder and conveying the info gathered by my eyes and the experiences gained throughout the years and whispering his words of reality into my ear. It is a curse at times. We had a chance and nothing is certain in football and that kept me going.. and going I did. We travelled everywhere, me limping along in recovery mode after a Christmas op and he Candy hobbling over the line (Forth away) and sipping up (Vale of Clyde away) and winning games and digging results out we really had no right doing. With a. Month to go P&B was in melt down as Microsoft Excel spreadsheets were developed that showed every permutation this crazy league was threatening. The passion and fuzzy heeded frenzy of the forensic football fan amazed me as people “guaranteed” that either Camby, Larky or the Candy would triumph. Promises to “buy everyone a pint” if they were wrong were laughed at and derided and never taken up. It was a great run in and excitement abounded. A late evening Candy Brake trip to the arse end of beyond saw us do everything but score in the Valley of Sorrow at Lesmahagow and the flush was busted for me. The wee wise one on my shoulder was saying “why are you surprised?” I had the feeling that this was our chance and we were still in it despite ourselves. It was hanging in the balance. Excel pivoted on a crucial away tie near the end of the season against Larkhall. It was in our hands. As my football life gathered pace I missed a couple of games but cleared my diary for Larky. A bridge to the future or a bridge too far. It turned out a Bridge of Sighs and it was just too big a game for some of us I felt. We were not unlucky, we punched above our weight and came up short but pride abounded and I felt it.

If you can’t win then don’t lose. If you have to lose then do it with dignity and grace. Your time to win is almost there.

For some it was a catastrophe and I understand that. It is the fall only a football fan can feel when reality boots your
Footballs and that gut wrenching sickly feeing in the pit of your stomach brings nausea, pain, a realisation of truth and the silence we slip into when all you want to do is mentally curl up and cry. A few days later we lose at Yoker in the cup and our burst bubble is wiped up with a cloth. If you are going to ride the mechanical bull you might as well turn it up to 11 and have a go. To compete and be competitive and give effort and show passion and work hard... well that’s all we can ever ask for as fans and we got it. The near 900 fans who packed JMcGP against Larky at home, the bus loads who travelled all over....I thank them all, fans and players and management alike, for their efforts which gave us all so much pride and a sense of togetherness. When will we see the likes again?

Pre season started ok and a trouncing of Shettleston one sunny evening promised much. New faces on the park and in the dug our had freshened things up and a healthy away support applauded a 5 star performance. It has been difficult to just 2017-18 as I have missed a lot of games and unlike some on P&B, I try to write about what I actually see and think myself and not the words or thoughts of others. At times I think we have played well and been pleasing to the eye, at other times I think we have looked ill-disciplined and pretty poor. If the Candy is your team and you are honesty, I think you will agree. THEN.... in the last couple of home games before James McGrory Park became Ice Station Zebra, I saw a chink. A shard of light shining through the darkening winter skies. A shard of pride and fight and desire and work and discipline and belief and hard work and (dare I say it??) maturity from some. That light is threatened though by the forces of darkness, bad apples etc when you are lighting a fire you need wind of course, but you can’t blow out the small flickers. I have every faith that our management team can kindle the embers and who knows what awaits us? “Belief men.. and standards dear boys, standards”....

If football can give so much to a fan and the community then being part of it as a player brings more. I admit, I never really realised whilst I was playing. Looking at it now in the ever dimming autumn twilight of my days, I remember the people the places, the feeling and fun, the heartache and heart lifting emotions that being at the heart of it gave me. in a year when we have lost some dear football friends it focuses the mind to the limited time we have here. There is only one thing in life that matters... love. To love your football is to love life and all that it brings, the good and the bad. Treat both those imposters the same and step forward. March forward. Stride forward with pride and the knowledge that if you love the game and all it brings it will love you and protect you when you really need it. Not when you don’t get promoted or get beaten in the cup, but when you really need it. Believe me, I know.

The Candy year ended yesterday for me as I helped at the Colin McLean memorial Christmas dinner for local pensioners. My old man was there under the gaze of James McGrory. I am thankful to the club for inviting him and making him feel like he belongs. We all do... CandyFan or CandyFoe. I say foe and i mean FanFoe, because we are all in this together. One life and one chance and one great all encompassing game. To pinch a Kevin Keegan quote out of context and fuse it with a quote from our own season ticket holder number 67, Bertie Auld...

“..love it, love it... it’s a way of life”

I couldn’t have said it better myself lads.

Much love to all and see you all, Football Friend or Football Foe, in 2018.

Mon the Candy!
MTC![emoji460]️[emoji172][emoji106]

9aee8e4b1773a5269e6ed16dd0c1c2f2.jpg

Happy New Year to all my fellow contributors and to all readers whichever team you support on the Candy thread. Was it really the 18th of November since the green jerseys played a competitive game? Ah well, here's to the 49ers. Tbf, i've seen the Candy play away four friendlies/bounce games since then. Milton, Glasgow Green and twice at Greenfield. Hurrah for artificial pitches. Although a polar bear would find it hard to watch football at freezing point standing at the side of a council pitch. No wonder fans say they don't do friendlies, especially in the middle of the winter. And of course bounce games throw up daft scores like 5-4 on Thursday night. As somebody who's idea of a friendly game was Old Trafford or Annfield, Greenfield is a come down. Btw, thinking back my first ever friendly i remember was St James Park in Newcastle in 1968. A youngster called George Connolly played that day. Since saw George standing watching the Candy at Jimmy McGrory Park a number of years back. Anyway enough talk of friendlies and 2017.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Our first footers were Benburb, The Bens, the chookie hens. If the Candy are looking towards promotion then we better stay close to these guys at the top.

Firstly pre match both teams and fans paid our respects to Colin and Tam, farewell old friends, you will be forever in our hearts.

The game itself, well i'll leave to others other than........

1-0 Benburb

1-1

2-1 Benburb

3-1 Benburb halftime

3-2 

4-2 Benburb

4-3 

4-4

5-4 St Roch's

ps, Gordon if your reading this, were you in that car trip to Newcastle in 1968?

What a game yesterday. 1st half the rust of the festive season was still evident to see. But after the half time roasting from the gaffer and a wee bit of wd40 the candy battled back and at 4-4 I think most would have been happy to get away with a point. But credit to the boys the kept fighting and got the winner. Great birthday gift for me a thrilling match and a win.
MTC

24 minutes ago, Rochstar1920 said:

What a game yesterday. 1st half the rust of the festive season was still evident to see. But after the half time roasting from the gaffer and a wee bit of wd40 the candy battled back and at 4-4 I think most would have been happy to get away with a point. But credit to the boys the kept fighting and got the winner. Great birthday gift for me a thrilling match and a win.
MTC

I noticed on Twitter that the ref handed out a fair few cards. Was it a dirty game ? 

Archived