St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

Don't want to go into Saturday's handbags at dawn story but i notice the word drink getting mentioned. Since we're on an alternative history theme better mentioned St Roch's Junior Football Club came out of the local branch of the League of the Cross.

Which just happened to be a temperance society!!!

"Dae ye sell fruit cider?"

"Aye, that'll be £7.50 a can, please"

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Glenconner said:

When did the Shire move into Keppoch Park?

Not until the 1930s. They didn't move there straight from the original one though - they played out of a couple of  parks in between - Balmore Park and Nelson Park....guessing the first of these was somewhere around Balmore Road, and your guess is as good as mine where the second one was!

If they went QMD, Balmore Rd.....Keppoch then logically Nelson Park was most likely somewhere between Balmore Road and Keppoch - now probably an industrial estate or the bingo hall.

Looking at the OS map for 1932, Keppoch is already there and the only 2 grounds I can see in the local area (that aren't Ashfield!) are one off Bilsland Drive and one in Ruchill Park.

https://www.old-maps.co.uk/index.html#/Map/259500/665500/10/101872

Millburn Park was at the back of chapel. The Candy move out to Provanmill in 1935 when the city used the Blochairn land for housing. Glenconner Park (the coup, the cage) is another story altogether. It was gifted to the city by the owners of Tennants Chemical Works after they milked the place dry, i'm being polite here. Don't ever look up the chemical works online. These guys make present day Amazon etc look like amateurs on the how to make a zillion quid stakes and pay nothing back. 

No wonder you said don't look it up as as Charles tennent was also known as LORD GLENCONNER so I'm assuming you got a cut of his zillions
Glenconner [emoji23][emoji23]

5 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Don't want to go into Saturday's handbags at dawn story but i notice the word drink getting mentioned. Since we're on an alternative history theme better mentioned St Roch's Junior Football Club came out of the local branch of the League of the Cross.

Which just happened to be a temperance society!!!

"Dae ye sell fruit cider?"

"Aye, that'll be £7.50 a can, please"

Big Tam was telling me on Saturday about the club being born out of the League of the Cross. St Anthony's too, I think he said. Very interesting. 

For the record I don't think bevvy had anything to do with the referee getting pelters. I gave it to him and was stone cold sober, as were most.   

1 hour ago, griffiti on the wall said:

While we are on the subject of history
2 questions for you all
First can anyone confirm the rochs highest attendance at JMP not Millburn Park and controversial one
Where does garngad start and end and is JMP actually in garngad ?

I thought the Garngad was from the big Roch to St Rochs. The other side of the railway bridge is Germiston so JMP is not in the Garngad.  

I

2 hours ago, Jason King said:

If they went QMD, Balmore Rd.....Keppoch then logically Nelson Park was most likely somewhere between Balmore Road and Keppoch - now probably an industrial estate or the bingo hall.

Looking at the OS map for 1932, Keppoch is already there and the only 2 grounds I can see in the local area (that aren't Ashfield!) are one off Bilsland Drive and one in Ruchill Park.

The only Nelson Park i've ever heard of was on land in the present day Barrowfield in Glasgow's East End. 

2 hours ago, Jason King said:

If it was in this location then...as from 1872,eighteen years before the Shire was founded, Hawthorn Street was,from Saracen Street to Ashfield Street,occupied on one side by the Saracen Foundry,and on the other side by the tenements built to house the foundry workers ....it could only have been sited on the ground where the Vogue cinema was later built.

PS Having said that,I seem to recall a red ash park behind the tenements where Possil YM played their games around 20 odd years ago.

9 minutes ago, griffiti on the wall said:

Anything you wish to know about the club tam and paul reddy should be your port of call
There knowledge of the club the community and the junior game in general is absolutely fantastic and it's always an education when you take the time to speak to them two lads

Would replace those two names with Jim Freil and Pat Woods and maybe one or two others standing on the terracing at Jimmy McGrory Park. Peter Flynn can go back to going with his father to see the Candy playing away during WW2 followed by being a player and manager.  Big Gordon at the corner flag easily must have been watching and helping the Candy 60 years plus. I came from a Candy supporting family but if any medals are being given out the present crew running the club must be up with best over the last 100 years. 

21 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

If it was in this location then...as from 1872,eighteen years before the Shire was founded, Hawthorn Street was,from Saracen Street to Ashfield Street,occupied on one side by the Saracen Foundry,and on the other side by the tenements built to house the foundry workers ....it could only have been sited on the ground where the Vogue cinema was later built.

PS Having said that,I seem to recall a red ash park behind the tenements where Possil YM played their games around 20 odd years ago.

Should add at one point for about 20 years Petershill's ground until 1935 was only along the road and under the railway bridge at Hawthorn St.

30 minutes ago, tommyboy said:

A lot of us of a certain age would remember the Perthshire Social Club beside the petrol station on Springburn Rd. Although back in time that hall belonged to the Oddfellows who were a benefit society pre the welfare state being set up in 1948. Seems before the Shire had that social club they had premises in Ardoch St in Possil.

What a great wee catch up of the last couple of dozen or so posts. The history of football weaves it’s way through almost every family and we all know a story of someone who was a great player or of an old ground we knew. The history of St Roch’s sounds fascinating and it would be great if someone one day wrote the book. Would be brilliant for the anniversary and could be a great project for a certain writing student I spoke to on Saturday who also contributes to this forum. [emoji460]️[emoji106] I am sure it would be a best seller and a great read. Just think of all the families who have ties to this club? All the players and all the fans and everyone who lived near. Some people don’t get football and don’t get what it can do and bring and mean to a community. What about all the people who now talk about us on line, good or bad, fact or fiction, praising us or slagging is off. Some clubs have no one who care about them. To think of St Roch’s in that way just adds impact to Bertie Auld’s “It’s a way of life” statement. I really think we are all so so lucky to be part of it.
Mon the Candy!
MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

3 hours ago, griffiti on the wall said:

While we are on the subject of history
2 questions for you all
First can anyone confirm the rochs highest attendance at JMP not Millburn Park and controversial one
Where does garngad start and end and is JMP actually in garngad ?

Provanmill Park, Home of the famous St Roch's Juniors FC as it used to say on the green gates beside the traffic lights.

Heard claims of several thousand in days of old at Scottish Junior Cup ties.

Even now in the 21st century with the right conditions it's possible the Candy could get a couple of thousand in if we reached the latter stages of the Scottish Junior Cup.

Might need to hire a couple of portaloos right enough.

To continue this history theme
We all know about the great jimmy mcgrory but can anyone shed some light on the other goalscorer in the cup final win of 21 theoften forgotten Johnny/Alec lol even I've forgotten his first name rollo.
I'm led to believe he joined rangers the same summer jimmy left for Celtic ( if true image that now losing your best two forwards to the Glasgow giants ) from little ole st rochs .
I'm also led to believe he never played a competitive match for rangers and was sold to st Johnstone then emigrated to America where he played then managed .
Any other info would be much appreciated as I would love to know more about the forgotten hero of 1921

15 minutes ago, Kinky Afro said:

What a great wee catch up of the last couple of dozen or so posts. The history of football weaves it’s way through almost every family and we all know a story of someone who was a great player or of an old ground we knew. The history of St Roch’s sounds fascinating and it would be great if someone one day wrote the book. Would be brilliant for the anniversary and could be a great project for a certain writing student I spoke to on Saturday who also contributes to this forum. emoji460.pngemoji106.png I am sure it would be a best seller and a great read. Just think of all the families who have ties to this club? All the players and all the fans and everyone who lived near. Some people don’t get football and don’t get what it can do and bring and mean to a community. What about all the people who now talk about us on line, good or bad, fact or fiction, praising us or slagging is off. Some clubs have no one who care about them. To think of St Roch’s in that way just adds impact to Bertie Auld’s “It’s a way of life” statement. I really think we are all so so lucky to be part of it.
Mon the Candy!
MTC!emoji172.pngemoji460.pngemoji106.png

Great post as usual Kinky.

As Pat Woods stated in his first book, success has many parents but defeat is an orphan. Or maybe it was, the opposite of love is not hate but indifference.

What a great wee catch up of the last couple of dozen or so posts. The history of football weaves it’s way through almost every family and we all know a story of someone who was a great player or of an old ground we knew. The history of St Roch’s sounds fascinating and it would be great if someone one day wrote the book. Would be brilliant for the anniversary and could be a great project for a certain writing student I spoke to on Saturday who also contributes to this forum. [emoji460]️[emoji106] I am sure it would be a best seller and a great read. Just think of all the families who have ties to this club? All the players and all the fans and everyone who lived near. Some people don’t get football and don’t get what it can do and bring and mean to a community. What about all the people who now talk about us on line, good or bad, fact or fiction, praising us or slagging is off. Some clubs have no one who care about them. To think of St Roch’s in that way just adds impact to Bertie Auld’s “It’s a way of life” statement. I really think we are all so so lucky to be part of it.
Mon the Candy!
MTC![emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Homeless glasgow do you fancy it
Be a fascinating story and a great read

Archived