St Roch's F.C. 2017-2018

ScottMcCorry

Thorniewood were Round are way on Wednesday, the candy wore their famous Pretty Green strip. They were looking for an all important three points in this quest for promotion or dare i say it title win. What a day that would be if they won the title, everybody would be feeling Supersonic and the Champagne would be Supernova. Im sure everybody would be out that night celebrating like RocknRoll stars with plenty of Cigarettes and Alcohol, even the ones thats Married with Children and we would be telling the rest of the teams in the league to Stop Crying their heart out.

Before the game started i went inside to Digsys Diner. The Girl in the dirty shirt said there was no Lasagne on the menu but their were Magic Pies and bovril so that is what i got.

The game got underway and Daw put the Candy 1-0 up with a great lob over the big goalies head who’s kick outs were like High flying birds. It finished that way at the half time interval and I’m sure Andy had all the boys Listen up and told them his Masterplan for the second half.

Then after many squandered chances and a penalty claim that Some might say was a penalty the wood made it 1-1. Were we going to be Looking back in anger about those missed chances ? But Watever happened before, we had to Be here now and gona Roll with it and get behind the team.

A few over hit and misplaced passes and you started to wonder if it was not going to be our night and Where did it all go wrong... but then you could see a bit of play creeping back in and some rhythm and i thought this is Gettin better man. Then it went in quick succession 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 and i think 5-1 was a fair result, their were only one team worthy of the win, everybody Standin by me im sure thought the same but as i get older and i am rockin in my Rockin chair im sure its not one of those games i will look back on and think wow what a game that was.

Candy don’t go All around the world on Saturday its just a trip over to Benburb. A big massive six pointer. Lets hope on saturday morning we all wake up with Morning glory at seeing ‘GAME ON’ then travel over to stand and cheer the Candy on in full voice like Songbirds and try bring Benburb on down that league as Little by little we play our games in hand and claw our way up the ladder and the Candy players who win the title will hold their place in history and their names will Live Forever ....

• Replies 942
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, The stinger said:

Thorniewood were Round are way on Wednesday, the candy wore their famous Pretty Green strip. They were looking for an all important three points in this quest for promotion or dare i say it title win. What a day that would be if they won the title, everybody would be feeling Supersonic and the Champagne would be Supernova. Im sure everybody would be out that night celebrating like RocknRoll stars with plenty of Cigarettes and Alcohol, even the ones thats Married with Children and we would be telling the rest of the teams in the league to Stop Crying their heart out.

Before the game started i went inside to Digsys Diner. The Girl in the dirty shirt said there was no Lasagne on the menu but their were Magic Pies and bovril so that is what i got.

The game got underway and Daw put the Candy 1-0 up with a great lob over the big goalies head who’s kick outs were like High flying birds. It finished that way at the half time interval and I’m sure Andy had all the boys Listen up and told them his Masterplan for the second half.

Then after many squandered chances and a penalty claim that Some might say was a penalty the wood made it 1-1. Were we going to be Looking back in anger about those missed chances ? But Watever happened before, we had to Be here now and gona Roll with it and get behind the team.

A few over hit and misplaced passes and you started to wonder if it was not going to be our night and Where did it all go wrong... but then you could see a bit of play creeping back in and some rhythm and i thought this is Gettin better man. Then it went in quick succession 2-1, 3-1, 4-1 and 5-1 and i think 5-1 was a fair result, their were only one team worthy of the win, everybody Standin by me im sure thought the same but as i get older and i am rockin in my Rockin chair im sure its not one of those games i will look back on and think wow what a game that was.

Candy don’t go All around the world on Saturday its just a trip over to Benburb. A big massive six pointer. Lets hope on saturday morning we all wake up with Morning glory at seeing ‘GAME ON’ then travel over to stand and cheer the Candy on in full voice like Songbirds and try bring Benburb on down that league as Little by little we play our games in hand and claw our way up the ladder and the Candy players who win the title will hold their place in history and their names will Live Forever ....

That’s all a bit of a BLUR

Now now Girls and Boys, no need to feel Tender but as much as Mr Albarn was a Charmless man and did have some great Songs 2, when i sit in my Country house with Coffee and Tv watch a programme on discovery channel about the Gorillaz it wont ever be as good as the listening to the brothers known Universal as Oasis [emoji12]

I’m just glad people can’t slip inside the eye of my mind when I start writing. Great work by the previous posters. This Candy thread ain’t one for the “We wiz robbed” posters. Wit is whit will win the day for me. Top marks all round.
Mon the Writers!
MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]

Goals thrills and bucket hats

A happy Saturday now the day is done after spending another match day with the candy 24 hour party people at Benburb .

We boarded the candy express to ride on straight to new tinto park for the promotion clash between 2nd and 3rd place .

A sea of bucket hats filled the little seated area as the candy faithful came in huge numbers to cheer on the pride of the Garngad .

Some lazyitus defending and possibly judge fudge missing an offside Benburb went in front and we looked like we were gonna struggle to break down the Govan long ball merchants until a few minutes before half time some beautiful build up play found kieran martin who smashed the ball with precise beauty into the roof of the net for a spectacular equaliser

Hallelujah .

The second half was a total disaster big starky usually so reliable spilled a weak shot which allowed bens to retake the lead then we lost both dickson and bryson to injury before once again uncle dysfunctional defending saw us go 3-1 down.

Lesser teams would have given up the ghost but not our lads a quick reshuffle and with 6 mins remaining and the away fans in a state of hurry hurry the gaffer decided to cut them loose Bruce and was rewarded when first jordy logan pulled one back scoring his 80th candy career goal in the process then with the match in its dying embers young mcmanus was pulled down and judge fudge pointed to the spot

A sea of bucket hats swayed in excitement as daw stepped up but it was never in doubt as bobs yer uncle the net rippled and the away end exploded during which some deviant from the bens bench decided to hit our keeper with a bottle as he raced to join the goal celebrations it made me want to call the cops .

It was a shame that kinky afro missed this high octane clash full of goal thrills and bucket hats but i look forward to seeing our very own tokoloshi man when he returns from his holiday tho i hope I made you clap your hands with this match report lol

“Uncle Dysfunctional” defending [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] ... bucket hats off to you for such a fabulous turn of phrase which you knew would excite me. So much better than “piss poor”....... I was despondent as I sat on a ferry in the middle of a fjord and saw twitter announce we were 3-1 down... I was then a few minutes later thrilled when it told me Jordan scored for 3-2 and before we docked on the 10 minute crossing I spotted a Dazzling Daw Draw has been secured. Credit to the lads.
A Candy heart is a big green pumping pride filled emotional and passionate thing and it takes you to places that a 120 Norwegian Krone pint of lager will never reach.
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji23]IMG_4912.jpg

“Uncle Dysfunctional” defending [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23] ... bucket hats off to you for such a fabulous turn of phrase which you knew would excite me. So much better than “piss poor”....... I was despondent as I sat on a ferry in the middle of a fjord and saw twitter announce we were 3-1 down... I was then a few minutes later thrilled when it told me Jordan scored for 3-2 and before we docked on the 10 minute crossing I spotted a Dazzling Daw Draw has been secured. Credit to the lads.
A Candy heart is a big green pumping pride filled emotional and passionate thing and it takes you to places that a 120 Norwegian Krone pint of lager will never reach.
Mon the Candy!
MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji23]IMG_4912.thumb.jpg.152d7f476dc2a7313d26c50d0d537c8f.jpg

You scrub up well kinky [emoji12]

In the last three weeks i've heard the Bahamas mentioned, New York, Rome (twice), Galway, Norway, a luxury hotel in the Highlands and a weekend in London all from regulars at Candy games. 

Oh well, i'll be in the Station Bar, Yoker from 5pm on Wednesday night if anyone wants to show me the old holiday snaps.

Today was the first time I have seen JMP decked out in the sun and she looked resplendent. 

Perthsire were gritty and it was good to read their Twitter account take their medicine and congratulate St Roch's for a hard fought win. 

Healthy crowd and an all round good day with Rossvale and Neilston drawing and bringing the Candy right back into contention.

If we could get two wins from Monday and Wednesday we will be sitting pretty. 

Great day out in the Garngad. 

He writes, he shoots, he scores.....

My auld man made it out of hospital, his second stay in successive weeks and nothing was going to keep him away. I think football does as much to keep him going as his insulin and who am I to withhold it? I have a trophy lifting day ahead and he decides to take in the Candy and let me do the 2 game shuffle. I arrange to get him at 1.30pm. My day starts in a fabulous way as the clock strikes Midnight, I don’t turn into a pumpkin but rather the reincarnation of John Travolta as the Kinky moves are busted in Downtown Glasgow and keep getting busted till 3am when (after a visit to the Blue Lagoon at Central station) I head to a lovely wee city centre hotel for a good nights kip in preparation for the day ahead. I don’t get that either as the Afro scores the first of the day, my first in a long while, the glitter accompaniment remnants like a badge of honour I wore with pride yesterday. It was some finish and my first goal for a while and like any striker who smashes the drought, I can’t wait for the next game..... we have the 2nd leg soon. I leave the Glasgow themed hotel and there are quotes woven into the carpet and I smile. “Football flows throw your veins and intae yer dreams”. The glorious sunshine’s welcomes me back into the land of the goalscorers and as I walk the walk of shame/pride through a resplendent City Centre I see an English football league manager and father of a championship winner sitting with his family at an alfresco table in the Glasgow sunshine. We shake hands and after I introduce him to the Lucky Lady we discuss the trophy lifting game that afternoon. Even in the throws and afterglow of your own performance, football can suck you back in. Central Station is full of the beautiful and hopeful as sharp dressed 3 piece suited and booted handsome young team lads accompany stunningly beautiful glamorous dolled up dolls as they all board the Ayr express for the Scottish National. The city is buzzing and I feel energised by the sunshine and my Double D goal and the Double Derby Day Delights ahead. I leave Central Station as black and white striped lads go for their train to their special day. I’ll see you later lads......I want some of that... first, I Want Candy.....

We enter the sun kissed JMcG and the strangest of sights awaits. I think I have walked into the set of “Kevin & Perry 2- Saving Candice from the Candy” as the graffiti man approached me. I say approached but he seemed to just appear as I was looking past him into the trees behind, his camouflage working a treat. There was to be no hiding yesterday though. After a few more handshakes and warm as the sun words I follow the well worn path to the coffee, pleased to see the old man negotiate the journey smoothly and without incident. Without incident. Without incident. Nothing to see here.... I spoke to the gaffer beforehand, reassuring him that despite injuries that we had enough about us to handle the game. Just a quick bit of praise here for our reserve goalie The Ginger Ninja. He has stepped up a few times now and been a credit to himself and been fantastic. Well done lad. I also shook hands with big B, our recently departed centre forward who joined yesterday’s opponents. I welcomed him back as a friend and it was good to see him as I know he hadn’t been well recently. I wished him well and I do. I heard he saw red later through.... the game starts and I take up my usual position at the side of the dug out. A hotbed of passion and comment and witty remarks and good banter, situated at the right hand of the Andy Candy Father. CommitteeManBet quote 1/4 a red card and the animated tipster identified 2 miscreants who were “Certainties to be sent off” One was dismissed walking off at half time and I think another was dismissed in the second half. A wise eye and punter’s pal that lad however the Kinky Afro Saints Derby Day Double (The Roch and The Mirren) was placed in my mind only as due to my involvement in the beautiful game I am not allowed to bet. This has actually saved me a right few quid since I started my paid work as I was a healthy contributor to the Joe Coral holiday fund in earlier times. Perhaps I should have placed the bet though as I quite fancy a stint at management, a wee Coastal Challenge just up the road from Blackpool sounds good.... One managerial master stroke selection yesterday was Steph McDonald. A lad with plenty of ability but a work rate that can infuriate and frustrate some fans. A dynamic and energetic position up top is not what he does. He has good feet, can hold the ball up and bring others in, and notch a goal but 100% pacey channel running is not his forte. What might be though is this emergency holding midfield role which he performed yesterday and turned in one of the best defensive midfield performances I have seen since the Glory Glory Candy Candy Candy Holy Trinity of Sweeney, Febers and Daw. He launched a perfect 3 hat trick of clearances (one head, one left foot and one right) in rapid succession a combined distance of 226 yards, none of the 3 touched the ground till they were 50 yards over the touch line. A clear your lines and break things up and dishearten your opposition and make your centre halfs happy defensive skill that has the Kinky Man in the throws of Orgasmic Observation. It was no surprise to this commentator, enlightened as I am and highly experienced and qualified in the art of defensive destruction, that he was awarded the Candy MOTM. Well done son, your best performance in a Candy shirt I have seen. Credit to the gafffer and his team too as they were operating a skeleton crew but to me we looked solid and up for the battle. There is no heart like a Candy heart.

You get nothing in this game unless you work and I mentioned early on to CommitteeManBet that this was a game for clam heads. I was almost argued out the ground as he replied with an uncharacteristic volley that “calm has its place but git right intae this lot”. It was obvious to me that this game had more to it than I knew. I am not saying I am always right, but as I sat in Paisley Championship Winning Sunshine later and Twitter reported the flurry of red cards and the eventual outcome, I smiled inwardly. I have played in hostile environments and big derby games where passion gets confused for aggression. Strength and fight is not shown by punching someone or Cantona Kicking someone in the stomach or snapping them in two from behind (although I used to use this tactic often, sometimes I wouldn’t even get a card!! Those were the days my friends...) or by losing your head and acting stupid. Calm heads win games. That doesn’t mean uninterested or not trying, it means be clever, be disciplined, stay focused, maintain shape and standards. Teams who get red cards lose more games than they win, fact. If both teams get red cards then the team who gets more lose more than the other team, fact. Our early season foibles attracted my critical comment and over the last few weeks I have been impressed at how some players have advanced. I never saw one red yesterday, not even the one at half time and I was only told about it by 2 PetLipped Perthshire fans in the clubhouse pie shop at half time. They were lamenting that their lad was “a red card waiting to happen” and one lad said he had told the gaffer not to play him. As it was they were down to 10 men and 2-0 down and nothing, and especially the stats, was looking good for them. As I left for the trophy presentation and an afternoon tanning the Kinky freckles in radiant sunshine, Derby Day #2 has the same passion, more fans, more noise but no better performance than a tasty McDonald’s. The Buddies won and I saw them lift the the trophy. Jack Ross spoke on the mic to the waiting crowd and it rang true for the Candy too. “Some of you have never seen this club win anything. Enjoy it. We are on our way” and as he dropped the mic to thunderous applause there was a feeling of overriding sunshine smiles and I was joining in.

There is something about football that makes me smile. I know what it is and I try to share wee snippets of the fun thoughts that fill my football mind on a match day and the thoughts that need a release when I write about them on here. I love how when you do certain things that certain things happen. I love how I know certain things will happen and then I see it happen. I love the structure and confidence I feel in that environment. I love how I can join in or step out and be as involved or invested as I want. It doesn’t matter what I do or think because the game goes on and it will do long after we are all gone. Some things stand true though and always will. Football is about standards. If you do the right thing and give it everything you have and keep your standards high and be true to yourself, then football will give you so much back that it will comfort you in times of sadness, it will keep you warm in the winters of your self doubt and it will give you life and hope when all seems lost. I won’t ever forget what football gives me and yesterday, although I missed a CommitteeManBet pay out, it gave me so much.. more than money could ever buy. Oh, by the way.. did I tell you about the cracking goal I scored yesterday? Another time perhaps......

Mon the Candy!

MTC! [emoji517][emoji172][emoji460]️[emoji106]IMG_5104.thumb.jpg.5d28b75db9b3147a62ae524974b73767.jpgIMG_5105.thumb.jpg.902039ea16642c1d001d365d04fd13fe.jpgIMG_5123.thumb.jpg.c74543b94daab5a963a3603a2febb4c5.jpg

IMG_5122.thumb.jpg.0d0ebda20f9a9faaa1fbd1e47710730b.jpg

IMG_5102.thumb.jpg.55bf6c2b970677e092a9e31c0c5fa7ad.jpg

Great three points last night for us. I wouldn't say we were bad by any stretch, but the conditions really restricted any real chance of football breaking out. However, both teams dug in and tried their best.

A lovely Jordan Logan touch and finish probably deserved to win the match for us, it being a high quality finish.

As tight as the scoreline was, in my memory Greenock never really tested the keeper and could only really count a few half chances....but equally so, i think the Greenock keeper will  have busier days this season.

In summary, 3 points and we move on to Neilston.... 

That was effing sensational tonight. 

Hard fought and thoroughly deserved victory. 

Win the next two games against Port Glasgow and Shotts and regardless of what our rivals do we go top of the league. 

Jordan Logan with two winners in three days. 

Junior football pisses all over the seniors for excitement. 

As a fan, i was afforded the chance to be disrespectful to Greenock and look to last nights game. Turns out, we needed a superb finish and dogged performance to beat Greenock, however the players and management deserved the credit for keeping their eyes on the next match and keep battling away, taking 10 from 12 in the recent midweeks.

The recent draw with Yoker, when leading twice and late in the day, was a body blow...so to put ourselves back into contention for the title is massive.

Yesterday evening was exciting, excruciating and exhilarating all in equal measures (a poor attempt at alliteration there)  but i felt we were worth the points, if not for the overall performance, but more for the game plan. We knew Neilston would play it direct and by god they did....as much as it did nothing to warm my cockles on a cold night. I like the way its their game plan, an each player knows how it goes...a system that isn't easy on the eye, isn't necessarily a bad system. The team play well off their #9, and the 2 centre backs could tag team in the WWE the size of them. So to come in to that, without any real height of note, says that my team considered what they were up against and dealt accordingly. Outstanding.

But the game is done and nearly time to calm things down and ultimately look to the next task. Port Glasgow have proven their worth more than once and  currently sit in 6th. Unfortunately for any neutrals attending, i think its all about the result....performance would be nice of course.

Eye on the prize....6 to go.

Mon the Candy 

Fixture wise.

We have Port Glasgow (A) on Saturday 28th April

We have Shotts Bon Accord (A) on Monday the 30th April

We have Lesmahagow (A) on Wednesday the 2nd May

No fixture penned for the 5th May

That leaves us Thorniewood (A), Forth (A) and Wishaw (H).

Despite there being 3 remaining Saturdays after the 5th May, each those teams have 13 or more fixtures to cram in before June, Wishaw with 18.

So its very likely we can finish this season on 3 midweeks in May. Which could have a massive bearing on the promotion race (for St Roch's in any case)

Just an observation.

Hopefully this trip to Port Glasgow is better than a January day in 1988. A good mate at the time now living in foreign shores gave me a shout out for a Junior cup replay. Be at Provanmill Park for 11.30 am, the Candy are running a bus, he says. Sure enough come Saturday we turn up and troop on the bus. The team, the manager plus 3 committee men. And the entire Roch support which consisted of my mate and me. Now i know a few of the Candy old timers who go back 40/50/60/70 odd years, some of them were standing at Neilston last night. But for whatever reason they weren't there that day in 1988. Anyway down to the Port we go and being there early obviously with the team we decide to wander into Port Glasgow town centre. Bag of chips later and we wander back to the ground. Now remember it's 1988 and the technological revolution was Channel Four and a BetaMax video recorder. Nae mobile phones, nae Twitter .

And nae bus, the game was called off and the team had effed off back to Glasgow minus moi.

Mon the Candy right enough.

Archived