Burnie_man

Junior football, what is the future?

24 minutes ago, Kennie said:

My invite must have got lost in the post.

West Region management committee met on Tuesday 8th October, West Region General meeting is not until Thursday 31st October.

There's been nothing in between.

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory Kennie

4 hours ago, santheman said:

Don't let the facts get in the way of a good conspiracy theory Kennie

........or Kennie wasn't invited ūü§£

15 hours ago, Kennie said:

My invite must have got lost in the post.

West Region management committee met on Tuesday 8th October, West Region General meeting is not until Thursday 31st October.

There's been nothing in between.

Brexit jexit and Halloween all in the one day 

Inaminate Carbon Rod has seemed to have his finger on the pulse where Clydebank are concerned in the past, so what to make of this? Windup or the cat's out the bag now on a breakaway movement by some west region clubs that the SFA bigwigs are taking seriously enough to meet?

Inaminate Carbon Rod has seemed to have his finger on the pulse where Clydebank are concerned in the past, so what to make of this? Windup or the cat's out the bag now on a breakaway movement by some west region clubs that the SFA bigwigs are taking seriously enough to meet?

Miscommunication from my source in Hampden. Believe the sjfa meeting was attended by some from the sfa not the west region meeting. Dont believe anything was agreed however.

On 19/10/2019 at 13:33, LongTimeLurker said:

Have I missed a recent post from ICR regarding Clydebank ?

Recently the Bankies seem to be as silent as the rest of the West Juniors.

Have I missed a recent post from ICR regarding Clydebank ?
Recently the Bankies seem to be as silent as the rest of the West Juniors.

It was on another thread, I got my west regions and sjfa mixed up. Thus my post above. Yes quiet on the pyramid at our end, hopefully not for long, clocks ticking for the sjfa to get it resolved.

On 20/10/2019 at 23:50, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

It was on another thread, I got my west regions and sjfa mixed up. Thus my post above. Yes quiet on the pyramid at our end, hopefully not for long, clocks ticking for the sjfa to get it resolved.

Should be resolved in another 3 or 4 seasons.  Eventually, no panic.  

Meanwhile, Bonnyrigg / East Kilbride / BSC / Edinburgh City and Broxburn are all safely in to R4 of the Scottish Cup, and Penicuik enjoyed their run which ended in a superb day out in Glasgow. 

Surely to goodness everyone can see it now(?)  

7 hours ago, Che Dail said:

Should be resolved in another 3 or 4 seasons.  Eventually, no panic.  

Meanwhile, Bonnyrigg / East Kilbride / BSC / Edinburgh City and Broxburn are all safely in to R4 of the Scottish Cup, and Penicuik enjoyed their run which ended in a superb day out in Glasgow. 

Surely to goodness everyone can see it now(?)  

Yes clubs are seeing it. They've seen it for a while now. Losing money just from being licenced and from automatic entry into the Scottish Cup has made club treasurers sit up and now they're making it difficult for cautious committees to just sit back and go with the flow rather than looking at the realistic costs of going for a licence, or even just joining the Pyramid. There's bound to be an Alex Jack equivalent for non-licenced clubs too so some clubs will have a chance of Scottish FA Cup entry without being licenced. They'll probably have more of a chance of winning that than winning the Junior Cup or Regional League! 

Edited by Dev

48 minutes ago, Dev said:

Yes clubs are seeing it. They've seen it for a while now. Losing money just from licenced and from automatic entry into the Scottish Cup has mad club treasurers sit up and now they're making it difficult for cautious committees to just sit back and go with the flow rather than looking at the realistic costs of going for a licence, or even just joining the Pyramid. There's bound to be an Alex Jack equivalent for non-licenced clubs too so some clubs will have a chance of Scottish FA Cup entry without being licenced. They'll probably have more of a chance of winning that than winning the Junior Cup or Regional League! 

The fact that Broxburn and Penicuik - not the biggest clubs in the East by any means - have amassed over £60k in prize money between them so far alone, plus all the added benefits inc four figure home crowds, unheard of media exposure, matches at Premiership and Championship clubs etc has to have people sit up and take notice.  If they can do that, then others can.  Speaking solely of the East, the likes of Whitburn, Armadale, Bathgate and Fauldhouse have the potential to do what Broxburn  & Penicuik have done, even Tayport if they recapture their former glory.

Followers of these clubs can no longer just sit back and say "but we're a Junior club and always will be". Times have changed dramatically.

18 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Followers of these clubs can no longer just sit back and say "but we're a Junior club and always will be". Times have changed dramatically.

I couldn't agree more, but convincing the people in power at many clubs is still an issue.

7 minutes ago, glensmad said:

I couldn't agree more, but convincing the people in power at many clubs is still an issue.

Many a cautious committee is trying to come to terms with an awkward situation, and it can't be easy. Supporters are now quizzing them, which is a difficult pressure to deal with. They'll also have AGM's ahead and the old certainties may not be so certain any more.

43 minutes ago, Dev said:

Many a cautious committee is trying to come to terms with an awkward situation, and it can't be easy. Supporters are now quizzing them, which is a difficult pressure to deal with. They'll also have AGM's ahead and the old certainties may not be so certain any more.

I really can't see what would change for 99% of the West clubs to at least join the pyramid.

They would still be playing against the same teams, in the same league structure, in front of the same crowds.

The only change would come for the really ambitious clubs who seek to gain a licence and get promoted from tier 6 to tier 5, i.e. winning what is currently the West Region Premiership. And to do that you need a bit of money behind you, as it means finishing a league season above the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Kilwinning Rangers, Pollok etc.

So for almost all of the clubs there is absolutely nothing to lose, but in my opinion plenty to gain in terms of marketing opportunities.

I really can't see what would change for 99% of the West clubs to at least join the pyramid.
They would still be playing against the same teams, in the same league structure, in front of the same crowds.
The only change would come for the really ambitious clubs who seek to gain a licence and get promoted from tier 6 to tier 5, i.e. winning what is currently the West Region Premiership. And to do that you need a bit of money behind you, as it means finishing a league season above the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Kilwinning Rangers, Pollok etc.
So for almost all of the clubs there is absolutely nothing to lose, but in my opinion plenty to gain in terms of marketing opportunities.
Part of the issue there's a mentality of american exceptionalism within junior football ie it's something unique that can't be offered anywhere else & to cease to be junior clubs would lose what makes thr football they play/watch what it is. In the case of the west this is down to in part senior non-league never really being a thing in this part of the world thus senior football is percieved to be SPFL football.

Of course in reality there's nothing overly unique about 'junior' football & the experience whether watching Whittlets, Wick, Whitehill or Whitewills is broadly the same when you look past gradeism. It's affordable football at a regional level by clubs & people representing their town, village or district of a city that survives off the back of hard working individuals & volunteers.

3 hours ago, GNU_Linux said:

Part of the issue there's a mentality of american exceptionalism within junior football ie it's something unique that can't be offered anywhere else & to cease to be junior clubs would lose what makes thr football they play/watch what it is. In the case of the west this is down to in part senior non-league never really being a thing in this part of the world thus senior football is percieved to be SPFL football.

Of course in reality there's nothing overly unique about 'junior' football & the experience whether watching Whittlets, Wick, Whitehill or Whitewills is broadly the same when you look past gradeism. It's affordable football at a regional level by clubs & people representing their town, village or district of a city that survives off the back of hard working individuals & volunteers.

That's a good analogy with American exceptionalism, where they think that they live in the greatest country in the world when it demonstrably isn't due to the simple fact they've never been anywhere else.

Aside from Glasgow University being ritually horsed every year in the "big" Scottish, most haven't been exposed to non league senior football at all unlike out East where senior and junior existed cheek by jowl for many years. It's only now filtering through that the likes of Linlithgow Rose and Bo'ness United didn't magically stop being Linlithgow Rose and Bo'ness United by dint of switching leagues, while even the most dyed in the wool juniors club treasurers must be looking at Kelty and Bonnyrigg right now and beginning to wonder.

Edited by Hillonearth

Maybe worth bearing in mind that pyramid entry was agreed at the SJFA's 2018 AGM, so the stumbling block now is more to do with blazer politics than persuading committee members at club level. Hopefully, something sensible gets proposed at next month's PWG meeting that breaks the logjam.

Add to it the Bridge of Don debacle last weekend,fox holes etc,Fauldhouse Utd getting shafted.

The SJFA ar their best,absolute joke of an organisation.

With the above and the great results and performances of former junior sides in the William Hill Scottish cup,its wakey wakey time.

13 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Maybe worth bearing in mind that pyramid entry was agreed at the SJFA's 2018 AGM, so the stumbling block now is more to do with blazer politics than persuading committee members at club level. Hopefully, something sensible gets proposed at next month's PWG meeting that breaks the logjam.

Which prompts the question again which I've seen asked a few times. Was the mandate given by the clubs to the SJFA that they must have all the affiliated teams move into the pyramid together, or was it simply to get the affiliated teams into the pyramid ? If it is the latter, then what is stopping the West Region being incorporated now ? If it is the former, then surely the North Region's statement of non-interest in joining the pyramid surely is a "game changer" which should prompt another vote ?

A second "Jexit" referendum perhaps ? :angel