Burnie_man

Junior football, what is the future?

Think Blackburn were lucky (or forward thinking and sensible depending on how you look at it) timing wise in terms of larger grants still being available. Its some of the smaller clubs that are doing it at the moment that probably have a story to tell:

If St Andrews United can do it, it shouldn't be mission impossible for most west region clubs over the course of a few seasons? You don't need to have it to enter the pyramid at tier 6 or below, so most ambitious smaller clubs in the west would have several years worth of difficult to achieve promotions in front of them before it would ever be likely to be a requirement, if the WRSJFA joins intact next season. That provides plenty of time to put the pieces together on licensing and build for the future.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

The Devil's Lanterns should be banned. 

On a more serious note, how did teams train midweek in years past? There wasn't a council owned pitch in Scotland that had floodlights on them pre the 1980s at the earliest.

How did Blackburn raise the finance for their floodlights? I'm sure it will be of interest to other teams that have ambitions of going down the same route.
Dunno shuggie, they are well over 35 years old, I remember playing on the floodlight ash pitch when at school.

Absolutely, this truth needs repeating as many times as is needed until it sinks in.

I keep hearing the phrase, something like "this pyramid thing is going to cost a fortune".

No it is not. It's not going to cost you a penny more.

I repeat again, a club licence is only going to be required for access to tier 5. That means that a club will only need a licence if they are good enough to win what is currently the West Region Premiership. To do that, and beat off the challenge from the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Kilwinning Rangers, Pollok etc, then you'll need to have some decent form of financial backing anyway. You can't win that league paying chocolate buttons.

For the other clubs in the West, absolutely nothing would change, other than you can now market your club as "playing in tier X of the Scottish pyramid". You'll still be playing the same teams, in the same league structure, at the same grounds.

There is absolutely nothing to fear about joining the pyramid for the West teams, but plenty to gain in terms of marketing opportunities.

Don't be fooled by the (perhaps deliberate) misinformation which is circulating. Do your own research. You'll find out there is absolutely nothing to lose.
Did you post previously that you'd been tasked with making a plan to get the Glens licence ready?

If so how did you get on? Have the licencing committee been welcoming with you being near neighbours of the SFA?

40 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

The Devil's Lanterns should be banned. 

On a more serious note, how did teams train midweek in years past? There wasn't a council owned pitch in Scotland that had floodlights on them pre the 1980s at the earliest.

Usually in a small gym.

Did you post previously that you'd been tasked with making a plan to get the Glens licence ready?

If so how did you get on? Have the licencing committee been welcoming with you being near neighbours of the SFA?

It is a work in progress, we have not yet formally submitted a licence application.

It is a work in progress, we have not yet formally submitted a licence application.
Cheers, I take it from your initial reply your not too overwhelmed with it? I know it's a pot of paperwork but definitely possible for most bigger west clubs

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

Absolutely, this truth needs repeating as many times as is needed until it sinks in.

I keep hearing the phrase, something like "this pyramid thing is going to cost a fortune".

No it is not. It's not going to cost you a penny more.

I repeat again, a club licence is only going to be required for access to tier 5. That means that a club will only need a licence if they are good enough to win what is currently the West Region Premiership. To do that, and beat off the challenge from the likes of Auchinleck Talbot, Kilwinning Rangers, Pollok etc, then you'll need to have some decent form of financial backing anyway. You can't win that league paying chocolate buttons.

For the other clubs in the West, absolutely nothing would change, other than you can now market your club as "playing in tier X of the Scottish pyramid". You'll still be playing the same teams, in the same league structure, at the same grounds.

There is absolutely nothing to fear about joining the pyramid for the West teams, but plenty to gain in terms of marketing opportunities.

Don't be fooled by the (perhaps deliberate) misinformation which is circulating. Do your own research. You'll find out there is absolutely nothing to lose.

Long term it will benefit as Juniors clubs find the level needed to suit them. It ain't the Junior clubs that need to worry but certain SFL teams going the other way. Half the present Senior League teams are open to seeing a lot lower than the Lowland League. More than East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers will be coming down the way.

Edited by Tutankhamen

4 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

It ain't the Junior clubs that need to worry but certain SFL going the other way. Half the present Seniot League teams are open to seeing a lot lower than the Lowland League. More than East Stirlingshire and Berwick Rangers will be coming down the way.

That part is certainly true. East Stirlingshire went 2nd, 4th and 6th and needed a sugar daddy. Berwick are sitting 12th and there have been posters that would happily see an investor come in to take over the club.

You've now got the likes of Brechin City getting their fans to add to a fighting fund to avoid relegation. While some of that fear is around dropping to the HL, it's not like the LL would be any better for them.

Cheers, I take it from your initial reply your not too overwhelmed with it? I know it's a pot of paperwork but definitely possible for most bigger west clubs
We have the majority of the requirements already in place, however there are a number of smaller requirements which would need addressing and costing. Whether that means we take it further remains to be discussed internally.

3 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

That part is certainly true. East Stirlingshire went 2nd, 4th and 6th and needed a sugar daddy. Berwick are sitting 12th and there have been posters that would happily see an investor come in to take over the club.

You've now got the likes of Brechin City getting their fans to add to a fighting fund to avoid relegation. While some of that fear is around dropping to the HL, it's not like the LL would be any better for them.

Would it be a shock if a bigger name was to fall. A few bad seasons, no money and the support walks. Not beyond the likes of Clyde ending up playing Ruthergen Glencairn in a league game sometime in the mid to long term. I can remember watching Kilmarnock playing Queens Park at Hampden in the then bottom league. A few bad seasons or a few good seasons depending on which way each club is going. Killie v say Irvine Meadow is not as far fetched as it seems in a true pyramid. 

On 21/12/2019 at 18:20, nicotina said:

it helps if u don't have to put money into a ground for upkeep etc

lok are flawed in many ways, toilet etc but at least we own our own ground and have an identity with an area

Do you not think this is where polloks problem lies that owning their ground is a problem when it comes to trying to upgrade it to licence standard it's too costly to achieve where teams that rent from councils or any other ways seem to get the standard required for a fraction of the cost. Would it not be easier selling the ground which would probably be worth several million and build a modern stadium that will give the club a base for years too come . Where they could move to in the area I dont know but that's what I would consider.

Do you not think this is where polloks problem lies that owning their ground is a problem when it comes to trying to upgrade it to licence standard it's too costly to achieve where teams that rent from councils or any other ways seem to get the standard required for a fraction of the cost. Would it not be easier selling the ground which would probably be worth several million and build a modern stadium that will give the club a base for years too come . Where they could move to in the area I dont know but that's what I would consider.
Perhaps they could move to Pollok ?

6 hours ago, wow-wee said:

Looking ahead, Pollok's licensing problem maybe in securing approval for installing floodlights, owing to the ground's proximity to residential properties. NCL Golspie Sutherland failed to get council permission to install lights, following objections from local residents.

Relocation could be necessary.

Maybe not presenting the best case scenario for them there, uncle Bob...I can almost hear the rustling of Werthers Original wrappers from thirty miles away...

The licensing process will only be an issue as and when the west junior clubs join the pyramid, and only for clubs that wish to get licensed - to either play in the Scottish Cup or because they are going for promotion to the LL. Clubs can of course get their house in order prior to making any move but there is no requirement to change anything they currently do in order to join the pyramid, literally not a thing. Just push the sjfa to move over en masse (West only at this stage), job done.

15 hours ago, Robert James said:

Looking ahead, Pollok's licensing problem maybe in securing approval for installing floodlights, owing to the ground's proximity to residential properties. NCL Golspie Sutherland failed to get council permission to install lights, following objections from local residents.

Relocation could be necessary.

I never understand how floodlights can be objectionable... It's not like they are turned on in the middle of the night keeping people awake. Lack of community support definitely an issue for local clubs in some places.