Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 hours ago, Hillonearth said:

I've been trying to visit the Highland League grounds over the last few years - most games I've been to average in the 100-250 bracket depending on how the team's playing and how big a game it is.

The HFL attendances they used to have in the papers were notorious; one time I went up to Fort William there were only about 30 there, but the Sunday Mail claimed an attendance of 160 the next day...

Heard something similar with Nairn - my cousin went along once and reported 100 but the press said 300.

On 15/11/2018 at 10:59, cmontheloknow said:

Heard something similar with Nairn - my cousin went along once and reported 100 but the press said 300.

Typically HL attendances are higher than LL.  The clubs with the bigger attendances tend to be Wick, Buckie, Fraserburgh, Inverurie who average 300-350, Wick generallly slightly more, Cove are near the 300 mark. Brora, Deveronvale, probably around 200-250. The rest with the exception of Fort William and Strathspey will range from 100-200. As with everything football at this level, midweek fixtures and postponements significantly affects attendance.

Typically HL attendances are higher than LL.  The clubs with the bigger attendances tend to be Wick, Buckie, Fraserburgh, Inverurie who average 300-350, Wick generallly slightly more, Cove are near the 300 mark. Brora, Deveronvale, probably around 200-250. The rest with the exception of Fort William and Strathspey will range from 100-200. As with everything football at this level, midweek fixtures and postponements significantly affects attendance.

When we played Brora in the Scottish in 2009, they had more fans supporting them from outside the boundary fence than in the ground. Crowd given as 150 with 2 full medda supporters buses.

14 hours ago, .Stuart. said:

When we played Brora in the Scottish in 2009, they had more fans supporting them from outside the boundary fence than in the ground. Crowd given as 150 with 2 full medda supporters buses.

Brora in 2018 is unrecognisable from Brora in 2009.

5 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

This has just bobbed up..

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/draft-proposal-to-create-fifth-tier-league-three/

TLDR?

League 3: 4 Lowland; 4 Highland; 4 Colts. Under SPFL control.

Bonkers.

What's needed, if anything, is MORE regionalisation, not less. And no colts!!

So it'll probably be a shoo-in.

Edited by archieb

On 17/11/2018 at 13:09, cmontheloknow said:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/sport/football/highland-league/draft-proposal-to-create-fifth-tier-league-three/

TLDR?

Celtic & Rangers Colts, but how would the SPFL select the other two 'lucky' clubs ?

On 17/11/2018 at 13:09, cmontheloknow said:

TLDR?

Add on the Lowland League 2 that cropped up a couple of weeks ago.

Hypothetically, if all the Juniors joined the pyramid,how many seasons would it take a team at the bottom of the West Juniors to reach the top division in Scotland, allowing for winning the various leagues and playoffs and LL2 and SFL3 being added?

49 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Celtic & Rangers Colts, but how would the SPFL select the other two 'lucky' clubs ?

On merit the four would be Hibs, Dundee, Hearts and Aberdeen.

Be interesting to see if the SPFL would use merit as a basis for such a decision...

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 13:09, cmontheloknow said:

TLDR?

On ‎11‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 15:02, archieb said:

Bonkers.

What's needed, if anything, is MORE regionalisation, not less. And no colts!!

So it'll probably be a shoo-in.

6 hours ago, Glenconner said:

Add on the Lowland League 2 that cropped up a couple of weeks ago.

Hypothetically, if all the Juniors joined the pyramid,how many seasons would it take a team at the bottom of the West Juniors to reach the top division in Scotland, allowing for winning the various leagues and playoffs and LL2 and SFL3 being added?

This is what they want the juniors to get involved with.

"Come on over, the grass is far greener over here, we will do away with the glass ceiling and we'll all become one big happy family."

Meanwhile the self preservation society kicks in. "Don't tell the Juniors, but once they agree to join, we'll remove the glass ceiling, but we'll just built some more layers onto the wall and keep them in their place."

...or it's a case of how do we get the Old Firm colt teams in before the logical starting point for any new team will be the fourth level of the west region at tier 9 complete with trips to Muirkirk and Forth? The introduction of colt teams has already been rejected previously, so I seriously doubt it will happen. Looks like one last desperate roll of the dice on that.

The SPFL3 isnt self preservation. Its an attempt by (I assume) the old firm to get colts into the league system. The idea has been shot down by fans on here of clubs from Premiership to League Two. If the proposal ever gets to a formal stage it'll be voted down by SPFL members. The SPFL3 idea however is awful I agree.

I don't think anyone would take up such an option as it'd mean in the West being in tier 9. I don't see say the OF seeing benifit in having their colts up against the likes of Ardeer or Newmains et al.

The only example of colts/reserves I know of in junior football was Spartan reserves who ran for a few seasons a few years ago.

Surely it wouldn't matter if Clydebank stayed. As of next season (assuming it goes ahead as planned) all current junior clubs will effectivley be senior as clubs will be bound directly by the SFA in regards to registration, discipline etc ie what the SJFA currently handles.

I'm assuming everything works out re: pyramid. Ofc if it doesnt I'd expect an SFA led WOS league & in that case it's a no brainer for Clydebank to go.