Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 minute ago, stanley said:

People need to stop engaging with Khufu or move the conversation over to the EoS section and hope he doesn't follow.

Why on earth would you move a thread about the Juniors' future to the EoS section?

You make no sense.

Standards to become or remain full SFA members.   The SJFA are free to copy them or bring in their own.

Indeed the HL used to enforce ( quite stringent ) requirements for member- and prospective member- clubs prior to the set up of the pyramid.

It wasn’t based on excluding anyone it was based on what they perceived to be the minimum standards for supporters to encounter within a stadium at that level ( which they believed was the best non league set up in the country).

1 minute ago, Khufu2 said:

Why on earth would you move a thread about the Juniors' future to the EoS section?

You make no sense.

The future of the east juniors (south of the Tay at least) is the EoS so it makes perfect sense, thanks.  

Just now, stanley said:

The future of the east juniors (south of the Tay at least) is the EoS so it makes perfect sense, thanks.  

The east juniors form a minority of all junior clubs.  The place to discuss junior clubs is here, not in the EoS section. That would make no sense.

8 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

The east juniors form a minority of all junior clubs.  The place to discuss junior clubs is here, not in the EoS section. That would make no sense.

I think it would make sense to talk, in the EoS section, about the potential for some of the remaining juniors joining the EoS in 2019 or later.

Anyway, I'm done debating this.

Indeed the HL used to enforce ( quite stringent ) requirements for member- and prospective member- clubs prior to the set up of the pyramid.

It wasn’t based on excluding anyone it was based on what they perceived to be the minimum standards for supporters to encounter within a stadium at that level ( which they believed was the best non league set up in the country).
If an amateur club wants to play in the Junior Cup it needs to conform to SJFA standards and become full members. Not sure what the difference is.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Pie and Bovril mobile app

1 hour ago, Stag Nation said:

Which does not rule out Junior clubs, e.g. Clydebank.

Clubs are expected to join a suitable level 6 league if it exists. Story goes that Talbot got to the last stage and were expected to join the SoS to get over the last hurdle. East Juniors to EoS etc...

Only clubs that seem to get a pass are those in the HFL catchment where they pretend there's no clubs beneath them and the SFA don't enforce a level 6 feeder to it.

The punchline is that IF the SJFA had got on board at the outset, way back in the naughties, they'd quite possibly BE level 6.

Edited by cmontheloknow

1 minute ago, stanley said:

I think it would make sense to talk, in the EoS section, about the potential for some of the remaining juniors joining the EoS in 2019 or later.

Anyway, I'm done debating this.

I'm sure it would. That's not what's being discussed here though.

Toodle-pip!

1 hour ago, Khufu2 said:

How does Glasgow Uni participate in the SFA system?  

I'm glad you asked that :

Girvan, Golspie Sutherland & Glasgow University have been SFA Members back into the last century. They were licensed under the 'ancient historic rights', and are reviewed by the SFA on the timescales set out in the SFA list of Licensed Clubs :  (latest version dated June 2018).

Banks O'Dee & Linlithgow Rose   were licensed under the 'more recent historic rights', and are also reviewed in accordance with the dates set out in the SFA list.

So all 5 clubs qualify under previous versions of the SFA rules. The SFA subsequently changed the rules to include commitment to the pyramid, but decided to permit the above clubs to retain membership under the old rules.  

PS  : apologies for the fictitious descriptions in italics above, but someone on this forum (about 400 posts ago) wanted an explanation as to the meaning of these (slang) titles. They have been referred to occasionally since. The joke continues........

My fervent yet forlorn hope is that at the end of this process all semi-professional clubs will be licenced as part of the pyramid structure  resulting in a slow but sure transition to people supporting their local team. This will go some way to redressing one of the biggest problems in scottish football - fans travelling from all over Scotland to watch the Old Firm. Both clubs support is significantly bolstered through fans following due to their so called religious faith when in fact the vast majority of them have no religious faith at all.  If ,over time, support for clubs shifted to a geographic rather than a religious base Scottish football would be much stronger for it. I would love to see my hometown club of Carluke get a licence and be part of the Scottish Cup. The town has a population of 15,000 and based on that could in theory be a viable club in a higher league if the community got engaged and followed their local team. I’d say the goes for all juniors clubs. I doubt however it will ever happen...the pull of the Old firm is too strong.

52 minutes ago, Robert James said:

I'm glad you asked that :

Girvan, Golspie Sutherland & Glasgow University have been SFA Members back into the last century. They were licensed under the 'ancient historic rights', and are reviewed by the SFA on the timescales set out in the SFA list of Licensed Clubs :  (latest version dated June 2018).

Banks O'Dee & Linlithgow Rose   were licensed under the 'more recent historic rights', and are also reviewed in accordance with the dates set out in the SFA list.

So all 5 clubs qualify under previous veSo in rsions of the SFA rules. The SFA subsequently changed the rules to include commitment to the pyramid, but decided to permit the above clubs to retain membership under the old rules.  

PS  : apologies for the fictitious descriptions in italics above, but someone on this forum (about 400 posts ago) wanted an explanation as to the meaning of these (slang) titles. They have been referred to occasionally since. The joke continues........

So in answer to my question, GU doesn't participate in the SFA system. The SFA giveth and the SFA taketh away.

19 minutes ago, redstarbenhar said:

My fervent yet forlorn hope is that at the end of this process all semi-professional clubs will be licenced as part of the pyramid structure  resulting in a slow but sure transition to people supporting their local team. This will go some way to redressing one of the biggest problems in scottish football - fans travelling from all over Scotland to watch the Old Firm. Both clubs support is significantly bolstered through fans following due to their so called religious faith when in fact the vast majority of them have no religious faith at all.  If ,over time, support for clubs shifted to a geographic rather than a religious base Scottish football would be much stronger for it. I would love to see my hometown club of Carluke get a licence and be part of the Scottish Cup. The town has a population of 15,000 and based on that could in theory be a viable club in a higher league if the community got engaged and followed their local team. I’d say the goes for all juniors clubs. I doubt however it will ever happen...the pull of the Old firm is too strong.

Every centre of population can at the upper end hope for about 10% of its population to watch a team regularly. This is most likely with the bigger sides, or teams from large towns / small cities up the pyramid. The ones in L1/2 drop into the low single figures. Of course, it's highly theoretical as being from a single town or area is not a qualification to support a side. Pollok as an example - I'd love to see a breakdown of where people at a run of the mill league game have come from. They won't all be walking distance from Newlandsfield, quite literally far from it.

If a Junior side can get say 5% of its population to a game it has not only  done very well but it is an achieveable target with greater profile. Every team entering SPFL L2 has seen a notable increase in attendance. There are people that, for whatever reason, will not watch non-league games.

4 minutes ago, gogsy said:

I think next seasons total of Junior clubs could well be lowest number of Junior clubs in last 120 years , possibly even longer than  that ( exc war years) That puts things in a bit of perspective

Yet there are still many more junior clubs than "senior" non-league clubs.

28 minutes ago, Khufu2 said:

So in answer to my question, GU doesn't participate in the SFA system. The SFA giveth and the SFA taketh away.

Thanks, but you don't need to worry about GU. as they are licensed and will join the West League at tier 6, if when it is created.

2 minutes ago, Robert James said:

Thanks, but you don't need to worry about GU. as they are licensed and will join the West League at tier 6, if when it is created.

Do they have plans to strengthen their team?

4 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

It is pointless having any engagement with you.

It is however amusing to see every prediction you have made be way off the mark and every so called piece of inside info you have been completely wrong.

So you call your reply to me "an engagement". LOL!  It was a silly post and got the reply it deserved.

What predictions have I made and what inside information have I claimed? You are spouting utter bollox.

Edited by Khufu2