Jump to content
Burnie_man

Junior football, what is the future?

Recommended Posts

Kelty, Bonnyrigg and Bo'ness last played in the same division as Fauldhouse in 2016-17; Armadale in 2014-15; and Bathgate in 2011-12. But one of those three clubs might very well be in the SPFL before any of their former peers even reach tier 6. You wonder how long it will be before any of them are in the same division again - if ever.

Kelty only survived relegation from the Superleague in 2013-14 in a play-off with Dalkeith, too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I guess it's hitting home just what a mistake it was to be "loyal" to the SJFA. Broxburn and Penicuik last season, Tranent this season, Dundonald on telly (who very nearly decided against moving) and one from Bonnyrigg/Bo'ness playing at Dens Park.

Whitburn, Armadale, Fauldhouse and Bathgate all had the potential to emulate them. The first two are big clubs who, if run well, can get hundreds through the gate and compete at the top end of the Premier. Now they're miles behind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, yogisbairns said:

Other than Livi Utd, is their any other clubs looking to jump ship next season to the EoSL?

5 posts above - Tayport. This is also supposedly the last season of the Lothian Juniors.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, yogisbairns said:

Other than Livi Utd, is their any other clubs looking to jump ship next season to the EoSL?

Read the previous couple of pages - rumours are that it'll be everyone from West Lothian. Would only take one or two more and the rest will have to follow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Oh, to see the day when my beloved Downfield and the other Dundee junior teams are finally able to move on...

disappointed standing in the rain GIF

It'll happen sooner rather than later. That's the easy bit. What league they will play in is still a great big can of worms.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

It'll happen sooner rather than later. That's the easy bit. What league they will play in is still a great big can of worms.

Yeah, that's what I thought the prevailing reason why it hadn't happened yet was. In my perfect world where everyone did what I wanted them to do even if it wasn't the most practical thing, I'd probably have a nothern central/Grampian league primarily based around Tayside and Angus, and have that along with a North of Scotland Football League (made up of NCL and NJFA) as feeders to the Highland League.

Sadly, we don't live in that world, and I struggle to think of a good solution that won't piss somebody off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So long as the WOSFL eventually runs normally, then I imagine some of the juniors would be interested in moving upwards - if they can see progression without crippling costs involved. Guess that IF the clubs move up, then they'd have to accept longer travelling ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guess that IF the clubs move up, then they'd have to accept longer travelling ?

If Dalbeattie can handle the extra traveling I'm sure Clydebank and Kilwinning will be able to cope.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 31/12/2020 at 12:13, RossBFaeDundee said:

Oh, to see the day when my beloved Downfield and the other Dundee junior teams are finally able to move on...

disappointed standing in the rain GIF

Surely he's a Bathgate supporter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:


If Dalbeattie can handle the extra traveling I'm sure Clydebank and Kilwinning will be able to cope.

I was jumping on another post about the current East/North current junior clubs and the possibility of another league being set up to cater for that side of Scotland. Think all the West clubs will be happy to progress toward the spfl promised land ! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I was jumping on another post about the current East/North current junior clubs and the possibility of another league being set up to cater for that side of Scotland. Think all the West clubs will be happy to progress toward the spfl promised land ! 
Ah, got you now! Apologies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 29/12/2020 at 12:33, Burnieman said:

I guess it's hitting home just what a mistake it was to be "loyal" to the SJFA. Broxburn and Penicuik last season, Tranent this season, Dundonald on telly (who very nearly decided against moving) and one from Bonnyrigg/Bo'ness playing at Dens Park.

Whitburn, Armadale, Fauldhouse and Bathgate all had the potential to emulate them. The first two are big clubs who, if run well, can get hundreds through the gate and compete at the top end of the Premier. Now they're miles behind.

How much are Dundonald Bluebell expected to make from last week's televised match against Queens Park.

If its a lot then obviously it will make the rest of the junior teams sit up and take notice of the potential possibilities

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

How much are Dundonald Bluebell expected to make from last week's televised match against Queens Park.

If its a lot then obviously it will make the rest of the junior teams sit up and take notice of the potential possibilities

the early round tv money is £3-4k I believe 

Edited by parsforlife

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

How much are Dundonald Bluebell expected to make from last week's televised match against Queens Park.

If its a lot then obviously it will make the rest of the junior teams sit up and take notice of the potential possibilities

@Skyline Drifter is the poster to ask on this, but I believe it's around £12k in total. Nowhere near as much as it used to be, but not a insignificant amount.

Would be surprised if any teams are still left in the Junior Leagues by 2025.

Edited by ArabAuslander

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

@Skyline Drifter is the poster to ask on this, but I believe it's around £12k in total. Nowhere near as much as it used to be, but not a insignificant amount.

Would be surprised if any teams are still left in the Junior Leagues by 2025.

There wont be. Not sure it'll take that long to be honest. Can't speak for the Lothians teams but I don't think any of the Tayside teams are still junior because they feel any great attachment to the junior cause. As soon as a system is in place you'll get the same situation as happened in the west. A few will jump then everybody else will have to follow whether they want to or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, parsforlife said:

the early round tv money is £3-4k I believe 

The early BBC Scotland games I think are around that. Then when it gets shown on Premier(?) now or it's around the £30k mark. Once upon a time I think a TV game was meant to be £82.5k.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...