Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

The Lowland League essentially appear to have got Gordon Ronney to sign up to their initial plan whilst convincing him that it was his idea.
As I said back at the time. The Lowland League got everything they originally wanted, they didn't give an inch. The right to play in the SJC was not a compromise by the LL, it would be a gesture by the SJFA if the vote passes.

I think this was it was the only bargaining chip the wrjfa had to try and convince the teams who didn't want to move from the juniors instead of giving a league platform for those who didn't want to move 

That's debatable glensmad but it will be interesting to see how many clubs look at who enters the SCC and SJC next season and reach the same conclusion that Darvel and Cambuslang Rangers did. 

With very few credible possible winners from the east the SJC is not as strong competitively as the SCC, so are away trips to Coupar Angus, Stonehaven or New Elgin still worth the bother?

A minimum of four ex-juniors plus Bonnyton, Drumchapel and St Cadoc's is enough to get a WoS Alex Jack type competition going.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

That's debatable glensmad but it will be interesting to see how many clubs look at who enters the SCC and SJC next season and reach the same conclusion that Darvel and Cambuslang Rangers did. 

With very few credible possible winners from the east the SJC is not as strong competitively as the SCC, so are away trips to Coupar Angus, Stonehaven or New Elgin still worth the bother?

A minimum of four ex-juniors plus Bonnyton, Drumchapel, Glasgow Uni and St Cadoc's is enough to get a WoS Alex Jack type competition going.

They'll all be entering the SCC.

28 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Lowland League essentially appear to have got Gordon Ronney to sign up to their initial plan whilst convincing him that it was his idea.

Suppose the alternative for Ronney and the West Region would be to lose some clubs to a small WOSFL and eventually die a death like the east. He can at least say he kept everyone together and got clubs into the pyramid like they wanted - if the Junior Cup vote fails, he can blame the other two regions and/or the four clubs named above for leaving.

Also in today's Sunday Mail, we have TJ sycophant Gordon Parks. 🤢

"his excellence as a firefighting administrator isn't given the appreciation it merits" - if TJ was a firefighter he'd be the one ignoring the alarms at the fire station...

IMG_20200426_124358.jpg

That's an interesting article in the Sunday Mail. Needless to say if it's in there it needs to be taken with a mountain of salt but I could never understand why any of the west teams would want to continue playing in the SJC. You're either in or you're out. The SJC will continue regardless.

A minimum of four ex-juniors plus Bonnyton, Drumchapel and St Cadoc's is enough to get a WoS Alex Jack type competition going.
The 67 clubs will be entering a West of Scotland League Cup.

Just now, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm not actually.

You made it out to be a choice. They're all competing in the SCC. The question is how many will enter the Junior Cup.

I did not. Not for the first time you misread the post. The last paragraph made it clear the choice is SJC vs WoS Alex Jack type cup. Please stop wasting my time like this.

1 hour ago, Ginaro said:

Today's Sunday Mail quoting Clydebank, Kilwinning, Darvel, and Cambuslang saying they will not be retaining SJFA membership and playing in the Junior Cup next season. So that's 59 West clubs versus 62 in the East and North.

So that's no West clubs in the Junior Cup whenever its next played.  ;)

7 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

I did not. Not for the first time you misread the post. The last paragraph made it clear the choice is SJC vs WoS Alex Jack type cup. Please stop wasting my time like this.

Do you have any evidence for this?

9 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm not actually.

You made it out to be a choice. They're all competing in the SCC. The question is how many will enter the Junior Cup.

That is a question for the east and north teams to answer. It is not a decision for the west teams to take anymore.

19 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

Thanks will look through the pages of licensing stuff if I stay awake ! Admit the pyramid has worked well in England, most grounds have progressed slowly and within the clubs budgets, and are a vast improvement on the basic County LGE demands. Good luck to all in Scotland, some really good clubs and fans, from what I've seen.

The pyramid in Scotland had a difficult start. When the Lowland League was formed in 2013/14, only 12 clubs joined, none of whom were from the Junior leagues.  Since then it has gone from strength to strength, boosted significantly when Kelty Hearts left the junior ranks, and joined the 'seniors' in 2018/19. A mass exodus of East Region junior clubs followed the following season.

Promotion through the pyramid to the Lowland League, and to the SPFL, requires an SFA licence, This has led to significant improvements to the grounds of ambitious senior clubs. The SFA has moved the goalposts in relation to needing floodlights, which on 'reflection', has been a good move.  Club Licensing next season will be busy, especially for the ex-West Region junior clubs, who have now joined the new West of Scotland (pyramid) League, and are ambitious to progress, and also to enter the Scottish Cup.

Still to be resolved, is the pyramid below the Highland League, although discussions with the 'senior' North Caledonian League have been progressing well.  Not so well, apparently with the North Region Juniors.  If you want an update on the Highland pyramid developments, you can do so  via the "Expansion of the North Caledonian League Pie & Bovril"  forum.

Edited by Robert James

12 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

46 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Where is that clear? You find it interesting who will enter both SCC and SJC. You then compare the SJC to the SCC. You never once suggest its a choice between the SJC v." Alex Jack".