Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 minutes ago, Tutankhamen said:

Not in this year's South of Scotland Challenge cup ties there ain't.

Only SSC cup ties with any crowd are those with an ex Junior team playing. The West Juniors coming in will revolutionise this almost unknown cup competition.

Its your fault for asking a different question then. You went from a largely valid point around SCC games, to asking about attendances of clubs that aren't former juniors.

6 hours ago, Robert James said:

And yes, I have asked "extended questions" on occasions, if I am not well informed about a particular topic (a typical ex-graduate). Sometimes I receive very helpful replies (thank you), whilst at other times, I get criticised for daring to ask. 

How does one become an ex-graduate? Has your degree been annulled?

Problems will arise with the junior Cup, a can see it being played mostly midweek, as fixtures start to backlog with weather,as wosfl have already stated that league games take priority, imagine Cumnock away to Dyce, stoneyburn down to kello, on a weds night, your going to have wosfl, ejfa, Northern leagues all trying to align fixtures, it could become a shambles, then will the prize money be the same, sjfa won't have the same resources or pull with sponsorship for this tournament, I can see a large entry this season but it falling away quickly season after season as teams realise its losing its appeal

25 minutes ago, spit said:

Problems will arise with the junior Cup, a can see it being played mostly midweek, as fixtures start to backlog with weather,...

They can use the EoS's Alex Jack and Football Nation Qualifying cup dates at the start of the season and clear any backlog after league and promotion issues have been determined in May and early June. As long as rule changes are made by the SJFA so there are no replays it's feasible without any midweek trips on a rainy night to New Elgin.

What people should be arguing over is whether it's sensible to still participate when the SCC is also being played and will provide a higher calibre of competition rather than doing it indirectly with arguments that dream up misleading reasons for why it isn't possible.

Edited by LongTimeLurker

If league takes priority, any club in both the big Scottish and the Junior Cup is going to have a headache. Say Talbot for example, playing big Scottish on the date everyone else is playing Junior Cup, they won't be (unless league is very accommodating) be able to postpone a league game the following weekend as they can do now. Perhaps the sensible option is that it is only Junior Cup if no other cup commitments. Sour milk and off honey for some perhaps!

31 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

If league takes priority, any club in both the big Scottish and the Junior Cup is going to have a headache. Say Talbot for example, playing big Scottish on the date everyone else is playing Junior Cup, they won't be (unless league is very accommodating) be able to postpone a league game the following weekend as they can do now. Perhaps the sensible option is that it is only Junior Cup if no other cup commitments. Sour milk and off honey for some perhaps!

Also most of the senior cup competitions get their first couple of rounds drawn before the fixture lists are done. This allows for clubs with byes to be given league fixtures or for ties to be arranged for the same day across multiple cups.

The first couple of rounds for the SCC 2019-20 were drawn on May 31st 2019 for example. I don't think there will be a decision made on the Junior Cup by that point. Let alone scheduling of it as you've got the top leagues having fairly different fixture demands: WoSFL & Tayside = 32 games. North Super = 26 games and West Lothian = 24 games.

They can use the EoS's Alex Jack and Football Nation Qualifying cup dates at the start of the season and clear any backlog after league and promotion issues have been determined in May and early June.

It has been repeatedly stated on here that the WoS wants to create its own competition parallel to the Alex Jack cup to allow another opportunity for Scottish Cup entry for its non-licensed clubs.

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It has been repeatedly stated on here that the WoS wants to create its own competition parallel to the Alex Jack cup to allow another opportunity for Scottish Cup entry for its non-licensed clubs.

What some people need to bear in mind is that if the WoS is all about club driven decision making like the EoS then it's the former west region clubs who are going to be setting the agenda on what WoS does and doesn't do in the years ahead.

5 minutes ago, tell_me_more said:

The New WOS League any idea on what the composition of the leagues are likely to be?

Names out the hat? Seeded? Geographical?

You can rule out the first thing there. And regional is daft as well seeing as the clubs went to 'all in' two years ago.

Think it will mirror the EoS conferences (IMO).

9 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

You're really not helping yourself here, Robert. It's not a game of one-upmanship. I'm obviously not the only person who takes issue with your posting style. Perhaps a learning point here?

"Posting style".  "One-upmanship".

Oh dear !  It isn't me who has been on the attack here.

Let's leave it there.............please.   

1 hour ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What some people need to bear in mind is that if the WoS is all about club driven decision making like the EoS then it's the former west region clubs who are going to be setting the agenda on what WoS does and doesn't do in the years ahead.

I fear that's a rather big "if". Hopefully it won't be the case, but given those clubs' track record there's a fair chance they'll elect some initially plausible person or persons who they will then continue to support, out of misplaced loyalty, as his or their decision making worsens as the years pass by. Either that, or they'll be bullied into letting the "big" clubs organise the league for their own benefit. I do hope I'm wrong though.

Edited by Bad Wolf

12 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

I fear that's a rather big "if". Hopefully it won't be the case, but given those clubs' track record there's a fair chance they'll elect some initially plausible person or persons who they will then continue to support, out of misplaced loyalty, as his or their decision making worsens as the years pass by. Either that, or they'll be bullied into letting the "big" clubs organise the league for their own benefit. I do hope I'm wrong though.

The WR management committee has always been made up of a broad mix of teams. The last board had reps from Lok, Ants, Winton...

4 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

The West Region management wise was in flux anyway. Scott Robertson was needing replaced. Unfortunately, Franny McNeil has just passed and they were on the Management Committee according to the website. Then i'm not entirely sure John Fyfe, who has been the interim General Secretary and longstanding assistant, is still linked with a club?