Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

21 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

Can the comparing the Junior Cup to the Fife Cup be put to bed. Its basically a floodlit cup that gets randomly played during the week and often sees youth sides of clubs compete in it. The same is true of the Aberdeenshire Shield.

Qualifying Cup, kinda the Southern Counties Cup, fair enough.

image.png.2cf08a275d670b7b393044ca7d52bbc5.png

Just a wee bit about the Aberdeenshire shield....it's actually a fairly big deal to the clubs that play in it. Most games are played with full strength sides, only Aberdeen put in a youth side which generally gets papped oot fairly early, same as the Aberdeenshire cup. Fife cup is a reserve cup to all intents with the lower tier teams putting out a stronger side. 

Quick Google shows me that St Cadoc's play on a School 4G - I wonder if they'll be accepted? 

They've currently got an Under 17 side, so could a situation perhaps be that they field an U20s team in the Development League for a season, before fielding a Senior Side  in the following year.

https://www.facebook.com/StCadocs/

Guest Mick Kennedy
50 minutes ago, ArabAuslander said:

Quick Google shows me that St Cadoc's play on a School 4G - I wonder if they'll be accepted? 

They've currently got an Under 17 side, so could a situation perhaps be that they field an U20s team in the Development League for a season, before fielding a Senior Side  in the following year.

I believe they will ground share with another junior club.

No they will defo have a senior club, recruitment has started. 

Edited by Mick Kennedy

The Pyramid proponents wanted the West Region to join. They have, every one of them, not happy, some of the West Junior teams didn't really want to join. 
The SJFA cocked up the Juniors controlling from Tier 6 down.  The Juniors have bent over, the Lowland League got everything they wanted. (Did I mention we never actually wanted the Juniors to control from Tier 6 down because they are clueless). 
Gordon Ronney did nothing to get the Juniors to join the WOSFL even though there was previously stalemate. Gordon Ronney forced West Junior Clubs to join when they didn't want to. Which is it? 
Honestly, some of the nonsense posted on here. 
Personally, I am glad that all West Clubs have joined and thanks to LL and GR for making it happen. Clubs that want to progress can  Those that don't have the means or don't want to progress can continue to play against the same teams and a few new ones.
There will be a few benefits mentioned on here more than a few times. The significant benefits will impact a third of the teams at most. 
Did all teams go willingly, probably not, many went to ensure they still had other teams to play. But all teams have moved, they won't be left in a rump League that would surely dwindle within a few years.
I believe that GR was correct to encourage all West teams to move and that in a couple of years when things settle down will be for the betterment of the top third and little difference to the smaller teams. 

The thing is, though, and George Fraser mentioned this in his interview on the podcast - the LL want teams to be working towards getting a licence, and that's why they made it voluntary to join by application. They wanted willing clubs who are keen to improve and not just exist. That's what they have in the East.

The clubs who have joined in the West who perhaps feel they had no choice should not feel any ill-will towards the people who will initially be running the new league. Nobody from the LL/EoSFL/SoSFL put any pressure on anyone to apply. None whatsoever. The only pressure to apply came from elsewhere.

6 minutes ago, glensmad said:

...They wanted willing clubs who are keen to improve and not just exist. That's what they have in the East...

The EoS has its share of clubs that are going nowhere fast and joined because all their neighbours were doing so. Craigroyston almost folded this season, for example, and Arniston Rangers are definitely not in great shape when compared to Bonnyrigg and Penicuik. In the final analysis a pyramid system should include everybody and the clubs that have no ambition to improve and are in a constant struggle just to exist will wind up in the bottom tier. 

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

According to wikipedia, :

NEWTON MEARNS (St Cadocs) is an affluent town in East Renfrewshire, population 26,993 

GIFFNOCK  is also an affluent town in East Renfrewshire, population16,178

The distance between the 2 towns is quoted as being 2.8 miles.  Interesting.

22 minutes ago, Robert James said:

According to wikipedia, :

NEWTON MEARNS (St Cadocs) is an affluent town in East Renfrewshire, population 26,993 

GIFFNOCK  is also an affluent town in East Renfrewshire, population16,178

The distance between the 2 towns is quoted as being 2.8 miles.  Interesting.

Debatable.

45 minutes ago, glensmad said:

The thing is, though, and George Fraser mentioned this in his interview on the podcast - the LL want teams to be working towards getting a licence, and that's why they made it voluntary to join by application. They wanted willing clubs who are keen to improve and not just exist. That's what they have in the East.

I'm paraphrasing here. But during the interview I believe he was saying for some it might take 5-6 years to get licenced, for others it might never happen. It is just something to aim for and work towards.

When you consider the core criteria for grounds in licencing boils down to an enclosed ground, cover for a 100, food & drink on offer, toilets, accessible for those with disabilities and decent changing rooms. Its probably something that all clubs should aspire to if you're expecting fans to pay to get in.

1 hour ago, glensmad said:

The clubs who have joined in the West who perhaps feel they had no choice should not feel any ill-will towards the people who will initially be running the new league. Nobody from the LL/EoSFL/SoSFL put any pressure on anyone to apply. None whatsoever. The only pressure to apply came from elsewhere.

The key to all of this is to get the right people onto the WoS board, people who actually bought into the whole thing from the start, the Pyramid, Licencing, ongoing improvement and who will work positively with the other three leagues.  You don't want those who are merely wanting to hang onto a blazer and cling to the old days.

That's way more important than who's in what Conference.

57 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

The pyramid formation is for the best, but has anybody looked up to see what the upper tiers of it are like just now?

The future of the upper tiers rests entirely with Dundee. What could possibly go wrong?

10 minutes ago, BMan said:

The key to all of this is to get the right people onto the WoS board, people who actually bought into the whole thing from the start, the Pyramid, Licencing, ongoing improvement and who will work positively with the other three leagues.  You don't want those who are merely wanting to hang onto a blazer and cling to the old days.

That's way more important than who's in what Conference.

Pretty much. Especially as while there's no SJFA to worh through. There's going to be the mix of relationships that have to be maintained amongst the SLFL, EoSFL, SoSFL, SHFL and SFA. With shared competitions like the U20s league and SCC and getting on the Non-Professional Game Board plus who knows what else.

Didn't Rod Petrie say that there was room for 200 licensed members of the SFA. 

If my memory is right then that means not every club will obtain a licence. Mind you the last time the SFA received a bunch of applications they removed voting rights from tier 6 down so who knows what they will do next. 

4 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

Didn't Rod Petrie say that there was room for 200 licensed members of the SFA. 

If my memory is right then that means not every club will obtain a licence. Mind you the last time the SFA received a bunch of applications they removed voting rights from tier 6 down so who knows what they will do next. 

The 200 members has been in the rulebook for a very long time and predates licencing. The oldest online copy I can find is from 2014-15.

image.png.4390cf17cd3102093d93b9f034ef0c4d.png

Keep in mind that LTHV only became the 90th SFA member back in 2018, 200 seemed like an improbable level.

17 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

The 200 members has been in the rulebook for a very long time and predates licencing. The oldest online copy I can find is from 2014-15.

image.png.4390cf17cd3102093d93b9f034ef0c4d.png

Keep in mind that LTHV only became the 90th SFA member back in 2018, 200 seemed like an improbable level.

All rules can be changed. Especially if they serve no purpose.

On 11/04/2020 at 11:57, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I never got my Scottish Cup away days to Lochgilphead Red Star or Dinamo Millport :(

(I know Millport's team isn't called Dinamo)

Next time I'm through, I'm going up to the Ropework Park and just pretend Falkirk have a 4th round Scottish Cup match there.

We should be able to battle out a draw tbh.

4 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

I'm paraphrasing here. But during the interview I believe he was saying for some it might take 5-6 years to get licenced, for others it might never happen. It is just something to aim for and work towards.

When you consider the core criteria for grounds in licencing boils down to an enclosed ground, cover for a 100, food & drink on offer, toilets, accessible for those with disabilities and decent changing rooms. Its probably something that all clubs should aspire to if you're expecting fans to pay to get in.

Yeah totally agree with this and the thing is, there's no rush, the clubs can build and pick off little bits each seasons until they are ready to meet the criteria to be licensed.

I understand George in the interview wanted teams to all eventually be licensed but he know if every junior team joined the pyramid and if all amateur teams joined then that would never happen but at least the option is always there for any team to progress and in reality teams like, (picking names off the top of my head here so no disrespect intended ) Lugar, Thorniewood, Ardeer, Newmains etc.. don't need to do anything to get licensed, they can stay at the level they want but if something happens, new committee with different vision, a sugar daddy comes in , anything, it means the option is always there to change directing and progress instead of just getting by