Burnie_man

Junior football, what is the future?

15 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Thank f*ck for that !

Hat eating is not my speciality 😂

Go on, it'll be something different for your isolation diet. 

18 hours ago, honestman54 said:

My red dot was due to what I regarded as a negative comment to the correct comment ive copied above.

Ah well that’s  fair enough I suppose. Shame you’ve not been as keen to do the same with the poster who’s only reason for being here is to annoy good contributors and spoil the thread.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Jane.jpg.f3e23e292b517665f4e04d3dc51f4e59.jpg

Enjoy the WOSL, I hope it makes you happy. Dear lord, what a sad little life, Burnieman. You ruined the grade completely so you could have everyone together and I hope now you can spend your time in the seniors getting lessons in grace and decorum. Because you have all the grace of a reversing dump truck without any tyres on.

So Burnieman, take your clubs and get off my Junior forum.

😂😂😂

5 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:
18 hours ago, honestman54 said:

My red dot was due to what I regarded as a negative comment to the correct comment ive copied above.

Ah well that’s  fair enough I suppose. Shame you’ve not been as keen to do the same with the poster who’s only reason for being here is to annoy good contributors and spoil the thread.

Lets all undertake not to red dot anyone/anything - at least until the virus madness is over.  

Erm,...Aye OK...we need an answer for the artist formerly known as Burnie_Man do we ?...
OK, I'll do it...Shoosh lads, let me speak,...Yes, initially we were sceptical but when it became obvious that you weren't going to shut the f**k up we decided just to keep you rambling on & on & on for several years until we were ready to loup straight in...this virus thing seems to have kyboshed the plan for a wee while but hopefully we'll all still be here and ready to rock after it clears up...and we will then proceed to whup some ass.
Just promise us that when your team is getting hammered by your new overlords at Lugar Boswell Thistle that you'll just gracefully bow down to the inevitable and not start a new campaign to restructure Scottish fitba ever again. Promise now. Scouts honour ?
P.S. Also hope that you are safe & healthy too.
Now...close the thread and wash your hands of it. Your evil work here is done.
What a chug

5 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

Lets all undertake not to red dot anyone/anything - at least until the virus madness is over.  

Green dotted this just to take you to the ton! 

The current list of 53 clubs that propose to join the WoSFL:

1. Lugar Boswell Thistle (SJFA West League Two)

2. Clydebank (SJFA West Region Premiership)

3. Kilwinning Rangers (SJFA West Region Premiership)

4. Rutherglen Glencairn (SJFA West Region Premiership)

5. Bellshill Athletic (SJFA West League One)

6. Drumchapel United (Central Scottish Amateur Premier Division)

7. Neilston Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

8. Maryhill (SJFA West League One)

9. Kello Rovers (SJFA West League One)

10. Blantyre Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

11. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (SJFA West Region Premiership)

12. Vale of Clyde (SJFA West League Two)

13. Renfrew (SJFA West Region Championship)

14. Royal Albert (SJFA West League One)

15. Arthurlie (SJFA West Region Championship)

16. Newmains United (SJFA West League Two)

17. Kilsyth Rangers (SJFA West Region Championship)

18. Whitletts Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

19. Gartcairn Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

20. Cambuslang Rangers  (SJFA West Region Championship)

21. Cumbernauld United (SJFA West Region Championship)

22. Glasgow Perthshire (SJFA West League One)

23. Ashfield (SJFA West League Two)

24. Petershill (SJFA West Region Championship)

25. Greenock Juniors (SJFA West League One)

26. Larkhall Thistle (SJFA West League One)

27. Port Glasgow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

28. Pollok (SJFA West Region Premiership)

29. Darvel Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

30. Vale of Leven (SJFA West League Two)

31. Glenafton Athletic (SJFA West Region Premiership)

32. Johnstone Burgh (SJFA West League Two)

33. Auchinleck Talbot (SJFA West Region Premiership)

34. Largs Thistle (SJFA West Region Premiership)

35. Kilbirnie Ladeside (SJFA West Region Premiership)

36. Troon (SJFA West Region Premiership)

37. Irvine Meadow XI (SJFA West Region Premiership)

38. Beith Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership) 

39. Shotts Bon Accord (SJFA West Region Championship)

40.  Forth Wanderers (SJFA West League Two)

41. Muirkirk Juniors (SJFA West League Two)

42. Benburb (SJFA West Region Premiership)  

43. Shettleston (SJFA West League One)

44. Irvine Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

45. Dalry Thistle (SJFA West Region Championship)

46. Cumnock Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership)

47. Girvan (SJFA West League One)

48. Wishaw Juniors (SJFA West League One)

49. Rossvale (SJFA West Region Premiership)

50. East Kilbride Thistle (SJFA West League One)

51. St Anthony's (SJFA West League Two)

52. St Roch's (SJFA West Region Championship)

53. Lanark United (SJFA West League One)

The following 11 WRJFA clubs have yet to make a public declaration to join the WoSFL:

SJFA West Region Premiership (1 club)
- Hurlford United

SJFA West Region Championship (1 club)
- Craigmark Burntonians

SJFA West Region League One (3 clubs)
- Ardrossan Winton Rovers
- Carluke Rovers
- Lesmahagow

SJFA West Region League Two (6 clubs)
- Annbank United
- Ardeer Thistle
- Maybole Juniors
- Saltcoats Victoria
- Thorniewood United
- Yoker Athletic

In addition confirmation is awaited from the following 2 clubs:

- Glasgow University (Caledonian League Premier Division)
- Bonnyton Thistle (South of Scotland League)

A constitution of 66 clubs divided into 4 conferences is now awaited with anticipation.

Edited by Pyramidic

10 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

https://jamiesjournalsmusings.wordpress.com/2020/04/03/ambition-and-uncertainty-in-the-juniors-as-clubs-prepare-to-jump-ship/

Some of the quotes from Gordon Ronney:

He said: “The Scottish Junior Cup is 134 years in existence.

“There have to be constitutional changes to allow it to fit into the fixture congestion and I believe those constitutional changes will take effect.

“It is still to be established whether clubs will compete in the South Challenge Cup or the Junior Cup… but I believe the vast majority of clubs will choose the Junior Cup because it’s a more lucrative cup, the prize money is substantial and it obviously carries a senior Scottish cup place.

“It’s loss its gloss a wee bit because of the East junior teams who left. I am of the opinion that it will go back to its original form.”

Time too move on ffs the Juniors are no more.  Sjfa trying to cling on to anything it's embarrassing...money grabbing arsehole. That cup died of any relevance when half the clubs left. Time to moth ball it and place it in a museum where it belongs.

I think the hope from (some) in the Juniors is they can keep a decent sponsorship in place and entice former Junior clubs, and clubs who were never Junior, into gaining membership to get a shot at the cup and the money that goes along with it. Obviously the perceived history and prestige of the cup will play into those thoughts. There doesn't need to be a national non-league cup but, if there is to be one, there's no reason the Junior Cup can't slot into that position. It's up to the clubs to decide if that's the route they want to go down. If it doesn't catch on soon then the Junior Cup will just die a death and a new cup will created to fill that role.

13 hours ago, Hossy87 said:

If we don't draw Maryhill in a conference we can sort out a preseason game maybe.

Good idea! Assuming we get a proper pre-season this year, that is!

18 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Is big Rangers man 8MileBU adding anything of note to this thread other than crying about coloured circles?

I have him on my Ignore List so only see quoted posts when someone replies to him.

Far more of note than your incessant  spam, albeit a lot less in recent weeks due to being a key worker during a pandemic, whilst you sit in your bedroom making your wee list of nasty big boys that upset you. Don’t you worry about them though. In about 10 years you’ll be a big enough boy to just scroll past their posts. 

24 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Good idea! Assuming we get a proper pre-season this year, that is!

Doubt there’ll be anything that resembles a pre-season. In the current status of everything being cancelled, pre-season for 20/21 will likely be a couple of lung buster sessions and a clusterfuck of games to finish off this season. 

Edited by 8MileBU

7 minutes ago, 8MileBU said:

Doubt there’ll be anything that resembles a pre-season. In the current status of everything being cancelled, pre-season for 20/21 will likely be a couple of lung buster sessions and a clusterfuck of games to finish off this season. 

I suspect they'll try to complete this year's Junior Cup, which after all was very near completion.

Certainly (at least in the West) there's zero need to finish off the league campaigns though as almost everybody's moving on and promotion/relegation from the old setup is irrelevant to the conference system that'll be in place the first year.

1 minute ago, morley said:

Yet he shows no recognition at all, probably not aware, of the massive changes going on in the lower non leagues of the pyramid and now with the WoS league joining the pyramid, and fails to recognise as pointed out on here that the Premier colt teams do not bring big crowds at all in the Tunnocks cup.

I think there is a (very small) rise in crowds for smaller part time teams when they play the Old Firm Colts in the Challenge Cup. Almost certainly caused by Rangers/Celtic fans in towns like Stranraer or Cowdenbeath using it as a chance to see their big team's wee team but that minor increase is negligible and I doubt very much would last if they were playing in a league as opposed to the one off novelty of a cup match.

Long term it will do so much more damage to those clubs to be viewed as "equals" of other clubs reserves.

4 minutes ago, morley said:

I see an article by Gordon Smith in the Herald today once again bringing up this stupid suggestion of reserve teams being added to the SFL and regional top leagues. Paints a picture how these premier reserve teams will save the part time lower SFL teams by brining big crowds, and calls out the tunnocks Cup as an example of this. Yet he shows no recognition at all, probably not aware, of the massive changes going on in the lower non leagues of the pyramid and now with the WoS league joining the pyramid, and fails to recognise as pointed out on here that the Premier colt teams do not bring big crowds at all in the Tunnocks cup. What a load of rubbish which has been thrown out by every league every time it comes up. May it say it will be new senior clubs getting promotion from through the pyramid into the spfl which will revitalise the lower league game in Scotland, and not B teams of Premier sides. Get the idea thrown out and hope the top leagues don't entertain this stupid idea in a knee jerk reaction due to the covid19 crisis. 

The point about the crowd sizes is demonstrably untrue anyway, as shown by Celtic and Rangers B games barely cracking a couple of hundred. It's not an exaggeration to say that Bonnyrigg or Talbot, for example, would bring more financial benefit by way of crowd sizes than any of the B teams.

I think the hope from (some) in the Juniors is they can keep a decent sponsorship in place and entice former Junior clubs, and clubs who were never Junior, into gaining membership to get a shot at the cup and the money that goes along with it. Obviously the perceived history and prestige of the cup will play into those thoughts. There doesn't need to be a national non-league cup but, if there is to be one, there's no reason the Junior Cup can't slot into that position. It's up to the clubs to decide if that's the route they want to go down. If it doesn't catch on soon then the Junior Cup will just die a death and a new cup will created to fill that role.
There already is a cup for every team in the lowland area, it's called the south challenge cup. It includes every club in the lowland area from tier 5 down the way.

The wosfl teams will also partake in this cup, making it the cup you speak of.

The junior cup is an 'opt in' cup and I dont foresee any previous junior clubs wishing to pay into an association where the only thing they get is access to a type of cup they already have access to for free with the eos or LL.

Most former junior clubs in the east have moved beyond the junior cup, they are licensed now and the senior scottish is providing them what the junior cup used to, along with all the other benefits for being licensed.

The west (clubs and office bearers) have to accept that the junior cup now sits in a position below the LL, eosfl, wosfl sos and most likely the south challenge cup. It was stated that wos league games will take precedence over junior cup games, I would also expect that the LL/eos/sos will want their own cup(s) to take precedence over over another associations cup, given that association sits outwith the pyramid.

I think there is a (very small) rise in crowds for smaller part time teams when they play the Old Firm Colts in the Challenge Cup. Almost certainly caused by Rangers/Celtic fans in towns like Stranraer or Cowdenbeath using it as a chance to see their big team's wee team but that minor increase is negligible and I doubt very much would last if they were playing in a league as opposed to the one off novelty of a cup match.

Long term it will do so much more damage to those clubs to be viewed as "equals" of other clubs reserves.

Tiny increases in crowds offset by substantial increase in stewarding/policing costs.

8 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

There already is a cup for every team in the lowland area, it's called the south challenge cup. It includes every club in the lowland area from tier 5 down the way.

The wosfl teams will also partake in this cup, making it the cup you speak of.

It's not a national cup so it's not the cup I speak of.

I see an article by Gordon Smith in the Herald today once again bringing up this stupid suggestion of reserve teams being added to the SFL and regional top leagues. Paints a picture how these premier reserve teams will save the part time lower SFL teams by brining big crowds, and calls out the tunnocks Cup as an example of this. Yet he shows no recognition at all, probably not aware, of the massive changes going on in the lower non leagues of the pyramid and now with the WoS league joining the pyramid, and fails to recognise as pointed out on here that the Premier colt teams do not bring big crowds at all in the Tunnocks cup. What a load of rubbish which has been thrown out by every league every time it comes up. May it say it will be new senior clubs getting promotion from through the pyramid into the spfl which will revitalise the lower league game in Scotland, and not B teams of Premier sides. Get the idea thrown out and hope the top leagues don't entertain this stupid idea in a knee jerk reaction due to the covid19 crisis. 
Article for those curious

https://www.heraldscotland.com/sport/18357931.spfl-urged-introduce-premiership-reserve-teams-regionalised-lower-leagues-radical-shake-up/

WHEN Gordon Smith first floated his revolutionary plan to regionalise the lower leagues and incorporate top flight reserve sides into the new-look structure during his time as SFA chief executive he was disappointed by the response.

“I went to David Longmuir at the SFL with my idea in 2009 and he put it to his member clubs,” he said. “It was rejected. David said the reason they gave was they felt the B teams would get all the publicity. I just laughed at that. I said: ‘What publicity are they getting in those divisions at the moment?’ But I didn’t make a big fuss.”

Smith still thinks, over a decade on, that change is desperately required. In fact, he believes it is more important now, when many Ladbrokes Premiership, Championship, League One and League Two outfits are facing uncertain futures due to the coronavirus pandemic and shutdown, than ever before. He is convinced it will have myriad benefits for a game facing a financial crisis.

Crucially, he knows for a fact that influential figures at many of Scotland’s biggest clubs, who have seen the members of their under-20 teams benefit from their involvement in the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup in the last few years, are of exactly the same opinion.

The suspension of the game in this country and the prospect of Hearts being relegated before the 2019/20 campaign has been completed, have increased the possibility of the current 12-10-10-10 set-up, which has been in place for the last 20 years, being abandoned.

Smith, the former Kilmarnock, Rangers, Brighton, Manchester City and Basel forward and Ibrox director of football, presents a compelling argument for his radical league reconstruction blueprint.

He envisages that part-time outfits like Annan, Elgin City, Peterhead, Queen of the South and Stirling Albion would be able to cut down on the considerable costs they incur travelling the length and breadth of the country to fulfil fixtures between August and May being part of League One North and League One South.

At the same time, he is confident they could significantly increase their attendances and revenue by playing a greater number of local derbies as well as matches against opponents like Aberdeen, Hibernian and St Johnstone.

The former agent is also of the view that the most promising players at Dumbarton, Greenock Morton, Stranraer and Raith Rovers would improve their chances of winning money-spinning moves to their professional rivals by performing well.

“The reasons for it are two fold,” said Smith. “You will have teams playing each other who are nearer each other so that means less cost and probably more derby matches as well.

“But having the reserve teams of the Premiership clubs also invigorates it. That means you get bigger crowds then and you make more money. It would be a big boost for Annan to be playing against a Celtic or a Kilmarnock. Their expenses go down, but their income would increase. You play at their stadiums.

“There is another aspect to it as well. The smaller clubs’ players would be getting tested against top class opposition - which would mean that more of their players are putting themselves in the shop window to be transferred. Premiership teams would be able to see they could play against their players.”

The difficulty that many promising kids at Premiership clubs encounter making the step up into senior football has long been a concern for those charged with their development. Could this be a solution? Smith is adamant it would be.

He feels that Celtic, Hearts, Livingston and Rangers would be able to bring on their youngsters greatly by giving them regular competitive football on a Saturday afternoon in front of sizeable attendances instead of making them play insipid youth matches involving only their contemporaries in lifeless empty stadiums.

“Younger players at the Premiership clubs would also be getting tested against a better standard of opponent and would come on as a result of that as well,” said Smith.

“We have seen a move towards this with the colts teams playing in the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup. But my idea isn’t for colts teams to go into regionalised leagues it is for reserve teams. I am in favour of boys playing alongside men and against men. That brings them on better, you can tell who is going to make it better.

“They would be playing in front of crowds, not big crowds admittedly, but bigger crowds than they are playing in front of at the moment. They will also be playing on a Saturday. At the moment they are playing on Tuesday mornings and Thursday afternoons and that sort of thing. It would be better for them all round.”

Reserve teams have long been able to compete in the lower tiers of major footballing nations like France, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, Portugal and Spain. But the likes of Atletico Madrid B, Bayern Munich II, Benfica B, Jong Ajax, Juventus U-23, Monaco B and Real Madrid Castilla are not allowed to join their first teams in the top division. That is exactly the model Smith favours.

“They Premiership clubs don’t win promotion if they top the league,” he said. “They could discount the games against the reserve teams at the end of the season and the team that has the most points goes up.”

The SPFL board are set to meet on Monday to discuss how to move forward with the 2019/20 season. Whether to declare Celtic champions and relegate Hearts based on the Premiership placings on March 13 or try to complete the final fixtures at a later date will be the pressing issues. But expanding the top flight and altering the lower leagues has been mooted in some quarters.

Endorsing the proposals put forward by Smith would be quite a departure in Scotland, where we are not exactly renowned for being trailblazers or visionaries, but he senses there is a growing appetite for change in the academies, on the training pitches and in the boardrooms at many Premiership clubs.

“Anybody I have talked to about this in the higher leagues all think it’s a good idea,” he said. “I have spoken to people at Kilmarnock, St Johnstone. They think the lower league clubs would be better off if it is regional and if top flight clubs were involved. They also know their youngsters would come on. They all think we should be doing it.”

31 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

image.png.e25e3a7539aa8cccfb41455c37858784.png