Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

Positive article from The Gazette:

Jamie McKim urges Junior clubs to stick together in West of Scotland move

JOHNSTONE Burgh manager Jamie McKim believes the club’s decision to apply to join the West of Scotland Football League is “forward thinking” and “progressive.”

The Keanie Park outfit announced last week that it was to apply for a place in the new ‘Tier 6’ of the Scottish football pyramid, which gives Junior clubs the chance to work their way up the leagues.

This wasn’t previously possible and follows a similar move by ex-Junior clubs from the east of Scotland, including Sauchie Juniors, in 2018.

Nearly 50 clubs from the West of Scotland Juniors had already announced their intention to apply for a place in the new league before last night’s deadline.

McKim said: “I was of the opinion – and we all were, as a club – that Junior clubs should stick together whatever they do and I think that’s what looks like happening.
“The vast majority of clubs have expressed their interest one way or another.
“It’s progressive and forward thinking and that’s the type of club we are trying to be, so hopefully it’s a good thing for us going forward.

“If the Junior sides break into two then it maybe becomes a poorer product for supporters to come and watch. The fact that most of the Junior clubs are staying together is a big strong point for me.”

Meanwhile, club treasurer Brian Williams has released a statement in a bid to ease fans’ worries regarding the club’s finances during the shutdown.

The Scottish FA have ruled that no games should take place at any level due to the Covid-19 outbreak, with clubs across the country being hit hard as they have no income from gate receipts.

Williams said: “I would like to reassure the supporters who are worried about the finances of the club.

“The Burgh are not in any financial danger at this moment in time, although that could change depending on how long we are closed down.

“We are hoping the season will continue at some point and the team can continue their good form.

“Finances will be stretched and I will keep you all updated.”

The full statement is available on Johnstone Burgh’s social media channels.

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/18364111.jamie-mckim-urges-junior-clubs-stick-together-west-scotland-move/

Taking Jamie McKim's point (highlighted in bold) a stage further, the inability of the West Lothian clubs to work with the EoSFL has undoubtedly created a weaker product in the East of Scotland.

Edited by Pyramidic

1 minute ago, edinabear said:

Does that mean that these boys clubs have to set up an adult team overnight? 

I'd guess they would use the players in their oldest age groups to be the base of a squad and get a handful of older players to give them some experience in there from either amateur players looking to pop up a level or ex junior/lower end senior players without a club. That seemed to be the basis of Gartcairn, BSC, etc.'s first seasons

19 minutes ago, Lowland team said:

Most probably!!!!!.but was also told their grounds are both non compliant as they would not meet the criteria 66 clubs will form the wosfl.

Correct as things stand - however, only one of them is a full youth setup, and still has a good shot at acceptance IMO.

Just out of interest - has anyone seen any official response from  SJFA to the fact one of their regions, to all intents and purposes,  no longer exists?

Their last activity on twitter, was on March 17, to announce the Junior Cup semi-final draw.

Since then, nothing of any note in junior football appears to have occurred worth making a comment upon.

Edited by Ian38018

3 minutes ago, Ian38018 said:

Just out of interest - has anyone seen any official response from  SJFA to the fact one of their regions, to all intents and purposes,  no longer exists?

Their last activity on twitter, was on March 17, to announce the Junior Cup semi-final draw.

Since then, nothing of any note appears to have occurred worth a comment.

I was gonna say they'll probably end up posting their fixtures for the season anyway in blind denial

Then remembered they don't do fixture lists.

1 hour ago, ArabAuslander said:

Based off what I've read, I'm gonna guess that the clubs will be:

Giffnock SC - had a quick google maps, have a good wee ground.

Strathclyde Uni - Might want to join their local rivals. Also have the means to do up their ground if needed.

Think Strathclyde Uni had/have a groundshare of some sort with Renfrew. If so this would mean the ground is OK.

Anyone know more about this?

25 minutes ago, Dev said:

Think Strathclyde Uni had/have a groundshare of some sort with Renfrew. If so this would mean the ground is OK.

Anyone know more about this?

Strathclyde Uni have always played out of their stepps fields have they not?

https://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/18364111.jamie-mckim-urges-junior-clubs-stick-together-west-scotland-move/

Taking Jamie McKim's point (highlighted in bold) a stage further, the inability of the West Lothian clubs to work with the EoSFL has undoubtedly created a weaker product in the East of Scotland.

I'm not sure the EoS is weaker as a result of the remaining WL clubs not joining. One WL EoS club has beat Cowdenbeath this season and played St.Mirren. Another was live on telly v Falkirk.