Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

Why would you display that stuff on this thread? Re showing it gives such attitudes an airing which they don't deserve. I know you're bored but come on.

Some of that stuff needs to be seen to be believed. I'm also a big proponent of publicly shaming people that have batshit crazy racist beliefs. 

Edited by ArabAuslander

10 hours ago, Robert James said:

So in trying to guess the 2 extra Amateur applicant, those mentioned on here as possibilities, are :

Oban Saints

Strathclyde University

Giffnock SC

Strathaven Dynamos

Or, can we rule out  recent SFA Amateur Cup Winners like : :

Colville Park

Harestanes

Hurlford Thistle

Shortlees

As I have no knowledge of these clubs, or their grounds, I have no idea, and can't even speculate. 

Interesting none the less.

Aren't Colville Park in abeyance /defunct ?

7 hours ago, Robert James said:

Yes, "changed days"............perhaps ?

Rod Houston's article a year or so ago, has certainly moved on in relation to the North Caley League, and the pyramid.

However, silence has once again descended over the NRJFA.  Perhaps there is  still "no appetite" for the pyramid from the north juniors. Does anyone have any up to date information about them ?

Meanwhile, the SFA should confirm the inclusion of the NCL into the pyramid, for 2020/21, as reported in the current press articles.   

Well at least if the NCL sign up ,it's progress .

Baby steps.

Loving a post that lists clubs and then says "as I have no knowledge of these clubs, or their grounds, I have no idea, and can't even speculate."

Having done just that!

Anyway...

Viewfield Rovers I think might have not seen out the (non)season but they have their own ground and are a club that have played in Senior competition before (Renfrewshire Cup). A WoSL could rejuvenate them.

The lack of ground issue is going to plague most amateur teams. Playing at a 3g hasn't stopped a few teams but there has to be facilities beyond that i.e. changing rooms etc. And a significant number play on public parks.

Harmony Row are a youth club with their own ground. Ants, Bens and Renfrew territory though.

33 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Aren't Colville Park in abeyance /defunct ?

They quit midway through last year after losing their manager and the majority of their players, but I believe there are plans for them to return  this season. 

The Central Scottish is probably the strongest amateur league in the area, but there always seems to be a bit of flux in their membership, as some teams appear seemingly from nowhere and do really well under one manager and a group of players then just disappear off the radar.

I'm generalising, but while maybe seen as a slightly lower standard, the Caledonian tends to be longer-standing teams who more often than not have tenancy somewhere.

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

They quit midway through last year after losing their manager and the majority of their players, but I believe there are plans for them to return  this season. 

The Central Scottish is probably the strongest amateur league in the area, but there always seems to be a bit of flux in their membership, as some teams appear seemingly from nowhere and do really well under one manager and a group of players then just disappear off the radar.

I'm generalising, but while maybe seen as a slightly lower standard, the Caledonian tends to be longer-standing teams who more often than not have tenancy somewhere.

And therein is the issue with amateur teams. They are not always a club. They are sometimes just teams. No tangible identity such as a ground with club buildings. How many non-league teams permanently fall by the wayside in this day and age? It happens but it is rare. Amateur sides can rise from nowhere and fall into history so quickly. So often it is a manager or groups of players that drive it and when one or other group dissipate, the team cannot continue.

Obviously there are amateur sides with a bit of staying power but the fly by nights are pretty common too.

6 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Amateur sides can rise from nowhere and fall into history so quickly. So often it is a manager or groups of players that drive it and when one or other group dissipate, the team cannot continue.

This was another stick to beat the lowland league with from junior supporters when BSC, Cumbernauld Colts, EKFC and EduSport came along (although never used against Rossvale or Gartcairn). I think a lot of folk have been surprised at how well they've done to remain competitive coming into the senior game as new clubs with no fans. Being part of the pyramid will help these clubs find stability and income perhaps missing from the amateur game.

But, sticking to my plan of using this thread to pressurise teams who play in places I would regard as a good away day to join the pyramid, I would expect Dunoon and Lochgilphead Red Star to be the two amateur teams joining the WoSFL ;)

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

14 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

This was another stick to beat the lowland league with from junior supporters when BSC, Cumbernauld Colts, EKFC and EduSport came along (although never used against Rossvale or Gartcairn). I think a lot of folk have been surprised at how well they've done to remain competitive coming into the senior game as new clubs with no fans. Being part of the pyramid will help these clubs find stability and income perhaps missing from the amateur game.

But, sticking to my plan of using this thread to pressurise teams who play in places I would regard as a good away day to join the pyramid, I would expect Dunoon and Lochgilphead Red Star to be the two amateur teams joining the WoSFL ;)

Fact is the stick hits true in the amateur game, especially in the central belt and in cities where there is no local identity to the team. Red Star have been on the go for decades and there always seems to be a good production line of players who want to play for them. The youth side makes a big difference too as you have kids from the age of 5 and up playing for them. 

In times of trouble, as long as a club has a base, there's always hope of continuation. But when it's just a nebulous idea, very difficult. Colville losing their spot at the country club was a blow. Losing their manager to Darvel another one. Southside had a wee spell of success in the west area playing out of the Palace of Art 3g at Bellahouston but they have gone now too.

23 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

would expect Dunoon and Lochgilphead Red Star to be the two amateur teams joining the WoSFL ;)

Hope you are correct.  Always seemed to be a well run club. One of my nephews played for them years ago.

His grandfather also played for Campeltown many years ago, including the season they got the furthest they ever got in the Scottish Junior Cup. 

10 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

In times of trouble, as long as a club has a base, there's always hope of continuation. But when it's just a nebulous idea, very difficult. Colville losing their spot at the country club was a blow. Losing their manager to Darvel another one. Southside had a wee spell of success in the west area playing out of the Palace of Art 3g at Bellahouston but they have gone now too.

No arguments with any of that at all. I would just presume being in the pyramid system, as opposed to a stand alone amateur league, would offer greater stability for these teams and they would be able to find a place in that system that suits them long term.

Having said that if a club is finding it difficult to continue as they are then a hail mary shot at joining the semi-pro ranks might not be the best idea for them.

The Scottish Lowland League have confirmed that 68 applications have been received from clubs wishing to join the West of Scotland Football League (WoSFL). In their latest Pyramid Statement they provide details of the next steps that will be followed.

The current list of 64 clubs that have confirmed that they have applied to join the WoSFL are detailed below:

1. Lugar Boswell Thistle (SJFA West League Two)

2. Clydebank (SJFA West Region Premiership)

3. Kilwinning Rangers (SJFA West Region Premiership)

4. Rutherglen Glencairn (SJFA West Region Premiership)

5. Bellshill Athletic (SJFA West League One)

6. Drumchapel United (Central Scottish Amateur Premier Division)

7. Neilston Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

8. Maryhill (SJFA West League One)

9. Kello Rovers (SJFA West League One)

10. Blantyre Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

11. Kirkintilloch Rob Roy (SJFA West Region Premiership)

12. Vale of Clyde (SJFA West League Two)

13. Renfrew (SJFA West Region Championship)

14. Royal Albert (SJFA West League One)

15. Arthurlie (SJFA West Region Championship)

16. Newmains United (SJFA West League Two)

17. Kilsyth Rangers (SJFA West Region Championship)

18. Whitletts Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

19. Gartcairn Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

20. Cambuslang Rangers  (SJFA West Region Championship)

21. Cumbernauld United (SJFA West Region Championship)

22. Glasgow Perthshire (SJFA West League One)

23. Ashfield (SJFA West League Two)

24. Petershill (SJFA West Region Championship)

25. Greenock Juniors (SJFA West League One)

26. Larkhall Thistle (SJFA West League One)

27. Port Glasgow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

28. Pollok (SJFA West Region Premiership)

29. Darvel Juniors (SJFA West Region Championship)

30. Vale of Leven (SJFA West League Two)

31. Glenafton Athletic (SJFA West Region Premiership)

32. Johnstone Burgh (SJFA West League Two)

33. Auchinleck Talbot (SJFA West Region Premiership)

34. Largs Thistle (SJFA West Region Premiership)

35. Kilbirnie Ladeside (SJFA West Region Premiership)

36. Troon (SJFA West Region Premiership)

37. Irvine Meadow XI (SJFA West Region Premiership)

38. Beith Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership) 

39. Shotts Bon Accord (SJFA West Region Championship)

40.  Forth Wanderers (SJFA West League Two)

41. Muirkirk Juniors (SJFA West League Two)

42. Benburb (SJFA West Region Premiership)  

43. Shettleston (SJFA West League One)

44. Irvine Victoria (SJFA West Region Championship)

45. Dalry Thistle (SJFA West Region Championship)

46. Cumnock Juniors (SJFA West Region Premiership)

47. Girvan (SJFA West League One)

48. Wishaw Juniors (SJFA West League One)

49. Rossvale (SJFA West Region Premiership)

50. East Kilbride Thistle (SJFA West League One)

51. St Anthony's (SJFA West League Two)

52. St Roch's (SJFA West Region Championship)

53. Lanark United (SJFA West League One)

54. Hurlford United (SJFA West Region Premiership)

55. Craigmark Burntonians (SJFA West Region Championship)

56. Lesmahagow Juniors (SJFA West League One)

57. Carluke Rovers (SJFA West League One)

58. Glasgow University (Caledonian League Premier Division)

59. Bonnyton Thistle (South of Scotland League)

60. Ardrossan Winton Rovers (SJFA West League One)

61. Ardeer Thistle (SJFA West League Two)

62. Yoker Athletic (SJFA West League Two)

63. Thorniewood United (SJFA West League Two)

64. Annbank United (SJFA West League Two)

The following 2 WRJFA clubs have yet to make a public declaration to join the WoSFL:

SJFA West Region League Two (2 clubs)
- Maybole Juniors
- Saltcoats Victoria

In addition it is understood that there two Youth clubs that have also applied. Details of these clubs are currently unknown.

A constitution of up to 68 clubs divided into 4 conferences is anticipated.

THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS HAS CLOSED.

Edited by Pyramidic

11 minutes ago, paul wright scores said:

Hope you are correct.  Always seemed to be a well run club. One of my nephews played for them years ago.

His grandfather also played for Campeltown many years ago, including the season they got the furthest they ever got in the Scottish Junior Cup. 

Ain't happening!