Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

8 minutes ago, Cameron Wilson said:

You missed Edinburgh City. Demographics isn't my strong point but I would have thought Ross County and Inverness benefited from being the only SPFL clubs in a big catchment area and therefore less competition for attracting the best players in the area.

It's a reflection on the voting strategies of the league clubs whenever vacancies appeared. For many years, Aberdeen were the most northerly club. Any HFL teams applying for vacancies weren't elected for whatever reason (I'd assume central belt clubs not being keen on travel). This meant the HFL was by far the strongest of the senior leagues outwith the SFL/SPL and eventually it became untenable that no Highland team was in the SFL: hence the rapid expansion in the early/mid 90s with Ross County, ICT (another story in itself...), Elgin City and Peterhead. This weakened the HFL and by extension the NCL and NRJFA as clubs moved around.

Edited by Cyclizine

9 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

It's a reflection on the voting strategies of the league clubs whenever vacancies appeared. For many years, Aberdeen were the most northerly club. Any HFL teams applying for vacancies weren't elected for whatever reason (I'd assume central belt clubs not being keen on travel). This meant the HFL was by far the strongest of the senior leagues outwith the SFL/SPL and eventually it became untenable that no Highland team was in the SFL: hence the rapid expansion in the early/mid 90s with Ross County, ICT (another story in itself...), Elgin City and Peterhead. This weakened the HFL and by extension the NCL and NRJFA as clubs moved around.

That's right and also the reason Ferranti Thistle got in back in the day. Highland clubs have since shown how ridiculous it was that they had no teams in the SPFL before the early 90s.  

For me this is just more evidence that a pyramid should have been in place a long, long time ago. Back then, who would have thought there would be a Highland Derby in the Premiership one day? It could have come a lot sooner had a system been in place. Similarly now the HL has lost all its best teams, I think the north juniors and NCL can revitalise the HL via promotion and relegation, albeit time is needed to allow more teams to get licences and become eligible to go up.

Edited by Cameron Wilson

17 minutes ago, Cyclizine said:

NLS isn't the source, it just collates the Twitter feeds, like several other websites.

Yes, but it is where I sourced the info so it seemed fair to mention.

1 hour ago, Dev said:

….. so you would reject some clubs from membership just because it would make the conference numbers uneven?

There will be Cup matches as well as league matches and there will be free weekends anyway as a consequence of this and cup replays, postponed matches, etc, anyway!

Where did I suggest rejecting any teams?

Answer = I didn't.

Do the maths - 16+16+17+17=66 and 16+18+16+16 =66 also!

I merely pointed out that by keeping the divisions with an odd number of clubs to a minimum you avoid having some being unnecessarily idle on matchdays (without increasing the number of matchdays as it happens!)

Of course, now we know there are 68 applicants there could be FOUR 17-club divisions thereby wasting even more Matchday opportunities!!

64 Clubs which have confirmed that they've applied:    
(** means Subject to Verification)      
Premiership (16) Championship (16) League One (16) League Two (13) Others (3)
Auchinleck Talbot Arthurlie Ardrossan Winton Rovers Annbank United Bonnyton Thistle  
Beith Juniors Blantyre Victoria Bellshill Athletic Ardeer Thistle Drumchapel Utd PYM
Benburb Cambuslang Rangers Carluke Rovers Ashfield Glasgow University
Clydebank Craigmark Burntonians East Kilbride Thistle Forth Wanderers  
Cumnock Juniors Cumbernauld United Girvan Johnstone Burgh  
Glenafton Athletic Dalry Thistle Glasgow Perthshire Lugar Boswell Thistle **  
Hurlford United ** Darvel Greenock Juniors Muirkirk Juniors  
Irvine Meadow XI Gartcairn Juniors Kello Rovers Newmains United  
Kilbirnie Ladeside Irvine Victoria Lanark United St Anthony's  
Kilwinning Rangers Kilsyth Rangers Larkhall Thistle Thorniewood United **  
Kirkintilloch Rob Roy Neilston Juniors Lesmahagow Juniors Vale of Clyde  
Largs Thistle Petershill Maryhill Vale of Leven  
Pollok Renfrew Port Glasgow Juniors Yoker Athletic  
Rossvale Shotts Bon Accord Royal Albert    
Rutherglen Glencairn St Roch's Shettleston    
Troon Whitletts Victoria Wishaw Juniors    

(4) Not confirmed:        
Premiership (0) Championship (0) League One (0) League Two (2) Others (2)
      Maybole Juniors  Amat 1
      Saltcoats Victoria Amat 2

26 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

How do you know? See Dev's latest post above.

My post refers to those clubs which have gone public. It doesn't mean that clubs didn't apply just because there's "public" confirmation not yet spotted.

2 hours ago, LongTimeLurker said:

What peope have been telling us is that all 63 west region clubs were in and there were 3 non-juniors. Unless that changed at the very last minute the only explanation that fits to get to 68 is 2 east region junior clubs.

When was it announced that there "were only 3 non-juniors".  Your statement opened with an (incorrect) assumption, not based on fact. Having made this mistake, you then WRONGLY jumped to a conclusion that the only explanation to get to 68 applicants, is 2 East Region junior clubs (transferring to the West). Which I am sure you will agree, is erroneous.

One of this forum's most reliable posters, Dev, has stated that 2 extra Amateur clubs, have submitted applications, and  I usually trust his information.

You also cast doubt about my post last Monday, when I confirmed that Glasgow University had already applied to join the WoSL. I also said that there would be an official announcement to follow, and you now have it. It was a fact, not an opinion, as I spelt out at the time.  

I don't indulge in exchanging insults on here, but just for once, it would be nice if you apologised for an error, instead of having a go at me.