Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

I'd like to have seen the entire SOSFL apply for the confrence season of the WOSFL and the LL pyramid would be sorted within 1 season.  Keeping the SOSFL at tier 6 makes no sense if their teams aren't strong enough to compete with the East and West champions, the SOSFL and WOSFL should be one league with the East v West playoff to go up, hopefully in the future it'll be both promoted. They can't have the argument the SOSFL has existed for X number of years so should just remain at tier 6 permanently when the WRJFA and ERJFA have ripped their leagues up to get the WOS and EOS sorted.  Any ambitious SOSFL team should be joining the WOSFL as playing in a better league will help to improve them.  

One thing at a time.

Get the WoS up and running first, the SoS can be sorted later. A lot of SoS teams wouldnt have the resources to be travelling up to eg Dunbartonshire every other week. That would be a completely pointless exercise anyway when there are 13 other teams in the same area they can play. 

The WoS could be going regional at some point anyway, avoiding an overly linear system. possibly the season after next. At that point the SoS can drop a tier and become a feeder to the WoS Premier.

It's not a great league, but as ive said before, its not as bad as some seem to think it is.

I've little doubt the SoS will eventually either amalgamate with the WoSFL or become a feeder to it. I think this will happen when clubs that should fall into the SoS area make it clear they would rather play in the EoS or WoS leagues and/or the bigger SoS teams decide they would rather play there like clubs like Gretna 2008 and Annan did when they went to the EoS league in times gone by.

If we were setting a pyramid from scratch that would be the best fit for them but, alas, we're not. I don't think clubs and leagues which bought into and fought for a pyramid system should be demoted just because other clubs and fans, who dithered and only arrived years later grudgingly, say so.

It doesn't do other clubs any harm to have to SoS remain and the SoS are happy for the timebeing.

48 minutes ago, Marshmallo said:

It covers a far smaller geographical area and a far smaller population than the West and East leagues at the same tier. There is also an overlap in territory between the two leagues (eg Kello in the West and Bonnyton in the South).

The SoSFL was here before the WoSFL if anything maybe the WoSFL should go to tier 7.

1 hour ago, Robert James said:

Thanks Doonhamer.  I did make a passing reference to junior clubs "north of Tayside" under my the East subheading.

However, I was trying to drum up some interest/views/updates about the  West Lothian, the North (of) Tayside, and the North Region Junior leagues/clubs. Surprisingly, there seems to be very little information about  "the future of the juniors"   unless it relates to the formation of the West Region, which has been extensively discussed on this forum. 

Nothing wrong with that of course, but there is a bigger picture for the Scottish pyramid as a whole, and for the future of the juniors outwith the pyramid...

Aye, we need to start talking about the north and Tayside etc.

30 minutes ago, BMan said:

I believe there were 9 applicants for the EoS come the deadline date. We've already pieced together 8 of them, I wonder who the 9th was (I don't know).

Obvious guess would be Syngenta given they applied last year, but not clear where they would be able to play. After that might as well throw a dart at a map of West Lothian. Will be interesting to see if there was any substance to Stenhousemuir Amateurs joining the east region to provide a fourth tribute act.

3 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Obvious guess would be Syngenta given they applied last year, but not clear where they would be able to play. After that might as well throw a dart at a map of West Lothian. Will be interesting to see if there was any substance to Stenhousemuir Amateurs joining the east region to provide a fourth tribute act.

Ill go for Whitburn, Fauldhouse or Tayport

42 minutes ago, BMan said:

I believe there were 9 applicants for the EoS come the deadline date. We've already pieced together 8 of them, I wonder who the 9th was (I don't know).

Maybe it's Scone Thistle?

With neighbours Jeanfield Swifts and Kinnoull already gone, and doing well, and rumours surrounding Luncarty too, maybe they don't want to be the odd Perth-man out?

They could move now at Tier 7 rather than maybe move later at Tier 8 or 9. That's if they wished to move at all.

Edited by Dev

4 hours ago, G4Mac said:

For me the sosfl should remain exactly where it is, it doesnt do anyone any harm where it us, it is unlikely to take a promotion place away from anyone in the eosfl or wosfl in the near future and there are traditional south teams currently playing LL football.

This is what frustrates people, the juniors are on board (which is great) but now everyone has to change or demote themselves to allow them a stronger footing in the pyramid, the new season hasn't started yet and already people want a league moved or demoted.

There is only a couple of teams in the south league who will get licensed and fight out for promotion, even then the eos or wos champions should, on paper, have too much for said team, so why is the sosfl remaining at tier 6 an issue? (which they have earned over the years btw)

Exactly.

The creation of the Lowland League already dropped the SoS a tier. They should , on strength of the league, drop another tier, but there are other priorities.

1. Get the WoS up and running.

2. Sort out a pyramid in the north of the country.

When important stuff like that is sorted, the position of the SoS in the pyramid can be examined, it's not crucial.

It's more than a bit rich folk talking about the NCL, who can't organise a 16 game league season without making Orkney play twice on the same day, a Tier 6 feeder league ,while suggesting the SoS , a well run league for many decades, should suddenly drop down below that level to make way for West Juniors, some of whom are vehemently anti -pyramid and are only joining the WoS reluctantly.

Edited by Doonhamer1969

13 minutes ago, LongTimeLurker said:

Think its scone from perthshire.

1 minute ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Exactly.

The creation of the Lowland League already dropped the SoS a tier. They should , on strength of the league, drop another tier, but there are other priorities.

1. Get the WoS up and running.

2. Sort out a pyramid in the north of the country.

When important stuff like that is sorted, the position of the SoS in the pyramid can be examined, iis not crucial.

it's more than a bit rich folk talking about the NCL, who cant organise a 16 game league season without making Orkney play twice on the same day, a Tier 6 feeder league ,while suggesting the SoS , a well run league for many decades, should suddenly drop down to make way for West Juniors, some of whom are vehemently anti pyramid and are only joining the WoS reluctantly.

"

Exactly - no-one wants to be the kind of dick that moves into a new neighbourhood then immediately starts telling the neighbours what colour he wants them to paint their houses.

If the SoS champions are good enough to win a playoff, they will.

Virtually every year however they won't, so it's a non-issue to my mind what tier they're at.

2 minutes ago, patriot1 said:

I'd be happy with Scone. Can't see it being Tayport at all. 

Probably not as they're adamant they're a Dundee team rather than Fife but they should apply as they're in risk of being left behind if the Dundee teams form a feeder to the Highland League.  Doesn't look likely at the moment but could happen.  

1 hour ago, G4Mac said:

And the LL already highlighted that said geographical integrity would be maintained through this process. There was also no mention if the sosfl being demoted to bring the juniors on board.

Just because they may cover a small area and may not have many teams who will want to play in the LL or get a licence, doesnt mean they should step aside and lose the place they have fought very long and very hard to achieve.

The sosfl is where it is on merit, it is where it is as it bought into the pyramid at the inception of said pyramid.

It isnt doing any club or other association any harm where it resides at tier 6, it doesnt have to move anywhere for the pyramid to work properly, it also provides a landing league for LL clubs who came from it to form the LL (weakening the sosfl in the process just to get the LL up and running because others turned their nose up at the very suggestion of a footballing pyramid)

How exactly did the SoS League "fight very long and very hard" to be at tier 6? How is it where it is "on merit"?

I'm all for merit and wouldn't demote anybody. Give these teams a chance to find their level by putting them in conferences against any incoming West Juniors.

35 minutes ago, Baldie2k19 said:

The SoSFL was here before the WoSFL if anything maybe the WoSFL should go to tier 7.

"Aye but that's the way it's always been!" is the sort of attitude the Juniors got panned for.

48 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I've little doubt the SoS will eventually either amalgamate with the WoSFL or become a feeder to it. I think this will happen when clubs that should fall into the SoS area make it clear they would rather play in the EoS or WoS leagues and/or the bigger SoS teams decide they would rather play there like clubs like Gretna 2008 and Annan did when they went to the EoS league in times gone by.

If we were setting a pyramid from scratch that would be the best fit for them but, alas, we're not. I don't think clubs and leagues which bought into and fought for a pyramid system should be demoted just because other clubs and fans, who dithered and only arrived years later grudgingly, say so.

It doesn't do other clubs any harm to have to SoS remain and the SoS are happy for the timebeing.

This isn't strictly true. The play-offs for promotion will end up being convoluted as a direct result of their involvement.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This isn't strictly true. The play-offs for promotion will end up being convoluted as a direct result of their involvement.

True, so they can drop down a tier at some point.

Im just saying it isnt an immediate priority, getting the WoS running and creating a pyramid north of the Tay is IMHO.

Edited by Doonhamer1969

Just now, Doonhamer1969 said:

True, so they can drop down a tier at some point 

Im just saying it isnt an immediate priority, getting the WoS running and creating a pyramid north of the Tay is IMHO.

Defiantly, it's not a priority but in my opinion will need looked at but I would have liked to see the South teams who genuinely want to or have the ability to progress join the new WOSFL as it'd probably make a future merger much easier is the SOSFL is genuinely only  a county league.  anyway enough about that, so 9 teams for the EOS and around 50 for the WOS going to be an interesting season next year if it ever gets started.  

3 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

True, so they can drop down a tier at some point 

Why can all of these things not be done in parallel?

I would argue that in setting up a WoS and continuing to run an SoS league with a geographical overlap they've missed the boat on what was a pretty simple fix - rebrand the SoS, encourage every Lowland area team east of eg Harthill to apply to the SoS and run conferences. Everyone gets an opportunity to find their level, no one is demoted, and the geographic split is clearly defined.

8 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't think we can blame the SoSFL for a convoluted play off when they're not the ones amending it by adding a new league in

I'm not blaming them, I'm just pointing out that the trite comment people keep making that it "doesn't affect anyone else" isn't at all true.