Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 minutes ago, parkcircus said:

Or just ask me

What do you want know?

Our position at the moment is the same, however if the SJFA are to undergo modernisation and wholesale transformation then we will look at what benefits being a member brings to Kilwinning Rangers and possibly revisit our position.

I don't know who you are which is why I didn't ask you. I was simply responding to two posters, one of whom thought Kilwinning were leaving the SJFA and another who believed they may have changed their mind because of the WRSJFA/LL agreement. 

I then asked for clarification from anyone who had viewed the Q & A session. 

Not sure what I've done wrong here. 

1 minute ago, morley said:

Remember an issue is that there are a couple of clubs in the LL currently who  would drop into the SoS if relegated. 

Will they though? or will they choose to drop into a stronger WOSFL.  Just because they are currently SOSFA member doesn't mean they can't change.  Where will Calidonian Braves go?

6 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I haven't suggested they should remain a Tier 6 league - I don't think they should. There are loads of other alternatives beyond forcing the smaller, basically local amateur, clubs into a set-up where they're going to be heading up to Glasgow to get pumped 7-0 every other week.

Didn't say you did but the teams need to decide what they want, tier 6 or local football,  some sort of merger between SOSFL and WOSFL needs to take place in the near future.  It' can't just remain tier 6 covering a tiny area of the country.  

16 minutes ago, San Starko Rover said:

Will they though? or will they choose to drop into a stronger WOSFL.  Just because they are currently SOSFA member doesn't mean they can't change.  Where will Calidonian Braves go?

Surely it would suit them to go back into the SoSL because it would be easier to win thus gain promotion playoff again

Edited by razamanaz

14 minutes ago, morley said:

Remember an issue is that there are a couple of clubs in the LL currently who  would drop into the SoS if relegated. 

That's something that I imagine will also be reassessed. Right now only 4 Lowland League clubs (East Kilbride, Caledonian Braves, Gretna 2008, and Dalbeattie Star) would be relegated to the SoSFL. Two of those East Kilbride and Caledonian Braves should be going to the WoSFL. Gretna 2008 might be located in the SoSFL traditional area but have never actually played in the league. They are still also a member of the EoSFA instead of the SCFA. So they might try to get the WoSFL as their nominated league for relegation purposes.

24 minutes ago, Doonhamer1969 said:

Pretty comprehensive, but dont forget Tayside !

Thanks Doonhamer.  I did make a passing reference to junior clubs "north of Tayside" under my the East subheading.

However, I was trying to drum up some interest/views/updates about the  West Lothian, the North (of) Tayside, and the North Region Junior leagues/clubs. Surprisingly, there seems to be very little information about  "the future of the juniors"   unless it relates to the formation of the West Region, which has been extensively discussed on this forum. 

Nothing wrong with that of course, but there is a bigger picture for the Scottish pyramid as a whole, and for the future of the juniors outwith the pyramid...

3 minutes ago, razamanaz said:

Surely it would suit them to go back into the SoSL because it would be easier to win thus gain promotion playoff again

Not if a season of playing weaker teams sees them lose their best players and then get hammered in a playoff every year forever stuck in the SOSFL.  Playing in a better league means better money, better crowds and the ability to recruit better players.  It'd be like Celtic playing the EPL champions every season they'd get beat most seasons but if they moved to the EPL they'd be able to attract better players and have more income.  

33 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

The best way to start the wosl would be to make it optional, that way clubs could have seen that it wasnt the big bad wolf etc and joined in their own time. Who’s ever said clubs who join should be cast adrift? Madness.

It was, and still is, optional.  The West junior management have no mandate (or power) to order anyone to move.

For me the sosfl should remain exactly where it is, it doesnt do anyone any harm where it us, it is unlikely to take a promotion place away from anyone in the eosfl or wosfl in the near future and there are traditional south teams currently playing LL football.

This is what frustrates people, the juniors are on board (which is great) but now everyone has to change or demote themselves to allow them a stronger footing in the pyramid, the new season hasn't started yet and already people want a league moved or demoted.

There is only a couple of teams in the south league who will get licensed and fight out for promotion, even then the eos or wos champions should, on paper, have too much for said team, so why is the sosfl remaining at tier 6 an issue? (which they have earned over the years btw)

It's completely understandable that a pyramid in a country of very uneven population density there will be uneven leagues at the same tier. The North Caledonian League could be Tier 6 under the HL and there's no fair way around that, really.

Let's just leave the SoS alone and if their champion wins a promotion play-off, they'll deserve it.

2 hours ago, Marshmallo said:

Merge the South and West structures and let teams find their level within that. If they want to have a regional South league which covers a far smaller percentage of the population then that's fine. It shouldn't be at tier 6 though.

And why not?

1 minute ago, Baldie2k19 said:

And why not?

It covers a far smaller geographical area and a far smaller population than the West and East leagues at the same tier. There is also an overlap in territory between the two leagues (eg Kello in the West and Bonnyton in the South).

It covers a far smaller geographical area and a far smaller population than the West and East leagues at the same tier. There is also an overlap in territory between the two leagues (eg Kello in the West and Bonnyton in the South).
And the LL already highlighted that said geographical integrity would be maintained through this process. There was also no mention if the sosfl being demoted to bring the juniors on board.

Just because they may cover a small area and may not have many teams who will want to play in the LL or get a licence, doesnt mean they should step aside and lose the place they have fought very long and very hard to achieve.

The sosfl is where it is on merit, it is where it is as it bought into the pyramid at the inception of said pyramid.

It isnt doing any club or other association any harm where it resides at tier 6, it doesnt have to move anywhere for the pyramid to work properly, it also provides a landing league for LL clubs who came from it to form the LL (weakening the sosfl in the process just to get the LL up and running because others turned their nose up at the very suggestion of a footballing pyramid)

21 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It's completely understandable that a pyramid in a country of very uneven population density there will be uneven leagues at the same tier. The North Caledonian League could be Tier 6 under the HL and there's no fair way around that, really.

Let's just leave the SoS alone and if their champion wins a promotion play-off, they'll deserve it.

You have summed it up. You can't change geography and the whole idea of the pyramid is for clubs to have the opportunity to find their own level, wherever they are based. 

No glass ceilings thanks.

2 hours ago, sweep said:

You are wrong Lugar Boswell thistle put their application in at the meeting at East kilbride.   When the question was asked at the end of the meeting (Have any club applied) The answer was one. That one was Lugar who were the first team to apply

Good to hear. Thanks for the information.

Obviously this will soon be academic, as there's bound to be a announcement about which clubs have applied in due course.

The club doesn't seem to use social media and I've not come across any newpaper reports, either, covering this. Are you an official of the club? If not, is there any chance that someone can verify?

15 minutes ago, Dev said:

You have summed it up. You can't change geography and the whole idea of the pyramid is for clubs to have the opportunity to find their own level, wherever they are based. 

No glass ceilings thanks.

How does the SOS teams being part of the WOS provide a glass ceiling? They are in the South West of Scotland, if they covered the SOS they would include the East border teams, in reality they are a D&G  league and they're not at tier 6 on merit they're at tier 6 because they bought in early to the pyramid.  How many SOS teams are in the LL I count two one of which is based in Motherwell and I doubt will want to play in D&G league once the WOS is established if they're relegated.  By all means leave them where they are but what scored do you think we'll see when Bo'ness and Talbot play the SOS champions, what was Kelty's score 7-0 & 4-0

Edited by San Starko Rover

42 minutes ago, GordonS said:

It creates an enormous jump between Tier 5 and Tier 6 in that area. I don't think it's too farfetched to have the slightly bigger South clubs like Threave Rovers competing (or being eligible to compete) in a West of Scotland League as a buffer between the South of Scotland and the Lowland League.

I understand the reasons for keeping the SoS as a Tier 6 league right now, but I think it does have to be reassessed at some point down the line, especially if Scottish Cup entry and entry to other competitions end up being tied to which tier you're in (as I think they really should be).

1 minute ago, San Starko Rover said:

How does the SOS teams being part of the WOS provide a glass ceiling? They are in the South West of Scotland, if they covered the SOS they would include the East border teams, in reality they are a D&G  league and they're not at tier 6 on merit they're at tier 6 because they bought in early to the pyramid.  How many SOS teams are in the LL I count two one of which is based in Motherwell and I doubt will want to play in D&G league once the WOS is established if they're relegated.  By all means leave them where they are but what scored do you think we'll see when Bo'ness and Talbot play the SOS champions, what was Kelty's score 7-0 & 4-0

Considering geographic integrity, supported by BSC Glasgow's designated league for relegation being the EoSFL since the currently play in Alloa. There are only two LL clubs that should be considered SoSFL clubs from now on Dalbeattie Star and Gretna 2008.

47 minutes ago, G4Mac said:

For me the sosfl should remain exactly where it is, it doesnt do anyone any harm where it us, it is unlikely to take a promotion place away from anyone in the eosfl or wosfl in the near future and there are traditional south teams currently playing LL football.

This is what frustrates people, the juniors are on board (which is great) but now everyone has to change or demote themselves to allow them a stronger footing in the pyramid, the new season hasn't started yet and already people want a league moved or demoted.

There is only a couple of teams in the south league who will get licensed and fight out for promotion, even then the eos or wos champions should, on paper, have too much for said team, so why is the sosfl remaining at tier 6 an issue? (which they have earned over the years btw)

Yeah wholeheartedly agree.

I cannot state SOS league should be lower down or under or in with the WOS at tier 7 etc.. as I haven't watched any teams in the SOS but going by all accounts the league sounds weaker than the EOS and the new WOS but if that's so it will not effect the WOS or EOS playoff if both leagues are stronger so just let them reside where they are.  The pyramid is becoming stronger with the new WOS and more teams joining the EOS league and the talks with the north n Tayside, so we are in a good place.  Lets hope we all get over this convid 19 and get back to football as I feel a lot more potential I'm the standard, the excitement, sponsorship the anticipation will make it a place where everyone wants to watch all the none league football.  For me personally, I'm very excited at the U20 development league and seeing how this is going to progress and the effect on the teams younger and older as well, meaning the U17s, U19s U21s