Junior football, what is the future?

Burnie_man

3 minutes ago, the rambler said:

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere. If a West team is promoted to the LL and the relegated team is from the East, I presume the relegated East team drops into the EOSFL. 

Does this mean the top division EOSFL has an extra team for the following season or until such time as an East team is promoted and a West team is relegated? 

If the EoS Premier Division has a surplus of 16 they will relegate a 4th club.

This would also mean extra promotion to the EoS Premier Division in some years where the reverse is true. EoS club promoted to the LL, LL relegated goes to the SoS/WoS.

Edited by FairWeatherFan

2 minutes ago, Beenzon-Toste said:
11 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:
Have the moaners said *why* their football life is suddenly going to be awful in the WoSL?
Thought not.

Aye, c'mon, Glensmad, FairWeatherFan, parkcircus, etc, tell us why.

That's more for the likes of yourself that has tended to be more pro-Junior than pro-Pyramid.

I don't think it should be underestimated that solidarity is still a deeply-held principle in many post-industrial communities in Scotland. Solidarity means you benefit from the collective strength of your people, but sometimes it requires you to do things you don't agree with or that don't benefit you personally, to keep the benefits of being part of that community.  It means others sacrifice a bit of autonomy for you, and you do the same for them.

I think we've seen this play out in the west, where there has been much, much stronger attempts to stick together and all move at once, or none at all. It's made the process slower but in the end it means they will all go.

Other here might think that each club should be completely free and unfettered to decide whatever suits them best, but that's not a value-free opinion. It assumes clubs have lower obligations to each other than those in the West Juniors generally feel.

Having lived in the east and the west of Scotland this is something I've noticed more generally. Each has its pros and cons.

1 hour ago, Beenzon-Toste said:
1 hour ago, Dev said:
Another reason why the "old guard" which runs the current West Juniors organisation mustn't be allowed anywhere near a position of authority in the new league.

Better get yourself all prepared for more heartbreak then.

Really?

2 minutes ago, glensmad said:
5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:
Hope Kennie Young stays aboard as he has been a breath of fresh air this season.

I don't think Kennie will be doing the fixtures next season. I believe there will be a season-long fixture list.

Done by LL? Even within their structure there requires a bit of juggling. Kenny McLean (Hibee Jibee) can't do it all surely?

5 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Done by LL? Even within their structure there requires a bit of juggling. Kenny McLean (Hibee Jibee) can't do it all surely?

If true, maybe it's thought with his experience of Conferences the last couple of years he's better prepared to manage it in the first year.

Its also maybe a way to avoid filling the Secretary/Fixture Secretary type posts in the first year.

That's more for the likes of yourself that has tended to be more pro-Junior than pro-Pyramid.
You've got me wrong then. I'm pro-Junior and pro-Pyramid. It is possible to be both.
I believe it's time to accept what's going to come about and time to put all the ill feelings and bitterness aside and work together to make this the best that it can be.

1 hour ago, FairWeatherFan said:

If the EoS Premier Division has a surplus of 16 they will relegate a 4th club.

This would also mean extra promotion to the EoS Premier Division in some years where the reverse is true. EoS club promoted to the LL, LL relegated goes to the SoS/WoS.

Unless the rules are different from the Lowland League, there would never be an extra promotion, but rather one fewer relegation.

2 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Unless the rules are different from the Lowland League, there would never be an extra promotion, but rather one fewer relegation.

They are different as the EoSFL doesn't have to consider licencing.

If the playoffs above sees the EoS Premier end up with 17 cubs then 4th bottom is relegated.

If the playoffs above see the EoS Premier end up with 15 clubs then a 4th club is promoted from the EoS First.

25 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Think it's better to have one person coordinating things between the LL and the three feeders given the complexity caused by trying to have season long league fixture lists while having multiple cup competitions that require fixed dates across all four leagues.

It's not like the juniors has traditionally been where the SJC took priority and everything else could get shunted about region by region at short notice to try to keep most teams playing.

I'm hoping that the article providing the views of the Wishaw Juniors secretary is only partially true.

That is:  Things are going to be very financially challenging in the short to medium term. Sadly, I think we all know that is true,  particularly for the smaller clubs.

But the bit about having to join the new league is, I hope, a red herring and that talks are ongoing with some other teams and the ERSJFA about expanding the East region and perhaps renaming it.

It's too depressing to believe that ALL the junior clubs are going to kill off  junior football in the West of Scotland.